Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Odd thing in Vault of Horror.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-07, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd thing in Vault of Horror.

I just got the Tales from the Crypt/Vault of Horror pack and something very odd happens in the first "tale" of Vault of Horror.

I cannot tell if this is intentional, or if it has been edited, but during the conclusion of how the first guy died, it cuts to a still image of this
Spoiler:
. It looks like censored something. Also, the music skips around as if it's been messed with.

Is this how it is supposed to be?
Old 10-02-07, 07:13 PM

Yes, it is the edited version of Vault.

From DVD Drive-In :

"The bad news here is on VAULT OF HORROR. Though it comes pretty close to TALES in terms of video and audio quality, the presentation is cut, representing the PG version of the film. At the 16:50 point (during “Midnight Mess”) a scene where a tap plunged into Daniel Massey’s neck to extract blood, is replaced with an awkward still frame which optically blacks out the tap held by the bald actor with vampire fangs! At 31:07 (during “The Neat Job”) a hammer shot to the head is trimmed, and also during the same segment at around the 31:43 mark, extra shots of body parts packed in jars – notably a jar that’s labeled “odd and ends”, are missing. Granted, these missing shots only amount to seconds, but they are still crucial to the payoff of the first two stories. Additionally, at around 1:14:46 when a pair of hands are lopped off during the “Bargain in Death” segment, more brief gory footage is missing. The rest of the film looks to be intact. A British disc of VAULT was released years ago by a company called Vipco, and although it’s full frame and of inferior quality, it’s fully uncut. Back to the specs here, an additional Spanish mono track is included, as are optional English, Spanish and French subtitles."
Old 10-02-07, 07:22 PM

Aw man that stinks, I'm watching it right now and noticed the hammer hit and a few other things, it was edited very poorly.
Old 10-02-07, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
That ruins the whole joke! No Sale.
Old 10-03-07, 06:51 AM

That sucks. I was going to pick this up, glad I didn't.
Old 10-03-07, 08:37 AM

That odd black obstruction is horrible. Was that on the print or added digitally for the DVD?
Old 10-03-07, 10:31 AM

I can say that personally, having TFTC uncut in a solid new dvd transfer alone warrants the purchase of this set, despite the inclusion of the PG VOH cut.
Old 10-03-07, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Alkaline
I can say that personally, having TFTC uncut in a solid new dvd transfer alone warrants the purchase of this set, despite the inclusion of the PG VOH cut.
Very true. You can get this 2-disc set for under $10. TFTC alone is worth that. VOH has never been available 'uncut' on video or tv in the US so this edited dvd version is no surprise whatsoever.
Old 10-03-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I'll be keeping my cheap R2 Vipco DVD a while longer yet....though I did buy the double feature.
Old 10-03-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Alkaline
Totally agree. I look at the PG "Vault" as a bonus. (Granted, a disappointing one, but still nice to have than not.) I had given up hope in ever seeing "Tales" on DVD so I'm delighted to finally have it.
Old 11-01-07, 09:28 PM

If anyone's interested I just bought a cheap-o $1 version of Vault of Horror from the $1 Shop and while it still has the still image in it but doesn't have the "black blob" on it. It's a kinda crappy Full Screen version too but i thought some might be interested, it comes in a double feature with Frightmare
Old 11-01-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
I watched this on the Fox Movie Channel over the weekend. Same exact problems.
Old 11-01-07, 11:16 PM
Banned

What's really ridiculous is that this film was promoted with lobby cards and one of those cards is this exact image uncut!

Spoiler:
Old 11-02-07, 12:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone watch the b&w trailor on VOH? It contains some of the deleted footage from the vampire restaurant scene.