Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Friday the 13th Series, this ever release?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-07, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dawned on me other day I remember news of a Friday the 13th: The Series on dvd ages ago. This ever come to fruitation yet?
Old 09-17-07, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Nope. It's in "no-release-hell" along with Freddy's Nightmares, Tales From The Darkside and countless other shows of this nature.

I've seen them at horror conventions, but I know they are not legit releases.
Old 09-17-07, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wish. I wish. I wish. I got the episodes off of Chiller, but I would love a proper release.
Old 09-17-07, 03:55 PM

I have a lot of these from the web, but I can't seem to get the last season. The quality it's that great, I believe they're the ones off Chiller
Old 09-17-07, 05:13 PM

I love this show, mostly cause in the first episode they sell all these evil antiques by mistake and the rest of the series, they need to get them back, LOL
Old 09-17-07, 05:33 PM
Dai

I loved this show for Mickey / Louise Robey!!! Mmmm...redheads!!

Whatever happened to her anyways??
Old 09-17-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember hating this show because Jason was never in it...
Old 09-17-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
Me too. But I have a feeling that I would actually like the show now that I have been exposed to more types of genre movies and shows.

I'm also a bigger fan of horror anthology shows than I was back then.
Old 09-17-07, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly

And I loved it because it DIDN'T have Jason in it.

"Friday the 13th: The Series" was a great show saddled with a terrible name. It is a classic and a throw-back to the Night Stalker and the other supernatural shows of the '70s.
Old 09-18-07, 07:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sracer

And I loved it because it DIDN'T have Jason in it.

"Friday the 13th: The Series" was a great show saddled with a terrible name. It is a classic and a throw-back to the Night Stalker and the other supernatural shows of the '70s.
Darren McGavin is probably spinning in his grave after reading your post. Kolchak: The Night Stalker was actually entertaining compared to the mess of a series known as, Friday the 13th: The Series.

I stuck around with the show for awhile but it got pretty dull in my opinion. I know some people love this show & if you do, great, but I thought it was just plain out dull. Maybe it’s more due towards the fact that I was excited about seeing Jason Voorhees on a regular basis & I was just disappointed & didn’t really want too like the show, I don’t know.

For fans of the series, I know that the Scream (Digital Cable/Satellite ch.) ‘Specialty’ channel up here in Canada airs, Friday the 13th: The Series, still & an episode is on from 8am-9am today. It’s the ‘Brain Drain’ episode this morning. It says it airs everyday from 8 ti’ll 9 am.
Old 09-18-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Originally Posted by Dai
I loved this show for Mickey / Louise Robey!!! Mmmm...redheads!!

Whatever happened to her anyways??
Louise Robey is now a recording artist.

www.myspace.com/louiserobey
Old 09-18-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
Darren McGavin is probably spinning in his grave after reading your post. Kolchak: The Night Stalker was actually entertaining compared to the mess of a series known as, Friday the 13th: The Series.

I stuck around with the show for awhile but it got pretty dull in my opinion. I know some people love this show & if you do, great, but I thought it was just plain out dull. Maybe it’s more due towards the fact that I was excited about seeing Jason Voorhees on a regular basis & I was just disappointed & didn’t really want too like the show, I don’t know.
The fact that you were excited about seeing Jason Voorhees on a regular basis is a pretty clear indication that FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE SERIES wasn't intended for you. That is why the show had the worst possible name. If it were named "ANTIQUE ROADSHOW OF THE DAMNED", it would've attracted the proper audience.
Old 09-18-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The fact that you were excited about seeing Jason Voorhees on a regular basis is a pretty clear indication that FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE SERIES wasn't intended for you. That is why the show had the worst possible name. If it were named "ANTIQUE ROADSHOW OF THE DAMNED", it would've attracted the proper audience.
I think they wanted a name that people recognized and it backfired on them. Fans of the F13 movie series were turned off because of the omission of Jason and people who would normally watch a show called "ANTIQUE ROADSHOW OF THE DAMNED" weren't interested in seeing a guy in a hockey mask killing young virgins every week. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

With that said, I wish my cable provided offered Scream TV or something similar so I could give the show a second chance. I think I would like it now.
Old 09-18-07, 11:09 AM

The show actually did quite well in syndication at the time so it did find its audience even with the possibly 'misleading' title. Personally, I don't understand why anyone would ever think that they'd see Jason Voorhees slashing up people on a weekly basis on a TV show - and then be disappointed when it's actually something a lot more clever and interesting. All I had to say at the time was "thank God this isn't like the movie series". I thought the first two seasons were pretty good with a couple of really excellent episodes (including one directed by David Cronenberg). By the third season, the premise was really starting to wear thin and the change in cast also hurt it. Overall, a good show that deserves a release.

By the way, the show was titled "FRIDAY'S CURSE" in many countries.
Old 09-18-07, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now if there was a show called, Antique Roadshow of the Damned, I’d be tuning in every week. A ‘fictional’ look at the objects on Antique Roadshow that just so happens that some of the antique’s are DAMNED &…

Spoiler:
The antique’s aren’t worth a penny!

Talk about *Emmy* winning material.
Old 09-18-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by man*machine
The show actually did quite well in syndication at the time so it did find its audience even with the possibly 'misleading' title. Personally, I don't understand why anyone would ever think that they'd see Jason Voorhees slashing up people on a weekly basis on a TV show - and then be disappointed when it's actually something a lot more clever and interesting.
By the way, the show was titled "FRIDAY'S CURSE" in many countries.
Then don't call it something that is about Jason Voorhees and have the same font (and same music composer), and is created by one of the producers of the movies. It's not like there was only one F13 movie released at the time. 6 were laready released with a 7th one in producer. Why wouldn't one think it might involve Jason? This was way before the internet where you could easily find out such things. "FRIDAY'S CURSE" as a title would have worked better.

They was also "Freddy's Nightmares" and Freddy was in those. Granted, every episode was not about him, but he was at least in the episodes.
Old 09-18-07, 05:39 PM

The show did very well but was under constant protest from religious groups (who didn't know the show from the movie, or their ass from their elbow- considering the show was about fighting evil) and the producers eventually caved to the pressure.

Louise had a club hit a few years before the show: http://youtube.com/watch?v=xqiVxB315Cw
Old 09-18-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
I enjoyed the show with the original cast members , after they started replacing the cast I kind of gave up on the show. I still remember one episode about a quilt in the Amish country. I'd love to see that again.