Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Kubrick Set - New Vs. Old

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 05:24 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kubrick Set - New Vs. Old

I'm aware that a new release is coming out, but I wanted to know will the new widescreen versions be cropped? Considering he filmed several of the films in fullscreen. I have the old release and I'm contemplating selling it in exchange for the new release. I think if I understand correctly that Kubrick filmed the movies in fullscreen format and cropped off the bottoms and tops for theatrical release. So really it's the widescreen formats that I'm getting the cropped versions not the fullscreen as most people think. I just wanted to know if I'm right, and if I should keep my original fullscreen set?

Here's a picture of the Eyes Wide Shut old release back cover which reads "This feature is presented in the full aspect ratio of the original camera negative, as Stanley Kubrick intended."

Here's a picture of the new release back cover which reads "Presented in a "matted" widescreen format preserving the aspect ratio of it's original theatrical exhibition, enhanced for widescreen tvs."

So should I keep my original set? I don't want cropped versions of his films.

Last edited by CheapChildren; 09-12-07 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-12-07, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
will the new set have the uncut version of eyes wide shut? It really sucked that they only had the censored version released over here in the us.
Old 09-12-07, 05:33 PM
Cool New Member

Yeah both Rated and Unrated versions of EWS will be included in the set.
Old 09-12-07, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you do a search, you'll find more than you'll ever want to read about Kubrick and aspect ratio. There's literally dozens of threads with hundreds of posts. Have fun.

However, your specific issue is simple:
Originally Posted by CheapChildren
So should I keep my original set? I don't want cropped versions of his films.
If you want fullscreen versions of these movies... yes, you should keep your original set. The new set will be in the ratio shown theatrically.
Old 09-12-07, 05:58 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by bboisvert
If you do a search, you'll find more than you'll ever want to read about Kubrick and aspect ratio. There's literally dozens of threads with hundreds of posts. Have fun.

However, your specific issue is simple:

If you want fullscreen versions of these movies... yes, you should keep your original set. The new set will be in the ratio shown theatrically.
So the new versions will be cropped?
Old 09-12-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've read a whole lot on the debate and in my opinion these are the definitive versions. The consesus is that they were formatted full screen for television distribution.
Old 09-12-07, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So the new versions will be cropped?
Correct.
Old 09-12-07, 06:16 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I've read a whole lot on the debate and in my opinion these are the definitive versions. The consesus is that they were formatted full screen for television distribution.
Which versions? Old or new?
Old 09-12-07, 06:45 PM

http://www.dvdtalk.com/leonvitaliinterview.html
Old 09-12-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kubrick filmed all of his movies starting with The Killing for at least 1.66:1. His last three films were shot for 1.85:1.

When approving masters in 1991 for Warner Home Video (as well as MGM/UA Home Video since they were distributed by WHV at the time), he opted for his films to be left unmatted. He never had the chance to sign off on newer masters. For Eyes Wide Shut, WB initially opted to go with unmatted since he wanted that for the 1991 masters.

So, for this DVD, we're seeing Eyes Wide Shut correctly matted to 1.85:1 as it was filmed and presented in theaters. Kubrick never filmed for 4x3 on these films, but rather was fine with keeping off mattes for the masters he approved. Seeing any of his films after Killer's Kiss in widescreen is exactly how Kubrick intended.

Since someone is going to bring up a single Vitali interview, he's mistaking 16x9 enhancement with anamorphic photography. Two different things.
Old 09-12-07, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^^ Good explanation. The widescreen movies aren't cropped because then you can say any movie filmed open matte and then formated for widescreen would be considered "cropped"
Old 09-12-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
Since someone is going to bring up a single Vitali interview, he's mistaking 16x9 enhancement with anamorphic photography. Two different things.
And, since someone will bring this up as well... The Stanley Kubrick Archives book that came out 2 years ago:
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Kubric...2373421&sr=8-2

Has the following storyboard for The Shining on page 452:

Which include "Kubrick's instructions for the crew". Those instructions clearly show that he composed for 1.85:1, but protected for 1.33:1.

