Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Man With No Name Trilogy

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-07, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Man With No Name Trilogy

I want to get this but I really don't want to spend $70 for the Sergio Leone Anthology. Is this set good? What are the differences between the two besides the fact that the SLA has two discs each and has Duck, You Sucker? Because I could care less about those anyway. Is the trilogy set anamorphic widescreen? Thanks.
Old 09-03-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have the set you're referring to, so I can't really comment on how good it is. I do have the Sergio Leone Anthology, however. Amazon had it for about half off as their "Deal of the Day" a couple weeks ago. If you can hold off and get a good deal on it at some point, I highly recommend doing so.

Duck You Sucker is quite possiby Leone's best film so you will definitely want to own it. Trust me on this, it's a masterpiece.
Old 09-03-07, 01:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is the OLD version. GBU is 16x9 only.
look below: Date of first sale at Amazon: 1999

The new box would have a 2007 arrival date and would be minus GBU
Old 09-03-07, 03:19 PM

The old set is really bad, especially for Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. The latter has audio that's about a half second or a second out of sync, so you're always seeing people get shot before you hear it (I think, or else it's the other way around). It's horribly distracting. Plus, like people have already mentioned, those two are non-anamorphic and look and sound pretty bad. You want the new ones, plus maybe the old TGTB&TU if you don't like the extended cut.
Old 09-03-07, 03:21 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm definitely not going with the 1999 release now, hopefully the 2007 one will go on sale again. Seashellz, you kind of confused me, from reading your post it looks like you are saying the 2007 set doesn't include The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly? I know that's not right.
Old 09-03-07, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Yeah the Leone anthology will be at a good price during DD's sale...or you can pick and choose the individual 2-discers during that time if you don't want them all.
Old 09-03-07, 04:36 PM

Cool, the sales happen in November, right?
Old 09-03-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Imail724
Thanks for the info, I'm definitely not going with the 1999 release now, hopefully the 2007 one will go on sale again. Seashellz, you kind of confused me, from reading your post it looks like you are saying the 2007 set doesn't include The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly? I know that's not right.
There are two different cuts of TGTBTU. The one in the Leone anthology has some added scenes and (if I'm not mistaken) different audio than the original cut. I'm sure somebody else here can go into more detail, but that is what Seashellz meant.
Old 09-03-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Originally Posted by Imail724
Cool, the sales happen in November, right?
Yup.
Old 09-03-07, 11:51 PM

I would totally bypass the "Man with No Name" boxed set because the newer "Sergio Leone Anthology" boasts the definative versions of all three films in the 'Dollars trilogy'. I held on to my original copy of "The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly", though, for the sole purpose of having the original SFX track -- (the new version in the "Sergio Leone Anthology" features a newly remastered and resounding 5.1 track that is very impressive...but also distracting if you are as used to the movie as a total Leone nerd like myself; I admit that the new soundtrack effects and 20min of added scenes are incredible, but to a purist..they sometimes seem out of place).
Old 09-04-07, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
Duck You Sucker is quite possiby Leone's best film so you will definitely want to own it. Trust me on this, it's a masterpiece.
No way--I was very disappointed in Duck You Sucker when I finally saw it. Still, he should still get the newer set, and then try to supplement it with the older cut of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
Old 09-04-07, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Ginwen
No way--I was very disappointed in Duck You Sucker when I finally saw it. Still, he should still get the newer set, and then try to supplement it with the older cut of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
It has definitely divided people; I feel it's one of his best, only topped by Once Upon A Time In America.
Old 09-04-07, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ginwen
It has definitely divided people; I feel it's one of his best, only topped by Once Upon A Time In America.
Old 09-05-07, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recently bought the Leone Anthology from Amazon when it went on sale. I am planning on giving the old versions of Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More to my brother. Can anyone think of any logical reason why I would want to hold on to either of those?
Old 09-05-07, 06:28 PM

There aren't any reasons to keep either.