DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   What praised movie did you blind buy and feel disappointed? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/515823-what-praised-movie-did-you-blind-buy-feel-disappointed.html)

celmendo 10-30-07 10:29 AM

What praised movie did you blind buy and feel disappointed?

I did search but didn't see this thread so apologies if there's one already.

I heard nothing but how great a movie Children of Men was and ended up not liking it much at all. It's was overly grim and violent for me and the redeeming part of the story didn't make any of the stuff you had to sit through worth it in my opinion. Grim and depressing doesn't make a movie bad (The Pianist) but this just didn't work for me.

Thoughts, similar experiences?

TheMadMonk 10-30-07 10:46 AM

Quite a few, but Sideways, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind spring to mind.

MoviePage 10-30-07 10:52 AM

American Splendor

I'm sure there are plenty of others.

islandclaws 10-30-07 10:54 AM

Hard Candy. I kept reading how it was this awesome tale of retribution and payback, and then the damn thing was a total letdown. Weak story and sub-par acting made that one a blind buy I wish I'd rented first.

Edit to add Crash (The Paul Hack-is version). What a complete piece of shit.

Takeshi357 10-30-07 10:57 AM

Chopper Chicks in Zombietown.

Seriously, I heard Martin Scorcerse is a huge fan of this movie. He's either out of his mind or I've been lied to.

I should've checked out the IMDB score...

SoSpacey 10-30-07 11:02 AM

The Wonder Boys

The Eliminator 10-30-07 11:02 AM

Dead Alive and Overlord are the two that infuriate me the most.

nodeerforamonth 10-30-07 11:09 AM

Feast
Brotherhood of the Wolves

Trevor 10-30-07 11:18 AM

The Goonies

I truly believe that it is one of those films that you can see as a child and love, but see the first time as an adult and not enjoy much.

PixyJunket 10-30-07 11:20 AM

Donnie Darko

cgray 10-30-07 11:22 AM

Chris Marker's Sans Soleil -- a difficult watch that I'll be returning to. I had enjoyed La Jetee so much, but really didn't know what to expect with Sans Soleil.

gotrice487 10-30-07 11:24 AM

Unforgiven...I turned it off

bunkaroo 10-30-07 11:27 AM

Two that immediately come to mind are Crash (2004) and Babel.

Blech and blech.

BuckNaked2k 10-30-07 11:31 AM

I am embarrassed to say: Breathless.

I got the Criterion on a blind buy last week, and I was really surprised I didn't like this "landmark" film.

The Bus 10-30-07 12:07 PM

Dead Birds

Supposedly a really cool, creepy movie. It was about as good as a Sci-Fi movie of the week. A complete let down and I've heard nothing but praise for it.

danganet 10-30-07 12:17 PM

Most recently for me was: Marie Antoinette

The film looked gorgeous and the music was great, but I was bored out of my mind, it dragged and dragged. I want to love your films Sophia, please let me love them. So far she is 0-3 for me :(

naitram 10-30-07 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I am embarrassed to say: Breathless.

I got the Criterion on a blind buy last week, and I was really surprised I didn't like this "landmark" film.

I hated this film the first time I saw it, and I liked some other Godard. Watched it again a few years later and loved it, so go figure.

For me recently it's Invasion of the Body Snatchers ('78 version). I've always heard people rave about it - and it was alright - but I think it pales in comparison to the original.

celmendo 10-30-07 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Takeshi357
Chopper Chicks in Zombietown.

Seriously, I heard Martin Scorcerse is a huge fan of this movie. He's either out of his mind or I've been lied to.

I should've checked out the IMDB score...

Have to giggle at that one. I understand though.

and TheMadMonk - Eternal Sunshine? Sorry you didn't like that. Wonderful film but I can see how it's not to everyone's taste. I didn't like Sideways at all either but didn't buy it thankfully.

Glad I'm not the only one that couldn't just rent a DVD first! :D

chris_sc77 10-30-07 12:48 PM

Criterions Naked Lunch and the 39 steps both left me dissapointed.
Recently Cruising also left me dissapointed although the extras were good.

shanester 10-30-07 12:48 PM

Moulin Rouge

Man I hated that movie couldn't get through the whole thing

Deke Rivers 10-30-07 12:51 PM

Bubba Ho Tep
Cemetary Man

mickey65 10-30-07 12:55 PM

I always rent before I decide to buy. That's just me... :fro:

project86 10-30-07 01:30 PM

The Godfather trilogy, I've watched all three twice, and really can't understand the praise for it. The acting is good, but why do people think it's so quotable? And the quotes people use, they just say them randomly and usually have no connection to the conversation. I am keeping the trilogy though because this set, and another one which I'm about to talk about have had a a few viewings trying to like it haha.

The other collection of movies, the Stanley Kubrick set that just came out. A Clockwork Orange is good, I don't understand the hype of either the Shining, or 2001. For the Shining, yeah, Jack Nicholson is awesome, but some of the facts I read about how Kubrick butchered Stephen King's book made me dislike him. Apparently Kubrick was a real dick about everything.

Oh well.

Shannon Nutt 10-30-07 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by celmendo
I did search but didn't see this thread so apologies if there's one already.

I heard nothing but how great a movie Children of Men was and ended up not liking it much at all. It's was overly grim and violent for me and the redeeming part of the story didn't make any of the stuff you had to sit through worth it in my opinion. Grim and depressing doesn't make a movie bad (The Pianist) but this just didn't work for me.

Thoughts, similar experiences?

Similar yes...I blind bought the same film and had the same reaction. I didn't mind the grimness or violence, but I thought the story was third-rate (good premise, no follow-through).

Double_Oh_7 10-30-07 01:39 PM

Lost in Translation
Children of Men