Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sunshine (Danny Boyle) 1/8/08

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-07, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunshine (Danny Boyle) 1/8/08

Unusually, the last place to receive this release is the United States.
It looks like it will be missing the 2nd audio commentary, the trailers, and the DTS

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/sunshine3.html

CENTURY CITY, Calif. – In the year 2057, the sun is dying and mankind with it . . . but even the coldest reaches of space burn with the heat of humanity’s will to survive in the thrilling sci-fi adventure Sunshine, launching onto DVD and Blu-Ray Disc (BD) January 8 from Fox Home Entertainment. “One of the brightest science-fiction forays ever realized on film” (Chicago Tribune), Sunshine follows a daring crew of eight men and women as they boldly fight against the inevitable by striving for the impossible: to deliver a device into the heart of the sun in an attempt to breathe new life into the star. Helmed by visionary director Danny Boyle (28 Days Later, The Beach), who injects the genre with a shot of adrenaline and human pathos by exploring both the depths of space and the heights of heroism, Sunshine has been hailed as “a thinking person’s thriller” (EntertainmentWeekly.com). Fighting against all odds for the survival of the human race is an all-star cast that includes Cillian Murphy (Batman Begins, Red Eye), Chris Evans (Fantastic Four), Michelle Yeoh (Babylon A.D., Memoirs Of A Geisha) and Rose Byrne (28 Weeks Later, Troy). But when the crew stumbles across a distress beacon from a spaceship lost years before, their journey into the unknown becomes even more harrowing…and their reach for the supreme star grows all the more perilous. The Sunshine DVD features deleted scenes, director commentary, web production diaries and two short films and is available for the suggested retail price of $29.98 U.S./$43.48 Canada. Sunshine will also be available day-and-date in high-def format on Blu-ray Disc (BD) priced at $39.98 U.S. / $49.98 Canada. Prebook is December 12, 2007.

DVD Special Features

The Sunshine DVD is presented in widescreen format, and features English 5.1 Dolby Digital as well as Spanish and French Dolby Surround and English, Spanish and French subtitles. Bonus materials include:

• Audio Commentary By Director Danny Boyle
• Deleted Scenes With Commentary By Danny Boyle, Including:
o Playing Chess
o It Really Takes It Out Of You
o Washing Carrots In The Oxygen Garden
o Coolant Redirection
o Cooking
o Wake-up
o Demolished Oxygen Garden
o Searle Meets Capa
o In Deeper Space Than We Are
o Prepping For Docking
o Rough Docking Procedure
o Fight And Then We Die
o Alternate Ending

• Web Production Diaries
o Danny Boyle Introduction
o Zero G Flight
o Cillian Murphy
o Pre Viz
o Science Of The Sun
o Hiroyuki
o Troy Garity Harvey Introduction
o Voice Of Icarus
o Michelle And O2 Garden
o Anita Screens
o Alwin Kuchler
o Cliff Curtis
o Bumps And Stunts
o Benny
o The Science Of Space Travel Physiology
o Space Suit
o Rose Intro
o Love Letters
o Chris Evans
o VFX
o Big Bangs
o The Science Of Sun Death
• Short Films
o Dad’s Dead Directed By Chris Shepherd
o Mole Hills Directed By Dan Arnold
Old 10-31-07, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Love this movie. May have to go with the R3 for DTS though. Damn format war. I would love this film in hi def.
Old 10-31-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm looking forward to this one...

gonna get it for sure...
Old 10-31-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good one IMO.
Old 10-31-07, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Loved this film, definite buy at some point.
Old 10-31-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, almost 6 months ... that was a really long theatrical to DVD release window. I'll definitely be adding this one to my collection when that price drops a bit; unless there's a nice steelbook exclusive or something, then it's a must buy on day one.
Old 10-31-07, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Oh good, i'll finally be able to actually watch this movie since it never showed anywhere around here at the theater.
Old 10-31-07, 09:19 AM

