Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Resident Evil: Extinction --> January 2nd, 2008!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Resident Evil: Extinction --> January 2nd, 2008!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-07, 10:32 PM
Dai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Milla = Must buy!!
Old 11-23-07, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dai
Milla = Must buy!!
Same here. I really didn't like this movie at all but i love Milla so i might need to add this to my Milla Collection. Please let this be the last RE movie, PLEASE!
Old 11-25-07, 08:39 PM
Banned

It sucks that there is no Commentary by Milla this time. That was my favorite part of the other disks. All we get is the one Commentary with the Director, Producer, and Producer/Writer.
I could have sworn i saw somewhere that she did a commentary for this with Oded Fehr. This better not be some damn Blu-ray exclusive!!!!!
Old 01-03-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So did anyone buy this release? I went to Best Buy today and they still had a full shelf of them tagged at $19.99. I liked the first film and the trailer for Extinction made it seem fairly entertaining. Since I bought the 2-pack of the first two films yesterday for $9.99 I figured I'd bite on Extinction for $19.99. Seems like an ok deal for all three films for $30 ... I'll leave them unopened for now to see if buyer's remorse sets in ...
Old 01-03-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
If they charged you $19.99 then they jipped you out of a few bucks, it is on sale this week. And yes, I picked it up on Tuesday (w/ the free tote bag from BB). I enjoyed this one quite a bit.
Old 01-03-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier
If they charged you $19.99 then they jipped you out of a few bucks, it is on sale this week. And yes, I picked it up on Tuesday (w/ the free tote bag from BB). I enjoyed this one quite a bit.
They jipped me because I'm in Canada
Old 01-03-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Yavin
They jipped me because I'm in Canada
Oh sorry, I didn't think they had Best Buys in Canada.
Old 01-03-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Oh sorry, I didn't think they had Best Buys in Canada.
Best Buy, Wal*Mart, Lowes ... your US chains have invaded our territories ... the only one that tried and failed was Krispy Kreme (due to its inability to compete with the mighty Tim Hortons) ...

Anyway, back to the topic. It is very odd Sony didn't release a DVD trilogy boxset with all three films (like they did on Blu-Ray). I would have liked a comparatively inexpensive way of getting all 3 films on DVD in such a way that the first two were on separate discs (instead of having them both on one disc as they are in the 'Resurrected' 2-pack).
Old 01-04-08, 02:31 AM

gamestops that sell dvds have it with a bonus disc but its 24.99
Old 01-04-08, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Yavin
Anyway, back to the topic. It is very odd Sony didn't release a DVD trilogy boxset with all three films (like they did on Blu-Ray). I would have liked a comparatively inexpensive way of getting all 3 films on DVD in such a way that the first two were on separate discs (instead of having them both on one disc as they are in the 'Resurrected' 2-pack).
I was also surprised by this. Maybe they just assumed it was too early for another re-packaging (with the Resurrected pack just coming out a few months ago)?

There was a previous "bundle" of the first and 2nd movies:

But I havent seen it for sale for about a year now.

Like you said, I was also disappointed by having both films on a single disc with the Resurrected pack (but it still didn't stop me from buying it - a quadruple dip for me. The blu ray makes it a quintuple (?) dip )
Old 01-04-08, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SPIDERone
Like you said, I was also disappointed by having both films on a single disc with the Resurrected pack (but it still didn't stop me from buying it - a quadruple dip for me. The blu ray makes it a quintuple (?) dip )
Not to divert the thread or anything, but have you compared how any of the films look on upconverted SD-DVD versus how the Blu-Rays look? I've only watched one upconverted SD-DVD so far (that was not RE) and I was disappointed by the results. I was hoping that watching the RE films on upconverted SD-DVD would fare better than that experience. Of course, I'm not expecting Blu-Ray quality, but something "near HD-quality" would be nice.

Last edited by Yavin; 01-04-08 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-04-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Resident Evil DVD's look pretty damn good upconverted, though the Blu-Rays easily outshine them. I have all of them on both DVD and Blu-Ray (well, Resident Evil 3 is on Blu-Ray only for me since that just came out).
Old 01-04-08, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by matome
The Resident Evil DVD's look pretty damn good upconverted, though the Blu-Rays easily outshine them. I have all of them on both DVD and Blu-Ray (well, Resident Evil 3 is on Blu-Ray only for me since that just came out).
That's good news. I guess as long as I haven't seen them in true HD then I shouldn't be disappointed in the upconverted SD-DVDs. It's definitely true that once you see a film in proper HD you can never go back to SD ...
Old 01-04-08, 11:30 AM

I wasn't terribly impressed with the 2nd film on Blu Ray (it was almost exactly a year ago that it was released, and I think that was right when Sony was making their transition from 25 GB MPEG 2 transfer to 50GB AVC transfers). Not bad by any means, but I think it wouldve been a lot nicer looking if done using their current methods (on the bright side, it's often found for $10 during the Buy One Get One sales or at Frys). RE3 looks fantastic on Blu Ray and RE1 should be arriving today. From what I've seen of each film (through the actual discs of the HD trailers) I'm not upset in the least bit that I.. quintuple dipped

I've personally been pleased with upconverted SD (in most cases) but really it isnt a comparison to HD with the exception of some of the very early titles which had poor compression, transfers and low image quality.
Old 01-04-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The blu ray box set looks awful. The slipcase itself, not the video. It's so boring and ugly
Old 01-04-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kaze0
The blu ray box set looks awful. The slipcase itself, not the video. It's so boring and ugly
I took a close look at the box set slipcover today. The image of Milla from the second film makes it look like she just had some sort of dental procedure and the swelling hadn't gone down yet.
Old 01-04-08, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by JAYARE
gamestops that sell dvds have it with a bonus disc but its 24.99
it's available online as well:
http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?...%5Fid=B050390A
Old 01-06-08, 09:02 PM

Yavin was the 2 pack you picked up the new one??
If so what is this bridge episode thats between 2 & 3??
they talk about it is the extras of 3.. I doinf really want to buy another version but if its good??
Old 01-07-08, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ds6161
they talk about it is the extras of 3.. I doinf really want to buy another version but if its good??
Yes, it was the new one, but I haven't opened it yet. Not until I really figure out what my buying strategy is going to be with the big HD-DVD news recently. I would really like to see the RE movies in HD eventually, but I don't want to double-dip a year or so down the line on the Blu-Ray.
Old 01-07-08, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by ds6161
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8nfgeMaNxg