Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Blade Runner - so many versions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts
I guess I'm a little dismayed that a trusted site that does comparisons would use camera shots without a disclaimer.
Old 12-15-07, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I'll wait to see the results for myself but baracine does raise some troubling points.

It's one thing to have a new version and for the director to reimagine the film as he sees fit.

It's quite another thing to go back to older versions of the film and reimagine them (e.g. color timing).

This trend toward greenish hues (since the Matrix) isn't just a trend ... in this case (if true) it alters history.
Old 12-15-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by baracine
Any idea why dvdneaver would mix camera shots and computer screenshots in the same presentation?
As crs posted, dvdbeaver didn't mix camera and computer shots in any of their articles. The mixing of shots was done by me in this thread, as I pulled the HD shot from their HD article to compare with the DVD shots of the same image from their other articles.
Old 12-15-07, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ctyankee
It's one thing to have a new version and for the director to reimagine the film as he sees fit. It's quite another thing to go back to older versions of the film and reimagine them (e.g. color timing). This trend toward greenish hues (since the Matrix) isn't just a trend ... in this case (if true) it alters history.
The greenish tint doesn't exist in the other versions of the film on this new release. The color values of the 3 cuts on disc 3 are the same as they were on the 2006 remastered Director's Cut DVD, which baracine wrote in his original post retained the film's original color values.

baracine's preference for the supersaturated color of the 1997 DVD has more to do with his personally preference for always more color, even where it didn't originally exist, despite his claims of artistic and historical purity. If Van Helsing or The Matrix came out on DVD tomorrow in un-tinted, super saturated color, he'd jump on them in a heartbeat.

Finally, we don't know what the film's original color tone actually was. baracine is basing his opinion of the original color scheme on the first DVD release, which may or may not be accurate. I'm guessing that the remastered versions of the original cuts are closer to the original color scheme, but that's only a guess. It's also possible that the green tint in the final cut isn't a "re-imagining," but rather what Ridley Scott originally intended the film to look like, but was vetoed like so many of his other original intentions for the film.
Old 12-15-07, 12:02 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jay G.
The greenish tint doesn't exist in the other versions of the film on this new release. The color values of the 3 cuts on disc 3 are the same as they were on the 2006 remastered Director's Cut DVD, which baracine wrote in his original post retained the film's original color values.
I only said that the flesh tones were still close to human on that one, not that it was perfect or that it retained the original colour values.

BTW, this shot is from the SD Final Cut transfer from dvdbeaver (http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...ner-4-disc.htm) and thus presumably a REAL screen capture in the digital domain and it shows a terminally livid sallow-faced Tyrell walking into a room lit by a blue-green sunset:

Maybe they should have offered an optional black and white version for the purists who can't stand any colour at all.

Last edited by baracine; 12-15-07 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-15-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I only said that the flesh tones were still close to human on that one, not that it was perfect or that it retained the original colour values.
Again, from your initial post:
Two excellent reasons to keep your 1997 DVD of the Director's Cut:
2. It's the last version (with the 2006 limited edition of the Director's Cut) to preserve the original colour values.
Unless I'm reading that wrong, you wrote that the 2006 DVD preserved the original color values. The 3rd disc on the new set has the same color values as the 2006 DVD according to the screen shots.

BTW, this shot is from the SD Final Cut transfer from dvdbeaver...
I've already stated that the Final Cut has more of a blue-green tint than the other cuts or previous DVD releases have had. ctyankee was talking about the other cuts on this set, which don't have that tint. And finally, you don't know that the other cuts or DVD releases truly retain the original color scheme, just that they're different from the Final Cut.
Old 12-15-07, 02:02 PM
crs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
The 3rd disc on the new set has the same color values as the 2006 DVD according to the screen shots.
Have you seen this comparison?

According to these screenshots, there are some color differences from the 2006 remastered director's cut and the director's cut from the new 5-disc set. Especially screenshot #4 and #7, the colors appear warmer on the newest director's cut.
Old 12-15-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WEEDEDOUT
ordered in august from amazon. looked in my history and says this will ship around december 28.
W
T
F
according to amazon, mine was ordered 7/27 and the delivery estimate (with 2 day shipping) is 12/20.
Old 12-15-07, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,728 Likes on 2,676 Posts
I ordered my SD Briefcase November 9th from Amazon and it currently says it will ship December 24 and will arrive between January 2 and 8. What the hell is up with that? Are they overstuffed with orders or something?

Is alot of people pre-ordering online assuming their will be a shortage in the B&M's?
Old 12-15-07, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kms_md
according to amazon, mine was ordered 7/27 and the delivery estimate (with 2 day shipping) is 12/20.
I ordered 7/31 and my delivery date is the same as yours w/2-day shipping.
Old 12-15-07, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not sure why people are using the 97 DVD transfer, widely regarded as poorly done, as a definitive answer for the original colors. Why would you trust a bad looking transfer, that little effort was put into, as anything worth noting? In the process of putting it on DVD there is a very good chance they didn't pay attention to how it originally looked. Who knows the source they used, and if it was scanned properly?

The caps comparing the 2006 disc and the new one, look as if the most recent was darkened, which would make some of the images look warmer. Some look lighter, though and Cap 11 is an anomaly and I can't attribute that to Scott because I see no reason he would care about timing the other cuts, especially when they aren't consistent. Cap 11 also features the Final Cut having the most color of any version.