I'm all over this one.
Old 10-31-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Yavin
Wow, almost 6 months ... that was a really long theatrical to DVD release window. I'll definitely be adding this one to my collection when that price drops a bit; unless there's a nice steelbook exclusive or something, then it's a must buy on day one.
my thoughts exactly - i have held off on the R2 or R3 versions waiting (patiently) for an update.
Old 10-31-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now I have an opportunity to watch this movie. Even my local "indie" theater didn't get this movie.
Old 10-31-07, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I’ve been waiting along time for this release. Can’t wait ti’ll I finally get to see it.
Old 10-31-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Is there an HD-DVD in another region? Either way I'm looking forward to picking this up so I can finally see the movie.
Old 10-31-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Is there an HD-DVD in another region?
Unlikely. 20th Century Fox has released this in all regions.

This is one of the best movies of the year, severely hurt by Fox's limited release -- it could have made boatloads had it been marketed properly. I already bought the R3, which is NTSC and plan to simply reburn it as R0. Since the US release is missing stuff I'll probably get it previously viewed.
Old 10-31-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
While I was in Hong Kong in August, I saw the Region 3 release had already come out. Why does Region 3 come out so much earlier than Region 1? I picked up the VCD instead since I had never seen this film and it was only $6. Solid visuals and overall a good film. But, the VCD was in Foolscreen which sucked for this type of film. I may pick up the DVD so I can get it in Widescreen and hear Boyle's commentary.
Old 10-31-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So who is on the commentary track that was dropped for the Region 1 release?
Old 10-31-07, 02:22 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by manicsounds
Unusually, the last place to receive this release is the United States.
It looks like it will be missing the 2nd audio commentary, the trailers, and the DTS

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/sunshine3.html

CENTURY CITY, Calif. – In the year 2057, the sun is dying and mankind with it . . . but even the coldest reaches of space burn with the heat of humanity’s will to survive in the thrilling sci-fi adventure Sunshine, launching onto DVD and Blu-Ray Disc (BD) January 8 from Fox Home Entertainment. “One of the brightest science-fiction forays ever realized on film” (Chicago Tribune), Sunshine follows a daring crew of eight men and women as they boldly fight against the inevitable by striving for the impossible: to deliver a device into the heart of the sun in an attempt to breathe new life into the star. Helmed by visionary director Danny Boyle (28 Days Later, The Beach), who injects the genre with a shot of adrenaline and human pathos by exploring both the depths of space and the heights of heroism, Sunshine has been hailed as “a thinking person’s thriller” (EntertainmentWeekly.com). Fighting against all odds for the survival of the human race is an all-star cast that includes Cillian Murphy (Batman Begins, Red Eye), Chris Evans (Fantastic Four), Michelle Yeoh (Babylon A.D., Memoirs Of A Geisha) and Rose Byrne (28 Weeks Later, Troy). But when the crew stumbles across a distress beacon from a spaceship lost years before, their journey into the unknown becomes even more harrowing…and their reach for the supreme star grows all the more perilous. The Sunshine DVD features deleted scenes, director commentary, web production diaries and two short films and is available for the suggested retail price of $29.98 U.S./$43.48 Canada. Sunshine will also be available day-and-date in high-def format on Blu-ray Disc (BD) priced at $39.98 U.S. / $49.98 Canada. Prebook is December 12, 2007.

DVD Special Features

The Sunshine DVD is presented in widescreen format, and features English 5.1 Dolby Digital as well as Spanish and French Dolby Surround and English, Spanish and French subtitles. Bonus materials include:

• Audio Commentary By Director Danny Boyle
• Deleted Scenes With Commentary By Danny Boyle, Including:
o Playing Chess
o It Really Takes It Out Of You
o Washing Carrots In The Oxygen Garden
o Coolant Redirection
o Cooking
o Wake-up
o Demolished Oxygen Garden
o Searle Meets Capa
o In Deeper Space Than We Are
o Prepping For Docking
o Rough Docking Procedure
o Fight And Then We Die
o Alternate Ending

