Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Killer: SE (Dragon Dynasty) --> 11/6!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-07, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From DavisDVD.com:

Dragon Dynasty and Genius Entertainment will release John Woo's classic The Killer on November 6th. This new two-disc set will feature a remastered anamorphic widescreen transfer with Cantonese and English Dolby Digital Surround tracks (along with optional English subtitles). Extras will include an audio commentary with Terence Chang and John Woo, a collection of deleted scenes, retrospective featurettes and trailers. Stay tuned for finalized details soon. Retail is $24.99.
I was getting nervous this wouldn't get announced, but here it comes. Say what you will about DD's faults (I still have to pick up Hard Boiled anyway), but think about it: SE's of The Killer, Hard Boiled, and Face/Off in the same year, all 2 discs no less!

Now for DD to make SE's of A Better Tomorrow I and II...
Old 09-17-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
I was getting nervous this wouldn't get announced, but here it comes. Say what you will about DD's faults (I still have to pick up Hard Boiled anyway), but think about it: SE's of The Killer, Hard Boiled, and Face/Off in the same year, all 2 discs no less!
Old 09-17-07, 10:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
now if only Universal will release the UNRATED version of Hard Target I'd be a very happy camper.
Old 09-17-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is certainly welcome news, but since I already have the Criterion and funds are limited for double dips these days, I'll await reviews first.
Old 09-17-07, 11:23 AM

Hopefully the dubtitles that marred the Hard Boiled release won't be making a reappearance
Old 09-17-07, 02:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
anyone want my Criterion?
Old 09-17-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want your Criterion!! And anyone else that wants to get rid of it let me know!
Old 09-17-07, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I want your Criterion!! And anyone else that wants to get rid of it let me know!
I've got a Hard Boiled that I could get rid of..
Old 09-17-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Already got Hard Boiled
Old 09-17-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Anyone want a Fox Lorber edition?!
Old 09-17-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Forrester
Hopefully the dubtitles that marred the Hard Boiled release won't be making a reappearance

The Criterion and Fox Lorber versions have the same dubtitles as the DD version, so do not expect the same for DD's version of The Killer.
Old 09-17-07, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
The Criterion and Fox Lorber versions have the same dubtitles as the DD version, so do not expect the same for DD's version of The Killer.
So previous versions of the Killer haven't featured dubtitles? Good to know since as you mentioned above, it seems DD is recycling whatever sub/dubtitles they can get their hands on for these films.
Old 09-17-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hell yes, I'm looking forward to purchasing this one.
Old 09-18-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Now I can ditch the Lorber edition my buddy gave me. See, sometimes it pays to not spend $90 on an OOP Criterion. Not that I haven't been guilty of that myself...
Old 09-18-07, 12:11 PM

The first John Woo movie I ever saw and my favorite! Great news!
Old 09-18-07, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that is awesome news...

now by 'dubtitles' you are referring to?... what was the problem/problems with the subtitles on the CC and fox 'Hard Boiled' and 'The Killer'?...

those Criterion releases have been selling, not just listed at, but selling at $500 and up, for new in wrapper, and several hundreds for used, a copy on Ebay and Amazon... i'm not sure i wouldn't consider posting and making some money off a CC release you didn't want...

this is great news... Woo's remake of 'Le Samourai'...

i missed the CC versions and have kicked myself since...
Old 09-18-07, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
now by 'dubtitles' you are referring to?... what was the problem/problems with the subtitles on the CC and fox 'Hard Boiled' and 'The Killer'?...
Dubtitles employ the use of video with English dialogue recorded over the film's original audio, rather than a translation of the film's original dialogue without localization. If you have ever seen an Asian film broadcast on Spike TV, you'll understand why dubtitles are unforgivable to any true foreign film fan: not only is the English dialogue inaccurate, but the subtleties and nuances of the actors' voices are lost in translation. My school of thought is: if you think reading subtitles are a hassle, don't even bother watching the film. To me, nothing is more annoying and infuriating than watching a film whose dialogue has been butchered by poor English dubs.
Old 09-18-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PrivatePixel
Dubtitles employ the use of video with English dialogue recorded over the film's original audio, rather than a translation of the film's original dialogue without localization. If you have ever seen an Asian film broadcast on Spike TV, you'll understand why dubtitles are unforgivable to any true foreign film fan: not only is the English dialogue inaccurate, but the subtleties and nuances of the actors' voices are lost in translation. My school of thought is: if you think reading subtitles are a hassle, don't even bother watching the film. To me, nothing is more annoying and infuriating than watching a film whose dialogue has been butchered by poor English dubs.
holy crap!!!

you mean there was no cantonese language with english subtitles?... only a dubbed or cantonese film?...

and Criterion did this?...
Old 09-18-07, 02:40 PM

holy crap!!!

you mean there was no cantonese language with english subtitles?... only a dubbed or cantonese film?...

and Criterion did this?...
I don't know about Criterion's version (as I don't own this), but there are no English subtitles with the Cantonese track on the DD release.

There is a comprehensive DVD review and comparison of the various Hard Boiled releases, which includes the DD version, at Asian DVD Guide (link).
Old 09-18-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought "dubtitles" referred to subtitles that were based on the dubbed version of the dialogue instead of the original version of the dialogue. In other words, there are subtitles, but they don't really capture the spirit of the script in its original language.

Edit: Wikipedia agrees with me, for whatever that's worth.
Old 09-18-07, 03:07 PM
Cool New Member

UncleGramps' definition of "dubtitles" is right on the mark.
Old 09-22-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
I thought "dubtitles" referred to subtitles that were based on the dubbed version of the dialogue instead of the original version of the dialogue. In other words, there are subtitles, but they don't really capture the spirit of the script in its original language.

Edit: Wikipedia agrees with me, for whatever that's worth.
thanks for clearing that up UG...

i wasn't familiar with the term...

can someone who owns the CC releases confirm/deny Criterion did this also?... they so often list improved subtitles as a point on their releases...
Old 09-22-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is it realistic to assume that the Audio will be finally good on this new THE KILLER DVD, being better than all the poor audio jobs on previous DVDs (including non-Region 1 DVDs)?
Old 09-22-07, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for clearing that up UG...

i wasn't familiar with the term...

can someone who owns the CC releases confirm/deny Criterion did this also?... they so often list improved subtitles as a point on their releases...

I know the Hard Boiled Criterion has the same exact "dubtitles" as the DD version, can't say for sure about The Killer.

Personally, I think people make too much of a big deal about "dubtitles". They're fine and do the job.
Old 09-22-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
i currently have the hong kong legends (R2) release of the Killer. i will probably wait for reviews to see if the Dragon Dynasty will be any kind of upgrade. after reviews for the DD release of Hard Boiled, i decided to stick with my R2 Tartan edition (+ my Criterion for the extras).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.