Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

What praised movie did you blind buy and feel disappointed?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

What praised movie did you blind buy and feel disappointed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by basenjib123
With the exception of racist entitled movie "White men can't jump": (which I found to be very good) ...I disliked every other movie I have seen by Lee.

Nah, I misread the original post ...thought it said what movies did you watch ...not bought.
White men can't read.
Old 10-30-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Count_Zero
Versus: Ultimate Edition

The most tedious 2 1/2 hours I have ever wasted. Utterly pointless.
Now that's a damn crying shame One of my favorite leave your brain at the door films.

2001: A Space Odyssey I like Kubrick, I love sci-fi and I really enjoy long drawn out dramatic stories (Japanese in particular) but I couldn't take this film.

Switchblade Sisters Cult classic? Not exactly sure why ..and after seeing it, didn't really care to do the homework to find out.

Pusher Trilogy This set of films received a lot of Internet buzz especially around the time of the US release. I can recall a few reasons why but I really found that I could have cared less about any of the main characters. Considering the stories were character driven, well .. made it a bit tough.
Old 10-30-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I sense that some gear grinding is going to go on here..

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Edit to add Crash (The Paul Hack-is version). What a complete piece of shit.
Don't mince words; what do you REALLY think?

Eraserhead - I love David Lynch but I have no idea what is going on in this movie. Yet, I'm still oddly fascinated by it!

Transformers - I like Michael Bay (yeah, I'm the one), I missed it in theaters but I just HAD to have the 2-disc version I knew I was in for mindless entertainment but they forgot the entertainment part.
You like Michael Bay AND David Lynch? Aren't they incompatable? Wouldn't your brain explode ?

Braveheart - too much Hollywoodization
Are you British ...

Raging Bull.

Had never seen it. It's ranked #4 on the latest AFI poll -- high praise indeed. So I bought it blind and watched it. And then promptly sold it. Didn't want it in my collection, as I have no desire to ever watch it again. Great acting, yes. But there were no likeable characters in it for me. Dirty-mouthed, violent (wife-beating), alcoholic, abusive and downright unlikeable characters. And as far as the boxing scenes themselves go, I think those in the original Rocky are just as good if not better.

A huge disappointment for me.
I may or may not agree, but I can definately see where you're coming from. I think that Raging Bull is a superbly made film, however.

2001: A Space Odyssey I like Kubrick, I love sci-fi and I really enjoy long drawn out dramatic stories (Japanese in particular) but I couldn't take this film.
Thre are three reactions to 2001: You will either be (A pissed off, (B go "WTF?!" or C) be moved like a religious experience. I have not yet found a fourth reaction.

Lone Wolf and Cub 5: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons-Ric Meyers said it was the best in the series, but I thought it was one of the worst.
You should know not to trust Ric Meyers .

I am embarrassed to say: Breathless.

I got the Criterion on a blind buy last week, and I was really surprised I didn't like this "landmark" film.
That's a difficult one; it's definately a historically important film, but its entertainment value to a contemporary viewer is...sketchy.

Cemetary Man
That movie is...just...screwed up.

children of men - trash
It wasn't a BAD film, IMO, and it was a technical marvel, but the screenplay was way too scattershot and the film was overpraised. Trash? I think that's a bit strong .

fight club - i have no idea why people love this movie.
How old are you?

Too many to list in this thread but the most recent was probably The Departed.
Again, not a bad film per se, but I expect better from Scorcese.

Pirates of the Carribean- It bored the shit out of me.
THANK GOD! I thought that I was the only one! Movies about undead pirates should not be longer than GoodFellas.

The Godfather trilogy, I've watched all three twice, and really can't understand the praise for it. The acting is good, but why do people think it's so quotable? And the quotes people use, they just say them randomly and usually have no connection to the conversation. I am keeping the trilogy though because this set, and another one which I'm about to talk about have had a a few viewings trying to like it haha.
Hmm. That surprises me. I don't think that I've ever met anyone who didn't like the The Godfather I and II before...

Seven Samurai - it's not a BAD movie, but it sure ain't one I'd want to watch over and over.
Must...kill...

The other collection of movies, the Stanley Kubrick set that just came out. A Clockwork Orange is good, I don't understand the hype of either the Shining, or 2001. For the Shining, yeah, Jack Nicholson is awesome, but some of the facts I read about how Kubrick butchered Stephen King's book made me dislike him. Apparently Kubrick was a real dick about everything.

Oh well.
The Shining is horrendous. I'm sorry, it just is.
Old 10-30-07, 07:33 PM

The thing I like most is seeing such disparate reactions to films. Some of the ones people hate I loved and vice versa.