• Web Production Diaries
o Danny Boyle Introduction
o Zero G Flight
o Cillian Murphy
o Pre Viz
o Science Of The Sun
o Hiroyuki
o Troy Garity Harvey Introduction
o Voice Of Icarus
o Michelle And O2 Garden
o Anita Screens
o Alwin Kuchler
o Cliff Curtis
o Bumps And Stunts
o Benny
o The Science Of Space Travel Physiology
o Space Suit
o Rose Intro
o Love Letters
o Chris Evans
o VFX
o Big Bangs
o The Science Of Sun Death
• Short Films
o Dad’s Dead Directed By Chris Shepherd
o Mole Hills Directed By Dan Arnold
now if Fox were like Universal they would include all the extras [the extra commentaries, trailers, DTS sound option] for the BluRay - I'm surprised DTS is NOT part of the BR edition - since nearly all Fox BR's do feature it.
Old 10-31-07, 02:48 PM

Great movie - a real shame that it never found an audience.
Old 10-31-07, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
now if Fox were like Universal they would include all the extras [the extra commentaries, trailers, DTS sound option] for the BluRay - I'm surprised DTS is NOT part of the BR edition - since nearly all Fox BR's do feature it.
The Blu-Ray will have all the DVD stuff you listed as well as PIP commentary and there IS a DTS track on it. DTS-HD-MA, actually.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...e_Blu-ray/1130

Fox Issues Final Specs, Street Date for 'Sunshine' Blu-ray
Wed Oct 31, 2007 at 03:30 PM ET
Tags: Disc Announcements, Fox (all tags)

Fox's most technologically-advanced next-gen title ever is touching down on Blu-ray this January.

As we first reported yesterday, Fox announced that it was planning to bring 'Sunshine' to Blu-ray sometime in Q1, featuring the format's first Profile 1.1-ready picture-in-picture commentary and a host of other cutting-edge features. They've now issued full details and a street date for the eagerly-awaited title, which will hit Blu-ray on January 8, 2008, day-and-date with the standard-def DVD.

ADVERTISEMENT

In what the studio is dubbing "Enhanced Viewing Mode," the Blu-ray disc's picture-in-picture feature will make full use of the secondary video decoding capabilities of Profile 1.1-compliant Blu-ray players. Furthermore, the disc will also be the first to utilize Profile 1.1's live audio mixing abilities as well, with a "Surround Sound Mixer" feature that allows users to switch sound sources between main and secondary windows and "remix the audio of a scene from the movie.

(Note that we've received confirmation from Fox that the disc will be fully playable even in non-Profile 1.1-compliant Blu-ray players. The video portion of the "Enhanced Viewing Mode" will be viewable in a full-screen mode at standard DVD resolution (480p) only, while the "Surround Sound Mixer" feature will not be functional.)

Extras identical to the Blu-ray and standard DVD versions include an audio commentary with director Danny Boyle, a collection of 21 video diaries with introduction by Boyle, 12 deleted scenes, an alternate ending, two short films, and the original theatrical trailer.

Tech specs for the BD-50 dual-layer disc include 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 video and the studio's usual English DTS-HD Lossless Master Audio 5.1 Surround track.

Last edited by matome; 10-31-07 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-31-07, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sweet. I wish it was coming out in December but still good news.
Old 10-31-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by matome
The Blu-Ray will have all the DVD stuff you listed as well as PIP commentary and there IS a DTS track on it. DTS-HD-MA, actually.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...e_Blu-ray/1130
Sigh, those Blu-Ray specs make me want to upgrade ...
Old 10-31-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This and the Dave Matthews - Live At Radio City Blu-Ray may convince me to go from a single format supporter (I have HD-DVD) to owning both formats.
Old 11-01-07, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The best film of 2007.
Old 11-01-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
This would be one of the films to turn me to the Blu side. I'll Netflix the DVD for now as I loved this one in theatres.
Old 11-01-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Seantn
So who is on the commentary track that was dropped for the Region 1 release?
Dr. Brian Cox, the film's science advisor.
Old 11-01-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I'll probably blind-buy this one - just like I did w/ Millions.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.