Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What praised movie did you blind buy and feel disappointed?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What praised movie did you blind buy and feel disappointed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-07, 12:19 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaymole
Braveheart
My choice as well.
Old 11-01-07, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a difference between "not liking", "hating" and "being disappointed by".

Disappointment can also mean that you're left with a kind of "That's all?"-feeling; you might like the movie, but still feel disappointed.
Old 11-01-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

History of Violence. Worst piece of movie I have seen in a long time.
Old 11-01-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh, a big one for me was Ringu, the Japanese version of the Ring. The American one was SO much better. I couldn't believe that people even thought that Ringu was even halfway decent.

American version: very scary detective story.

Japanese version:
Spoiler:
three quarters of the way into the story, one of the main characters says "Oh, by the way, I'm psychic and this is happening because of that..."
That was the worst, cheapest way to get to the heart of the story I've ever heard in my life.
Old 11-01-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
oh, a big one for me was Ringu, the Japanese version of the Ring. The American one was SO much better. I couldn't believe that people even thought that Ringu was even halfway decent.

American version: very scary detective story.
Ringu is a sleeper. Not in the sense that it got success here years after release, it's just really really boring.
Old 11-01-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
I've gotten pretty lucky with my blind buys. My roommate buys some stuff I don't, so I've watched a lot he's bought. Unfortunately, one of those was Garden State. Had I bought that it would've made this list.

Donnie Darko is another one I'm glad I didn't blind buy.

The only movie I can remember blind buying and getting rid of was Anger Management, and I don't remember if it was praised or not.
Old 11-01-07, 02:50 PM

theres a few for me..

Lucky You
Man Of The Year
The Lake House
Employee Of The Month
Old 11-01-07, 03:20 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by hotsexyboi
theres a few for me..

Lucky You
Man Of The Year
The Lake House
Employee Of The Month
I don't think a single one of these movies was "praised."
Old 11-01-07, 03:29 PM

Saving Private Ryan
Old 11-01-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
The Royal Tenebaums

Don't know what the appeal on Wes Anderson's film. I found it unfunny, boring, didn't care for any of the characters in this film. I had to agree with one of the poster on Lady Venegance. I thought this might be a Kill Bill type film but was disappointed after watching it.
Old 11-01-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
History of Violence. Worst piece of movie I have seen in a long time.
That's strange grammar.
Old 11-01-07, 04:43 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
V for Vendetta
Old 11-01-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

May
Old 11-01-07, 06:58 PM
Banned

Requiem For A Dream made me wish for my time spent watching it back.

"ASS TO ASS!"
Old 11-01-07, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E.D.
I don't think a single one of these movies was "praised."

Employee of the Month was recommended to me by a lot of people, and it was just blah. Of course, that was the 2004 version with Matt Dillon, not sure which version the poster means.
Old 11-01-07, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Requiem For A Dream made me wish for my time spent watching it back.

"ASS TO ASS!"
I think that watching that film more than once would qualify as masochism.

Braveheart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X04wZpqx3U

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 11-01-07 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-01-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just curious ... do you watch many Japanese films? I'd also be curious about your take on Audition.

No worries either way, or about this thread .... I find the thread very amusing. It's a one man's trash is another man's treasure exercise to a T. And the fact that some appear to find offense to some titles listed is even more amusing. But I'm sorry you felt that way about Ringu.

Btw, Ringu is the original ... everything else is just a copy, for better or worse. Just a note on wording ....
Old 11-01-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll go on a limb and risk a gunshot by saying something that you'd never hear from a child of the 80's, but I'll say it.

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial. I always thought the movie was incredibly overrated, while I enjoyed it, it was never a "childhood favorite" like Ghostbusters, Gremlins or Back To The Future that I could watch over and over again, and even as an adult can still enjoy. I haven't seen E.T. in ages and it's not really something I feel compelled to want to see again, even tho for the majority of people in my age-group, it was a movie that changed our lives.

I'm gonna have to agree with the oft-mentioned Children Of Men also. The only highlight of the movie was the eight-minute non-stop climax scene. I thought that part was exciting but for the majority of the movie I didn't care for any of the characters.

Another one I'd say is The Matrix. The original one was good.... but that's it. It was good. It didn't merit the worship and adoration bestowed upon it, and both sequels were horrible IMO.
Old 11-02-07, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Worst blind buy for me was SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE. Could not stand it at all. Runner up would be THE HOST. It was okay but not worth seeing twice. Thankfully the other 10 or so blind buys have been good.
Old 11-02-07, 01:29 AM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
For me it was Saving Private Ryan. With all of the hype and talk I thought, “How could I go wrong?” The hyped up D-Day invasion scene…. I’ve seen stuff floating in the toilet of a nightclub that would give a worse case of P.T.S. disorder. And all I thought about was “when in the hell are they going to find this guy!”

Gave it away the next day.
Old 11-02-07, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EddieN
Two I'd never seen prior but blind bought based on much praise:

Suspiria
Hard-Boiled

Thought both were laughably bad.
Put me down for Suspiria too. The only thing I liked about the movie was the commercial/trailer for it where I found out it was the trailer that aired on TV that scared the crap out of me as a kid. Now that I'm older, it's laughable.
Old 11-02-07, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Pirates of the Caribbean. With one exception, everyone I know loved (not liked, loved) that movie, and for me it was dull and Johnny Depp (who I like in other things) was annoying as hell.
Old 11-02-07, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by visitor Q
Just curious ... do you watch many Japanese films? I'd also be curious about your take on Audition.

No worries either way, or about this thread .... I find the thread very amusing. It's a one man's trash is another man's treasure exercise to a T. And the fact that some appear to find offense to some titles listed is even more amusing. But I'm sorry you felt that way about Ringu.

Btw, Ringu is the original ... everything else is just a copy, for better or worse. Just a note on wording ....
Ringu may be the original, but the remake improved it greatly (contrary to everyone else's opinion on the 'net). Come on:
Spoiler:
a character randomly coming out as a psychic in the middle of the movie to explain what's going on?!?!?!
That's cheap and stupid and had zero creativity. Sorry, but I'm pissed I trusted everyone's opinion on this one and was horribly let down.

Seen a few Japanese "horror" movies. Another really bad blind Japanese "horror" buy I bought whose name escapes me was about a freakin' spiral. Can't believe I wasted my time on that one too.

I may check out the original version of the Grudge because I loved the US version and the Japanese director also had input on the US version, but I'm reluctant.

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 11-02-07 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-02-07, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by radewagon
This is such a strange thread. It proves the point that one man's trash is another's treasure.
That's the whole point of the thread... Ringu, Suspiria are universally praised. I bought them blind and was very disappointed.
Old 11-02-07, 08:31 AM
Cool New Member

Seen a few Japanese "horror" movies. Another really bad blind Japanese "horror" buy I bought whose name escapes me was about a freakin' spiral.
Uzumaki. I didnt like it much either.

Alot of the japanese horror films are a tad strange.
I liked Ringu better than The Ring. I think it was because I saw Ringu first and I was comparing the movies when I watched The Ring. Both movies are decent though.

The blind buy that left me disappointed was Casablanca. Its a good movie but, to me not great.

Knocked Up was another blind buy I had high hopes for. I liked the movie but I thought it was a little slow towards the end of the movie. I remember checking the the time remaining on the DVD player and I couldnt believe I had over 45 minutes to go. I was under the impression that Knocked Up was the funniest movie ever made.

To each his own.

swarty

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.