Obviously Scott did colortiming on this Final Cut. It's hard to tell if it was how he originally wanted it or not because this is the first official cut of his. Ultimately it looks like the FC has a mix of all the colors from every version.
Old 12-15-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by crs
Have you seen this comparison?

According to these screenshots, there are some color differences from the 2006 remastered director's cut and the director's cut from the new 5-disc set. Especially screenshot #4 and #7, the colors appear warmer on the newest director's cut.
I was basing that statement on this post I made a page back. With the horrible 97 DVD sandwiched between them, the two differently sized images from the 2006 and 2007 DVDs looked more or less identical.

If you put them one after the other, 2006 first followed by 2007:

Yes, I can notice a very slight shift in color, with the 2006 one being a touch warmer. However, as far as baracine's arguments and ctyankee's worries are concerned, the shift is so slight one wouldn't notice it unless doing direct AB comparisons on an online discussion. Likewise, the website you linked to further illustrates how minor the changes are, with the exception of screencap 11 on that site.

As for that screencap 11, it looks like either one of two things happened:

1) The transfer technicians erroneously thought the shot came from the green-tinted final cut, and thus leached all the green out.

2) As the CE disc contains 3 different versions of the film accessed via branching, the transfer for that particular shot was from a print of one of the theatrical cuts. Perhaps Scott was adding green to the image as far back as '92 when first attempting to assemble a director's cut.

Last edited by Jay G.; 12-16-07 at 12:16 PM.
Old 12-15-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drop
Cap 11 also features the Final Cut having the most color of any version.
Cap 7 on that site is another example of the Final Cut having more color, and actually being less green, than any other version.
Old 12-15-07, 09:06 PM

Has there been any reviews yet with shots of the briefcase with all the stuff in it? I'm curious to see what the actually size is. I'm guessing just slightly larger than the DVD case inside, but then it would have to have a little extra room for the unicorn and spinner.
Old 12-15-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MikeShaynePI
Has there been any reviews yet with shots of the briefcase with all the stuff in it? I'm curious to see what the actually size is. I'm guessing just slightly larger than the DVD case inside, but then it would have to have a little extra room for the unicorn and spinner.
Look back at post #66.
Old 12-15-07, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Look back at post #66.
Don't know how I missed that. Thanks!
Old 12-16-07, 11:49 AM

I'll be disappointed if Amazon doesn't ship my Blu-ray briefcase tomorrow. I put it on pre-order at the beginning of the month, and it's said "shipping the 18th" ever since, which had me hoping they'd ship it on Monday. I'm going out of town on the 20th for 5 days so I would have liked to have gotten it then, especially since I was having it shipped to my office, which will be closed from the 20th to the 7th. So just in case I changed the shipping address to my house, and changed shipping to 2-day (even though it generally always takes two days to get a package from Amazon under regular shipping) and now the shipping date has changed to the 20th! Amazon will really disappoint me if it doesn't ship Monday.
Old 12-16-07, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is not intended to be insulting in any way, but I wonder if certain people have ever been tested for partial color-blindness. The capture of the 1997 DVD has Tyrell's face looking like roasted lobster, way way too red, and not "more human" as claimed. My brother is partially color-blind and has a weird perception of certain colors and less of an ability to discern more subtle and realistic shades (like the newer transfer, which isn't garish and red-tacular like the older one).

B seems to have an agenda and is making a lot of assumptions about "current trends" and Scott's "lost" talent. Lots of anger.. grrrrr!

As for the Amazon shipping issues- this is why I never order anything I'm really looking forward to online... I just hear way too many stories of inexplicably delayed shipping dates. Screw that, I'll just stroll into Best Buy with a steaming cup of coffee and get those new discs with my own hands.
Old 12-16-07, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Screw that, I'll just stroll into Best Buy with a steaming cup of coffee and get those new discs with my own hands.
I used to always thing that way, but it is like 15 bucks plus tax on the whole thing more at Best Buy for the high def briefcase than it is on Amazon. If it doesn't ship on Monday though I may do the same.
Old 12-16-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, not sure if this has been answered, but do we know how many of the briefcases have been made? I know it's numbered so I'm basically asking for the number after the slash.
Old 12-16-07, 07:23 PM

On the bottom of the briefcase mine say 28463/103000. So I would say 103000.
Old 12-16-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, that's pretty high. A lot more than I thought.
Old 12-16-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by ramones70
On the bottom of the briefcase mine say 28463/103000. So I would say 103000.
Funny. I can just picture the marketing meeting ... so should we limit it to one hundred thousand?

No, that's not enough.

Well, how about 125,000?

Too much.

Well how about ...

Btw, DVDBeaver thought little of the briefcase and contents were a bunch of cheap looking trinkets ... of course that doesn't make it so but word to the wise as it does not sound encouraging.
Old 12-16-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by ctyankee
Btw, DVDBeaver thought little of the briefcase and contents were a bunch of cheap looking trinkets ... of course that doesn't make it so but word to the wise as it does not sound encouraging.
It's just not worth double the price, IMO.
Old 12-16-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

103000 does sound like a pretty high number. I wonder how that breaks down into HD DVD, BR, and SD numbers of sets. Does this set have a poster offer in it? Many Warner collector's sets have poster offers. The Song Remains the Same, Superman, The Searchers, etc. Blade Runner had great poster art.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.