The discs are coming out with the proper theatrical framing. That's good news to me. Others may prefer to hang onto their 1.33:1 versions. Po-tay-to, po-ta-to.
Old 09-12-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ now if only you could just post the remaining 543 pages
Old 09-13-07, 12:39 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by PatrickMcCart
Kubrick filmed all of his movies starting with The Killing for at least 1.66:1. His last three films were shot for 1.85:1.

When approving masters in 1991 for Warner Home Video (as well as MGM/UA Home Video since they were distributed by WHV at the time), he opted for his films to be left unmatted. He never had the chance to sign off on newer masters. For Eyes Wide Shut, WB initially opted to go with unmatted since he wanted that for the 1991 masters.

So, for this DVD, we're seeing Eyes Wide Shut correctly matted to 1.85:1 as it was filmed and presented in theaters. Kubrick never filmed for 4x3 on these films, but rather was fine with keeping off mattes for the masters he approved. Seeing any of his films after Killer's Kiss in widescreen is exactly how Kubrick intended.

Your tech talk is confusing to me. I'm not really knowledgeable about ratios. I apologize for my lack of technical savvy. I've taken a grab from the current DVD and made a diagram mainly to make my it simpler for myself to understand. So who can clarify for me 100% (I'm sure it's already been said) what the new release will be. Either 1. or 2.?

I want multiple opinions on this guys.

Last edited by CheapChildren; 09-13-07 at 01:05 AM.
Old 09-13-07, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Your just misunderstanding how it all works, and I'm going to be crap at explaining it. Many movies (maybe most) are filmed with a 1.33 negative, with the intention of them being seen at a different aspect ratio (the cropping you are talking about). Calling them cropped isn't really accurate, it's the way the director intended them to be shown.

Now Kubrick screws this all up a bit because he apparently didn't like how they looked on TV with the black bars. So when he filmed some movies, he protected for full screen. He still intended the movies to be seen theatrically in 1.66 or 1.85 depending on the movie, but since he didn't like how the black bars looked on the TV, he made sure nothing that didn't belong would show up in the 1.33 AR either. If people back then had the equipment they do now (widescreen televisions and all that) he probably wouldn't have bothered.

To me, the real version of the movie is the theatrical, which wasn't full frame, so I'm looking forward to these. Yes, it's closer to number 2, but that is, in my mind, how the director optimally intended the movie to be seen.
Old 09-13-07, 01:00 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Ginwen
Your just misunderstanding how it all works, and I'm going to be crap at explaining it. Many movies (maybe most) are filmed with a 1.33 negative, with the intention of them being seen at a different aspect ratio (the cropping you are talking about). Calling them cropped isn't really accurate, it's the way the director intended them to be shown.

Now Kubrick screws this all up a bit because he apparently didn't like how they looked on TV with the black bars. So when he filmed some movies, he protected for full screen. He still intended the movies to be seen theatrically in 1.66 or 1.85 depending on the movie, but since he didn't like how the black bars looked on the TV, he made sure nothing that didn't belong would show up in the 1.33 AR either. If people back then had the equipment they do now (widescreen televisions and all that) he probably wouldn't have bothered.

To me, the real version of the movie is the theatrical, which wasn't full frame, so I'm looking forward to these. Yes, it's closer to number 2, but that is, in my mind, how the director optimally intended the movie to be seen.
I'm going to get the new versions but I don't want to get rid of my old copies if they show more of the actual picture. Which so far is what I'm understanding.
Old 09-13-07, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1.85:1 framing isn't centered, but rather shifted up a bit generally. From how the 35mm print of EWS I saw, the DVD crops the sides a little. I think a lot of people will be pleased with the 1.85:1 matting since it works a lot better than open matte. The shots of Tom Cruise walking on the sidewalk are more tense because he's tighter in the frame. There's too much headroom in the open matte.

For those worried that the matting will cover up boobies, this is one film that shouldn't have that problem.
Old 09-13-07, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Your tech talk is confusing to me. I'm not really knowledgeable about ratios. I apologize for my lack of technical savvy. I've taken a grab from the current DVD and made a diagram mainly to make my it simpler for myself to understand. So who can clarify for me 100% (I'm sure it's already been said) what the new release will be. Either 1. or 2.?

