DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Info needed for scratched "Heroes" DVD

Old 10-20-07, 11:42 PM

Info needed for scratched "Heroes" DVD

Apologies if the answers I'm after are already on the forum, but I did a search and came up empty.

We were just watching my brand new "Heroes" DVD set, and disc 5 is so deeply scratched that it won't play without freezing up on any of my players. Again, this is a brand new disc, and this is the first time we've even taken it out of the package.

I'd like to exchange this defective disc if possible. Does anyone know who I can contact in order to look into this? Universal/NBC put out the DVD set.

Thanks so much...
Old 10-21-07, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You should just buy it again.
Old 10-21-07, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would take it back to where I bought it from. That would be a lot easier. They should give you a new set.
Old 10-21-07, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by 7Keys
I would take it back to where I bought it from. That would be a lot easier. They should give you a new set.
I concur....if you say it's defective more than likely they'll give you another one. Walmart is a bitch when it comes to opened electronics but if it's defective they've really got no other choice.
Old 10-21-07, 04:25 PM

Thanks folks - I forgot to mention that I got it as a birthday gift, and therefore have no receipt. I did find out today that it was purchased at Borders, though. Hopefully, they'll let me do a direct exchange w/o the receipt.
Old 10-22-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JiM T
Apologies if the answers I'm after are already on the forum, but I did a search and came up empty.

We were just watching my brand new "Heroes" DVD set, and disc 5 is so deeply scratched that it won't play without freezing up on any of my players. Again, this is a brand new disc, and this is the first time we've even taken it out of the package.

I'd like to exchange this defective disc if possible. Does anyone know who I can contact in order to look into this? Universal/NBC put out the DVD set.

Thanks so much...
I had the same problem. Same disc. I own the HD set though. I pulled it out of the case and put it in the drive. It never had a chance to get scratched. It's a deep one too. I couldn't finish the second episode on that disc.

I bought mine when it came out from Amazon though. I doubt a return is in the cards for me.

I'd love to get a replacement disc. Anyone with info on that?
Old 10-22-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sounds like the work of Sylar
Old 10-22-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Same thing happened to me with my Planet Earth HD-DVD set. All secured, VERY secured. Yet I had deep scratches on one disc and abrasions on all the others. Wal-Mart tried to give me a hard time. Just for an exchange, and I had a receipt, and it was purchased on the same day I was making the exchange. Exchange it, if you get more damaged discs, then contact the manufacturer. A lot of companies will usually send you a new disc to replace the old one... except for Image Entertainment. They dropped their support for that... they're terrible.
Old 10-22-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also had the same issue with that exact disc (disc 5). It didn't seem to be a deep scratch, but it wasn't a light one either. I swapped it out for another disc from Best Buy, where I had bought it, and the new disc 5 also had the same type of scratch, although this one didn't look as serious. The blue shirt refused to open another set for me to get another disc, so I just took the lesser of the two evils/scratches. Still have yet to watch it though.
Old 10-22-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I would still contact the company that manufactures them to have them send you a damage free disc. Can't hurt.
Old 10-22-07, 12:09 PM

My girlfriend also had a problem with disc 5 of the set. I don't know if it was scratched or just defective.
Old 10-22-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Weird. I had the same problem, but there was no scratch at all... at least i didn't see one. I took it back to Target and they gave me a completely new set. The new one played fine.
Old 10-22-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who produced the DVDs? Can you just call / write to them?

A couple years ago I bought Cannibal Holocaust but one of the DVDs was scatched up. I called the company that produced it and they sent me a replacement DVD at no cost. Apparently a lot of people had trouble with that DVD, they had trouble finding somebody to package it since the movie is somewhat controversial, the package they ended up with wasn't good and the DVDs would fall off easily during shipping.
Old 10-22-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been experiencing a whole lot of scratched discs in multi-disc sets: Heroes, Brothers & Sisters, Ugly Betty, Muppet Show: S2. Many of them are not lightly scratched, either. Because it takes time to plow through all of these sets, I exchange them immediately, otherwise you could get screwed once your 30-day return period has expired.
Old 10-23-07, 12:22 AM

Real weird that so many people have had this problem with "Heroes" disc 5. I did exchange my scratched set for a new one at Borders today, which was no problem for them, even without the receipt. Tonight we resumed watching the series where we left off in disc 5, and no problems with this one... so far!
Old 10-23-07, 12:38 AM

There are some terrific scratch repair products that are relatively inexpensive that I have used with excellent results. CD SKIP FIXER comes in a squeeze bottle and you use it like car wax. I bought it BARNES & NOBLE of all places...

Try it and you'll probably save yourself a lot of trouble and frustration....