Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Justice League: The New Frontier

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-08, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
This movie is fair, not as good as any episode of the series....So what the heck is The Center? The alien spaceship? The govt? I liked the Martian Manhunter storyline more than the Green Lantern storyline. Good animation, good soundtrack, but fair story, especially the sucky villains. Why do they always have these stupid aliens as villains? They did the same in the Avengers movies. I understand that it's an easy thing to "kill", but i'm tired of superhero movies using aliens/animals/bugs as target practice.

The movie should have used Darkseid and his minions...

Jeremy Sisto was interesting as Batman.
The Center is a creature that evolved at the dawn of time and as Darwyn Cooke said somewhere on the DVD, it was an obvious metaphor for communism, which everyone sort of missed.

DC in the 50's published a series of weird war comics that had people getting marooned on a place called "Monster Island". Cook merely incorporated that into his story and made the island sentient. So it's not an alien at all.

In the "New Frontier" comic, the story actually starts during WWII and with the Losers, a DC war comic team, landing on Monster Island in order to retrieve Rick Flagg and a German scientist. I think that part was referenced when Batman is viewing the microfilm photos.
Old 02-28-08, 07:54 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by EvlAsh
The DVD is sealed and it also includes the O-Ring.
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleSaint
yes it is.
Thanks! O-Ring?
Old 02-28-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's just a bizarre industry term for Slipcase.
Old 02-28-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nick...you will like it if you rent it....not for buying or blind buy.

If anyone is interested in Justice League, the final episode(s) of the final season of Justice Unlimited is awesome (with Darksied). I would buy the final season and if you like that season, then work backwards and buy the other seasons...
Old 02-28-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by toddly6666
Nick...you will like it if you rent it....not for buying or blind buy.

If anyone is interested in Justice League, the final episode(s) of the final season of Justice Unlimited is awesome (with Darksied). I would buy the final season and if you like that season, then work backwards and buy the other seasons...
I'd actually say the last 3 or 4 episodes of the first season of Unlimited are far better then the last season.

I'm watching the first two regular Justice League seasons on DVD since I never watched all of them on before, and a lot of episodes in Unlimited refer back to it (and Superman, Batman Beyond). If anything, i'd say start from the beginning! It makes the payoffs in Unlimited a lot cooler.
Old 02-28-08, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by whomod
I don't have any coke cans but will a Bud Lite bottle do?

What's the UPC number on your copy of the BB Exclusive?
Old 02-28-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EvlAsh
What's the UPC number on your copy of the BB Exclusive?
I remember the UPC on the box of the BB Exclusive was different from the UPC of the 2-Disc DVD inside.
Old 02-28-08, 08:03 PM

I just ended up getting the 1-disc version pricematched at CC using BB's add for under $13. I didn't see any point to getting a second disc with commentaries I'd never watch, and JLU episodes I already have.
Old 02-28-08, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by DGibFen
I remember the UPC on the box of the BB Exclusive was different from the UPC of the 2-Disc DVD inside.
It does, but I'm just trying to find out if our exclusive shares (most likely) the same UPC with the Canadian exclusive. I added it to DVDSpot using the UPC of the one that I bought, but it has been flagged as the Canadian exclusive.
Old 02-29-08, 06:34 AM

Has anyone watched the Legion of Doom doc on disc 2? Is it really good? I've bought the single disc version, but haven't opened it yet because I can't decide if I want to spring for the extra few bucks for the 2 discer. I'm leaning towards returning the single disc and buying the 2 disc set. Anyone have an opinion on this?
Old 02-29-08, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
Has anyone watched the Legion of Doom doc on disc 2? Is it really good? I've bought the single disc version, but haven't opened it yet because I can't decide if I want to spring for the extra few bucks for the 2 discer. I'm leaning towards returning the single disc and buying the 2 disc set. Anyone have an opinion on this?

I'd get the 2 disc. All the doucmentaries and commentaries on this release were good, including Th Legion Of Doom one. It's not that much more money anyways.

As for the UPC on the Green Lantern figure box, it's 8 8392900766 0
Old 02-29-08, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'd actually say the last 3 or 4 episodes of the first season of Unlimited are far better then the last season.

I'm watching the first two regular Justice League seasons on DVD since I never watched all of them on before, and a lot of episodes in Unlimited refer back to it (and Superman, Batman Beyond). If anything, i'd say start from the beginning! It makes the payoffs in Unlimited a lot cooler.
Agreed.

I really had a hard time swallowing the final season of JLU. As with Alex Ross and Geoff Johns recent stuff, it seems were in the midst of a bunch of Gen X'ers trying real hard to recreate their 1970's era childhoods. Hey, i'm a Gen X'er myself but I really really don't need people to bring back the Hall of Justice and The Legion Of Doom. As if the Super-Friends represent some high water mark in DC history or something...

I much prefered the final episodes of Season 1 like yourself. They really nailed the DCUand it's characers perfectly in those episodes..

Last edited by whomod; 03-01-08 at 02:47 AM.
Old 02-29-08, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by whomod
I'd get the 2 disc. All the doucmentaries and commentaries on this release were good, including Th Legion Of Doom one. It's not that much more money anyways.

As for the UPC on the Green Lantern figure box, it's 8 8392900766 0
Thanks! This confirms that both the U.S. and Canadian version share the same UPC.
Old 02-29-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
I absolutely loved it. I think it is the most mature DCAU feature yet and I would love to see more old school styled animation like this.

I agree. While I think the plot was the weakest part of the movie, the animation was top notch. Even though it looked like it was from the 50's, the Blu Ray was vividly detailed and a pleasure to watch. Not a bad TrueHD soundtrack, either.

The only issue I had was that this story was similar to the initial episode of the JL cartoon.

Personally, I hope they do more of these movies. I think the true issue here is how much the voice talent costs. I think if they did the original cast, based on the tv show, they could probably do a movie every few years while keeping costs down.