I want multiple opinions on this guys.
It will most likely be option two.

Films shot flat (1.85:1) are generally shot at the "fullscreen" ratio of 1.37:1 (which is very close to the standard 1.33:1 TV screen) and, when shown in the theater, the top and bottom of the image are matted off to the appropriate 1.85:1 size.

If you have a 1.85:1 DVD with both widescreen and fullscreen versions, find a spot in the movie and compare the two different images.

There's a common misconception out there -- perpetrated mostly by widescreen evangelists -- that widescreen always offers more image than fullscreen. In most cases (unless the movie was shot in scope 2.35:1) this is false.
Old 09-13-07, 02:46 AM
Cool New Member

Thank you for Josh-da-man, for the direct answer.
Old 09-13-07, 06:08 AM

Yes but there's also the case where movies are indeed shot in 1:33, and since the director knows it's going to end up being 1:85 in theaters, they don't pay too much attention at the matted parts, where sometimes you could see equipment, which to me is not cool.

There's a site too showing a scene from A Fish Called Wanda where the whole joke is ruined by the fact that the movie is shown open matte.
Old 09-13-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
There's a common misconception out there -- perpetrated mostly by widescreen evangelists -- that widescreen always offers more image than fullscreen. In most cases (unless the movie was shot in scope 2.35:1) this is false.
i've never known anyone to say that widescreen always offers more image than fullscreen - but rather that widescreen offers a more correct image than fullscreen. (maybe i just don't know many "widescreen evangelists" though). by getting the widescreen DVD, you guarantee (though there may be a few exceptions) that you're getting the film in its original theatrical aspect ratio. a fullscreen dvd that is open matte was not composed by the director primarily for 1.33:1 (including Kubrick who only secondarily ensured that the open matte framing would be acceptable), even if it does give you "more image."
Old 09-13-07, 09:34 AM

But what people need to consider is that MORE image isn't important. It's the INTENDED, theatrical image. Which is 1.85:1.
Old 09-13-07, 09:46 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's pretty much the same thing with animation cels.

I have a couple from some anime, and the cels and the backgrounds are much larger than the image as they were actually presented in the shows. Both of them have several inches of extra art all around the frame.

In fact, one of them even has the loose brushstrokes going off from the desired art in the background where they knew that it wouldn't get shown. It's very cool looking, but it would be really irritating to watch the whole show like that.

One of my cels from the original Ghost in the Shell movie is of one of the main characters, where the cel shows him full-bodied down to his knees, and in the show, he's cut off on the right side of the frame, so that vertically, barely even half of him is there.

Filmmakers often work the same way, sometimes to leave room for open-matte presentations. Sometimes, just to have room to make corrections or changes to the way they want the composition to work or to cover up unseen problems in the frame.
Old 09-13-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love the Kubrick threads...

I'm keeping my old box and buying the new one... It's Kubrick.
Old 09-13-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MikeDeN2K
But what people need to consider is that MORE image isn't important. It's the INTENDED, theatrical image. Which is 1.85:1.

Agreed. I think, with most films, the ultimate goal is to get MORE of what was INTENDED. When there has been extensive cropping, pictureboxing, etc., we are not even seeing the intended image. We have the entire image with Kubrick. Which one is correct? Here's my take:

Since Kubrick protected the 1.33:1, if you still have an old, non-widescreen, CRT t.v., he would probably want you watching the fullscreen.

If you have a new widescreen t.v., I think the answer seems pretty clear that he would want you watching the 1.85:1. This is how he intended the films to look; his framing/blocking (with examples on the page copied above) supports that proposition. So to watch "MORE" image (1.33:1) when you have equipment perfectly capable of displaying his original intentions subverts those intentions.

Think of it this way: the idea of a theater showing the 1.33:1 image, and advertising it as "Come see the ENTIRE image!" is ridiculous. Due to matting, there is a difference between "the entire image" and "what the director intended." I believe it is the latter that we must support. But to each his own.

Last edited by cgray; 09-13-07 at 01:08 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.