https://www.timelife.com/webapp/wcs/...Q2lvO3v7Zrw56g
Old 09-28-07, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full press release

More on the subject
Old 09-28-07, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember one episode with a very young Kurt Russell. He must have been around 13 or 14 at the time

I loved this show but it's pretty pricey
Old 09-28-07, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a sweet looking set, and it's great they are putting out a full series all at once (as opposed to studios that put out one season and drop the show.) However, I never seen this show on TV and it's too much of a gamble for a straight blind buy.
Old 09-28-07, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by shanester
I loved this show but it's pretty pricey
41 discs for $249 = $6 per disc.
Old 09-28-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by David Lambert
41 discs for $249 = $6 per disc.
The price per disc and per episode is awesome. It's putting that much up at once, especially for those of us who have never seen this show. Does it get syndicated at all anymore?
Old 09-28-07, 10:57 PM

I for one wish they released seasons separately so I could afford them. I don't care if it works out to $2 a disc, I don't have $250 to spend on a box set. But for those who can, it's a great deal!!
Old 09-29-07, 06:11 AM

Don't forget that Time Life offers an installment plan. You can sign up to pay in 5 installments of $49.95 each.

I've added info about this to my follow-up story, since several people have expresed concern.
Old 09-29-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This blows. They do not ship to Canada.
Old 09-29-07, 11:51 AM

There is a three-disc set for sale that has all the theatrical movies that's on E-Bay, from Australia, for about $27. I'm just wondering if it would be worth buying, if the movies aren't on this Time-Life set. Then, I could figure out if I would ever want the T/L set, if the movies are any good. I'd be a little wary, too, about paying $249 for the set in one shot. It was shown in syndication where I live some years ago, and I enjoyed watching it when it was on. I don't think it's in syndication any longer. TBS/TNT used to show it sometimes, but haven't in a long time. I know I like it, but I'd have to watch it again to figure out how much. It's a fun, escapist series, and I love the look of old color TV shows, with the bright lighting and saturated colors. Vaughn and McCallum were great, and the scripts were interesting, if sometimes dumb fun.

I'd want to know how well they did on the transfer before I'd commit. It will be coming out one season at a time next year, at regular retail. If they release it a half-season at a time, as they did with the series "Streets of San Francisco," it might wind up being more expensive than buying it as this set. However, sometimes Time-Life releases become less valuable once the individual seasons are released through other outlets. Maybe the extras and the case might make it worth more, but maybe not.
Old 09-29-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by howwon
This blows. They do not ship to Canada.

You maybe able to order of the Canadian Timelife site eventually.....but right now it's down "under construction"

I can't see them not shipping to canadian consumers since they are R1 dvd's
Old 09-29-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I'll wait for the library to get them.
Old 09-29-07, 07:11 PM

From reading the comments on IMDb, Season 3 of the show was pretty bad. I recall seeing some really ridiculous episodes in syndicated reruns, but I had no idea what season they were from. It's a campy show to begin with, but they really pushed it at times. Season 1 is in black and white, and while the shows were good, they were better when they went to color. So, for me, that's two seasons I'm not sure I'd want to own right there. It does seem like something to Netflix until and unless you decide you really like the show. Then you can decide if you want to buy the show in seasons (and which ones) or pick up the deluxe set, which probably won't cost that much more than if you bought it now. Though the free shipping deal they have on currently would be the best way to go if you have to have it. Plus, no sales tax, unless you live in certain states.
Old 09-29-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can we be certain that these are the complete, unedited episodes, and not the syndicated versions?
Old 10-10-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Breton
There is a three-disc set for sale that has all the theatrical movies that's on E-Bay, from Australia, for about $27. I'm just wondering if it would be worth buying, if the movies aren't on this Time-Life set. Then, I could figure out if I would ever want the T/L set, if the movies are any good. I'd be a little wary, too, about paying $249 for the set in one shot. It was shown in syndication where I live some years ago, and I enjoyed watching it when it was on. I don't think it's in syndication any longer. TBS/TNT used to show it sometimes, but haven't in a long time. I know I like it, but I'd have to watch it again to figure out how much. It's a fun, escapist series, and I love the look of old color TV shows, with the bright lighting and saturated colors. Vaughn and McCallum were great, and the scripts were interesting, if sometimes dumb fun.

