Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Warner Night At the Movies

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-07, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warner Night At the Movies

This may seem like an odd question, but I'm curious to know if there's a listing of the DVDs which have been released with the "Warner Night At the Movies" extras.

I'm almost certain that I saw Seeing Hands listed as an extra on a DVD as part of the WNAtM setup, but I can't remember which DVD (if any) it's on.

Any and all assistance on this would be appreciated.

May this find you happy and healthy.

Robert Reynolds
Tucson AZ
Old 10-18-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
The DVDs with the Warner Night at the Movies that I know of are The Errol Flynn Signature Collection, Vol. 1 (Captain Blood / The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex / The Sea Hawk / They Died with Their Boots On / Dodge City / The Adventures of Errol Flynn),

The Warner Gangsters Collection (The Public Enemy / White Heat / Angels with Dirty Faces / Little Caesar / The Petrified Forest / The Roaring Twenties),

plus Casablanca, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Dark Passage, The Life of Emile Zola,, The Astaire and Rogers set,

and the second Humphrey Bogart set (The Maltese Falcon Three-Disc Special Edition / Across the Pacific / Action in the North Atlantic / All Through the Night / Passage to Marseille)

Last edited by Gobear; 10-18-07 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-19-07, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Add to that list the "Warner Tough Guys Collection."

My favorite parts of these features are the Studio Breakdown reels. It's hilarious to see actors back in the thirties and forties flubbing their lines and swearing. One I just watched had Bette Davis dancing and some guy clapped when he wasn't supposed to and she threw a tantrum and starting cursing at him. And hearing Humphrey Bogart say "shit"... classic.
Old 10-21-07, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the Errol Flynn set is a bit misleading as none of the movies have a play all feature.
Old 10-31-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Warner Night at the Movies? Why haven't I heard of this?
Old 06-27-13, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Warner Night At the Movies

I was looking for a list, and this seemed to be the only attempt at one here, so... I dug it back up to add:

Warner Bros. and the Homefront

(Also, Tough Guys was re-released as Gangsters vol. 2.)

Are there (m)any others that have been released in the past six or seven years...? Surely...

EDIT: Typed too soon - I found a long list at the HomeTheaterForums that lists three Blu-rays (Casablanca, The Maltese Falcon and The Adventures of Robin Hood), plus titles from The Homefront, these Signature sets: Flynn v. 2 (Dive Bomber not listed), Bogart v. 2 and Cagney; the sub-Signature Flynn Westerns, Bette Davis set 3 and Gangsters 3 and 4 (#1 not on the HTF list, but above; #2 not on the HTF list, but is a duplicate of Tough Guys above), plus the TCM Spotlight Errol Flynn Adventures set (Objective Burma not listed).

Up above, the case is made for and against the Flynn Signature v. 1 set, and added is Astaire/Rogers.

Plus the releases of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Dark Passage and The Life of Emile Zola;DP is on Bogie and Bacall, (so maybe The Big Sleep, To Have and Have Not and Key Largo might also have a WNatM) while TTotSM is in Bogart v. 1 with Casablanca (but Amazon implies there's no WNatM on They Drive by Night and High Sierra).

(N.B. Have Yankee Doodle Dandy or Life of Emile Zola been collected in boxsets..?)

---oo---

Oh, and Amazon has listings for four VHS tapes in a "Night at the Movies" range: PT 109, Auntie Mame, The Wrong Man and The Young Philadelphians. Were there more VHS releases, I wonder? And did the VHS 'Nights' wind up on DVD - YP is in the Paul Newman set (Amazon does not mention WNatM); WM is in Hitchcock and Fonda (but an Amazon review suggests no WNatM feature); PT109 wound up in the Warner Archive Collection, and AM isn't clear to me. So it may well be that the VHS editions did not transfer to DVD.
(A brief eBay adds VHS Nights at the Movies for Battle Cry and Dial M for Murder, plus in either a different series or a homemade set: Shanghai Express, Big Boy, The Last Journey, Sleeping Car to Trieste, Go West, Grand Central Murder, The Lady Vanishes, Oh Mr Porter and North West Frontier.)

Oh, and lastly, the HTF thread mentions "laserdisc box set[s] of MGM short subjects... (Pete Smith, Robert Benchley)"; "[several] short subject laserdisc box set from MGM and Warners" plus "the Kino sets of Paramount shorts," "WAC Pete Smith Specialties" and "James Fitzpatrick's Traveltalks." Can anyone elaborate and clarify titles for these sets, please?

Last edited by ntnon; 06-27-13 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-27-13, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Seeing Hands(1943) is a MGM short. Released as extra on DVD in 2007 by WB. Need to find out which MGM feature released in 1943 it appears on.

Probably a war movie

Last edited by rw2516; 06-27-13 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-27-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

"Battle Cry" was released in this format on VHS, remember my parents renting it, and I watched just the stuff at the beginning but didn't care about the actual movie. The Blu-Ray and HD-DVD of The Adventures of Robin Hood (with Erroll Flynn) have this, but they default to playing just the movie- you have the bring the menu up and select Night at the Movies to have it play the trailers and stuff first and then the movie.
Old 06-29-13, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ntnon
(N.B. Have Yankee Doodle Dandy or Life of Emile Zola been collected in boxsets..?)
Best Picture Oscar Collection includes "The Life Of Emile Zola" DVD.

Warner Legends Collection includes "Yankee Doodle Dandy"