And to know there are others here that didn't like Children of Men and 2001!
You tend to think there's something wrong with you for not liking a "critically acclaimed" film. Seeing others felt the same makes it all better even though you know it's ridiculous to need someone else's validation.

Thanks for the warm fuzzy.
Old 10-30-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Crash

Old 10-30-07, 09:16 PM

Layer Cake
Old 10-30-07, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by celmendo
You tend to think there's something wrong with you for not liking a "critically acclaimed" film.
Fascinating insinuation.

But I think Rogue588's sig sums up the response much better than I ever could:
"I don't care what people think. People are stupid." - Charles Barkley

Last edited by visitor Q; 10-30-07 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-30-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts
First one to come to mind:
Closer. I didn't like any of the characters.

BTW, the majority of my DVDs are blind buys; I don't have any premium movie channels and I don't go to the movie theater anymore.
Old 10-30-07, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ditto!

Originally Posted by shanester
Moulin Rouge

Man I hated that movie couldn't get through the whole thing
I'll 2nd That!
Old 10-30-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

8 1/2. Picked it up with Fun Cash from Ch.com, so no big loss. I'll probably revisit it later, plus there are the usual load of extras to check out. I'm a fan of Fellini's early Neo-Realist stuff like Nights of Cabiria (an all time favorite) and La Strada, but I just couldn't get into 8 1/2. I found it tedious and self indulgent, with no real center. That being said, it's a visual stunner and at least there's plenty of eye candy. Also, not sure how 'praised' it was but Fassbinder's Rio das Mortes, picked up during the Wellspring sale, was a real chore to get through. What a pointless film.
Old 10-30-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thedrizzle
Top Secret - I loved Airplane and Kentucky Fried Movie but hated this movie.
This movie has a lot of "Police Squad"-ish gags which makes it good for a viewing every so often.

The plot really sucks though.
Old 10-31-07, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

American Beauty
Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000
K-PAX

X3
Old 10-31-07, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

VERSUS
CASSHERN
FATELESS (Hungarian WW2 flick)
MEMORIES OF MATSUKA
CHUNGKING EXPRESS
CITIZEN DOG
ALLEGRO (Danish flick)
STORM (Swedish sci-fi)
THE RETURN OF THE TALL BLOND MAN (Pierre Richard)
TAXIDERMIA
Old 10-31-07, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ouch, some hard to please folks here. There have been plenty I rented and detested. One I bought and couldn't comprehend was The Hours. Maybe my testicles got in the way, but I didn't find it all that interesting.
Old 10-31-07, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mystic River.

Boring as hell with an AWFUL ending. I can't understand how so many people thought it was so great.
Old 10-31-07, 06:25 AM

Moulin Rouge

It gave me a head-ache with the camera moves and butchered musical numbers.
Old 10-31-07, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips
BTW, the majority of my DVDs are blind buys; I don't have any premium movie channels and I don't go to the movie theater anymore.
I don't understand this philosophy. Why aren't you using Netflix then? It'd be a lot cheaper than blind buying everything, less expensive than driving out to make those purchases at a B&M and faster than waiting for Amazon/other net distributor to process and ship each one to you. I don't get it...
Old 10-31-07, 08:38 AM

The Third Man
Old 10-31-07, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I don't understand this philosophy. Why aren't you using Netflix then? It'd be a lot cheaper than blind buying everything, less expensive than driving out to make those purchases at a B&M and faster than waiting for Amazon/other net distributor to process and ship each one to you. I don't get it...
Cheaper, yes. Faster, no.
Old 10-31-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I heart Huckabees - I have no clue what people saw in this movie. I got about 30 minutes in and gave up because I hated every character in it.

Breakfast At Tiffany's - This must simply be a matter of me not seeing it in the context of the time it was made, but for a "classic" movie, it completely bored me. In fact, I fell asleep and really have no clue what happened in the last quarter of the movie. But I was bored by it.

-jason
Old 10-31-07, 08:59 AM

Two I'd never seen prior but blind bought based on much praise:

Suspiria
Hard-Boiled

Thought both were laughably bad.
Old 10-31-07, 09:07 AM

Princess Mononoke - like Seven Samurai, awfully underwhelming experience for what is supposed to be the maker's "best" outing.
Old 10-31-07, 09:16 AM

Solaris (1972) - I saw the Clooney version and actually liked it a lot so I bought the supposedly superior original. I've tried and tried with good faith, but I can't make it past 1 hour or so into this movie. I'm actually impressed with how boring it is. I don't think I could make a movie that boring and uninvolving if I tried.
Old 10-31-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by howwon
American Beauty
Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000
K-PAX

X3
I could see the first one, but when have Battlefield Earth and K-Pax been praised?
Old 10-31-07, 09:38 AM

Bought Criterion's Peeping Tom. British psycho they say, but I find it lame and mediocre.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.