I'd want to know how well they did on the transfer before I'd commit. It will be coming out one season at a time next year, at regular retail. If they release it a half-season at a time, as they did with the series "Streets of San Francisco," it might wind up being more expensive than buying it as this set. However, sometimes Time-Life releases become less valuable once the individual seasons are released through other outlets. Maybe the extras and the case might make it worth more, but maybe not.
Turner Classic Movies is airing a marathon of all the theatrical movie versions in Nov.
Old 10-10-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I remember watching this show and always thought it was so cool. Those 9mm with silencers. But so much of what I thought was cool I get and it looks pretty lame. I may wait and see if blockbuster gets them
Old 10-11-07, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I remember watching this show and always thought it was so cool. Those 9mm with silencers. But so much of what I thought was cool I get and it looks pretty lame. I may wait and see if blockbuster gets them
I always loved the communicators that looked like pens, and the entrance to headquarters through the tailor shop/drycleaners.

I once belonged to Blockbuster by mail, and they tended to not always have TV series available, or there was a very long wait. I'm not sure if Netflix is any better or not.
Old 10-16-07, 09:20 AM

I hate to dig this thread up with what may be a stupid question, but...

Has anyone noticed that the set is advertised as 41 DVDs, but when you add them up (S1 = 11 discs, S2 = 11 discs, S3 = 11 discs, S4 = 6 discs) you only get 39 discs?

Maybe I missed something in the advertising. Thanks in advance for any help in clearing this up.
Old 10-16-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I think there is 2 disc of bonus material...but I could be wrong
Old 11-07-07, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

TCM had their seven movie marathon yesterday. I have the R2 set of five of the movies. I recorded and burned the two not included. The movies were drop dead gorgeous. Never looked better. Better quality than the R2 discs. Wish I had recorded them all. If the series dvds are anywhere near this quality it be one of the best looking 60s tv series on dvd.
Old 11-07-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are eight "movies" and TCM ran them all yesterday. Did you miss one?

This of course, does not include the 1983 reunion TV movie.

I have the same R2 set, so I got nice DVD+Rs of the other three. They looked a lot better than the old TNT VHS tapes I recorded years ago.

I can't wait for the Time Life set!
Old 11-07-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
There are eight "movies" and TCM ran them all yesterday. Did you miss one?

This of course, does not include the 1983 reunion TV movie.

I have the same R2 set, so I got nice DVD+Rs of the other three. They looked a lot better than the old TNT VHS tapes I recorded years ago.

I can't wait for the Time Life set!
Yep. Missed the first one TO TRAP A SPY. I'm so use to seeing this show with the faded out color and edits the dvds are really going to be a treat. I had the 22 tapes(44 eps) from MGM/UA and another 46 taped off TNT. When the Anchor Bay release fell through and the guy who does the HTF chats said the show wasn't planned for release by WB, I went ahead and transferred all the tapes to DVDR and watched them all just before the Time-Life announcement. I'll prpbably just watch the 15 I've never seen when I first get the set. Especially looking forward to the Christmas one, The Jingle Bells Affair.

Last edited by rw2516; 11-07-07 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-07-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You'll have to track down TO TRAP A SPY, as it is probably the best feature.

The TV version ("The Vulcan Affair") is in black and white, while the feature runs 90 mins so there is a lot of additional footage. It's even got more footage than the color version of the pilot, SOLO, which runs about 66 mins. That version is in the Time Life set as an extra.

I think there is even another variant version, but I'm not sure.

For those who are confused, while the first season of the show was in black and white, the pilot and another episode were shot in color (along with additional footage) with an eye towards overseas theatrical release. TO TRAP A SPY and THE SPY WITH MY FACE contain signficant amounts of additional footage, while the other movies have just a few added bits as they were taken from 2 part episodes.
Old 11-07-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The TV version ("The Vulcan Affair") is in black and white, while the feature runs 90 mins so there is a lot of additional footage. It's even got more footage than the color version of the pilot, SOLO, which runs about 66 mins. That version is in the Time Life set as an extra.

I think there is even another variant version, but I'm not sure.

For those who are confused, while the first season of the show was in black and white, the pilot and another episode ("The Double Affair") were shot in color (along with additional footage) with an eye towards overseas theatrical release. The TV versions were still shown in black and white however. TO TRAP A SPY and THE SPY WITH MY FACE contain significant amounts of additional footage, while the other movies have just a few added bits as they were taken from 2 part episodes.
Old 11-07-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
Well, I check the TCM schedule two months ahead and write down what I want to record. Double checked the extra features on the dvd set just now and TO TRAP A SPY is on the set as a special feature. Must be why I didn't put it on my record schedule.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.