Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
And what are you doing Typing here Fusion? Arent you watching movies?
Old 10-11-07, 11:54 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by FusionX
Even if someone lists 20 movies in a day, who cares? Just watch movies and don't worry about what anyone else is doing.
I think I'm going to do 20 in a day just to piss people off.

Go to bed really early one night, wake up well rested at 0200, and easily stay awake for the next 22 hours watching short movies. Heck, if you found those mythical 40 minute films you could watch 36 films in one day.

Seriously people, this complaining about other people's lists is lame. It's a personal challenge, not a contest. I'm having a blast watching, posting, and reading others comments on the films they watch. If someone lists 36 films a day for all 30 days, bravo for them.
Old 10-11-07, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the Olympic committee
I think we should start testing for movie watching enhancement drug use
Old 10-11-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very well. I am done playing detective. I know others have the same problem, but I will be the face of the problem. Anyway, Im done questioning others. I just see it as lame, but hey thats me and my opionion.
Old 10-11-07, 12:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darkgod
Anyway, Im done questioning others. I just see it as lame, but hey thats me and my opionion.
I think you questioning people is lame too, so you're right. I've also submitted my list of movies I'd like to watch for today, I am waiting on your approval.
Old 10-11-07, 01:09 PM

Very well. I am done playing detective. I know others have the same problem, but I will be the face of the problem. Anyway, Im done questioning others. I just see it as lame, but hey thats me and my opionion.
That's good. I don't think Dvdtalk needs an Internal Affairs department just yet.
Old 10-11-07, 01:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I have wanted to post my thoughts on a few of my first time viewings but it's been a little delayed:

Week 1 Highlights:

Nosferatu (1922) with soundtrack by Type-O Negative
This was the first time I've watched this version, there were parts I liked and parts I didn't, the songs with vocals were a little distracting.

Underworld (2003)
I enjoyed the first one but didn't care for the sequel.

The Doll Master (2004)
One of those movies where a group of people come to the mansion and start dying one by one, but an interesting take on it. Plus you gotta love the cheesy CG spinning head.

Die! Die! My Darling! (1965)
Nice British horror film.

King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962) / King Kong Escapes (1967)
These films really look great on the new DVDs released last year, it's just to bad that we only got the US cut & dubbed versions.

Hostel (2005)
I wasn't a big fan of Cabin Fever but I really liked Hostel.

The Return of Dracula (1958)
This movie has one of the greatest horror scenes of all time. I won't spoil it for you, but you'll know it when you see it.

Week 1 Disappointments:

Underworld: Evolution (2006)
Blade: Trinity (2004)

Last edited by josepotato; 10-11-07 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think you questioning people is lame too, so you're right. I've also submitted my list of movies I'd like to watch for today, I am waiting on your approval.
Ring around the rosey.

Last edited by Darkgod; 10-11-07 at 02:54 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by josepotato
I have wanted to post my thoughts on a few of my first time viewings but it's been a little delayed:

Week 1 Highlights:

This was the first time I've watched this version, there were parts I liked and parts I didn't, the songs with vocals were a little distracting.

)

Ive heard about this but never got a chance to see it. Where did you pick it up?
Old 10-11-07, 01:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
counting... 3, 2, 1... banned. nice knowing you darkgod.

Week 1 Highlights:

Underworld (2003)
I enjoyed the first one but didn't care for the sequel.

The Doll Master (2004)
One of those movies where a group of people come to the mansion and start dying one by one, but an interesting take on it. Plus you gotta love the cheesy CG spinning head.

Die! Die! My Darling! (1965)
Nice British horror film.

King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962) / King Kong Escapes (1967)
These films really look great on the new DVDs released last year, it's just to bad that we only got the US cut & dubbed versions.

Hostel (2005)
I wasn't a big fan of Cabin Fever but I really liked Hostel.

This movie has one of the greatest horror scenes of all time. I won't spoil it for you, but you'll know it when you see it.

Week 1 Disappointments:

Underworld: Evolution (2006)
Blade: Trinity (2004)
I have to say I actually thought the pacing/action level of 'Underworld Evolution' was better IMO.
Old 10-11-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I thought it was better too. What i did like was that they didn't Up he action effects and budget since the first had a good cult following.
Old 10-11-07, 01:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
josepotato; which version of Underworld did you watch the theatrical or extended - I guess I didn't find the extended cut to be all that.
Old 10-11-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think I'm going to do 20 in a day just to piss people off.
You could go through most of the 26 episodes of MoH on a Saturday if you tried.
Old 10-11-07, 01:37 PM
Cool New Member

If you watch a movie with Dracula, Wolfman, Mummy, Godzilla, Frankenstein, and Damien could you check all of them of on the things to see check list.

I was wondering what the fewest amount of movies you would need to watch to complete the check list.

later
Swarty
Old 10-11-07, 01:53 PM

Ive heard about this but never got a chance to see it. Where did you pick it up?
Actually I found it at a Dollar Store, the back of the case says Digiview Entertainment.

Originally Posted by Giles
josepotato; which version of Underworld did you watch the theatrical or extended - I guess I didn't find the extended cut to be all that.
It was the theatrical.
Old 10-11-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Swarty
If you watch a movie with Dracula, Wolfman, Mummy, Godzilla, Frankenstein, and Damien could you check all of them of on the things to see check list.

I was wondering what the fewest amount of movies you would need to watch to complete the check list.

later
Swarty
I thought about that when I watched Van Helsing? Then I just gave up on doing the list.
Old 10-11-07, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
You could go through most of the 26 episodes of MoH on a Saturday if you tried.
I've never seen any of them, but did buy the season 1 boxset. So I will watch all 12 (13?) of them on one rainy day perhaps.

If I like them, where would I find season two? Are they on DVD yet?

I'm thinking I won't like them all that much, as I'm finding that most horror post 1990 is not my cup of tea. Most of it just seems like gorenography.

I hope MoH surprises me, but I'm not betting on it.

I still have 4 of the legacy sets to buy or complete watching, so that will probably be a big part of my "20 day" some Saturday.
Old 10-11-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually have never seen an episode 1 besides dance of the dead and Takishi's Miikes. I saw all of seaosn 2 and there are some real good ones in there, and not all fo them rely on gore or nudity by any means. I think you'll like them.
Old 10-11-07, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Swarty

later
Swarty
Which checklist though? The fairly short initial one (from Shack I think), the much longer one that I've added to a few times, or the other unique ones that people have been quietly editing themselves?

I know it's kind of lame, and that I just spent so much time on it due to my OCD, but I had a blast adding to and competing my checklist. It made the first week easy to watch films almost non-stop, as I was trying to complete my "bingo card".

Once I completed it, I've slowed down my watching bigtime, and I sort of miss having stuff to check-off.

And back to your question Swarty, there are several films where you could check off perhaps seven or more things at once. Quick example off the top of my head is House of Frankenstein. It has two actors off the actor list, two creatures in the genre list, the year slot, the rating slot, and part of a multiple sequel film.
Old 10-11-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad
Seeing "Nightmare City" last week has got me thinking about those fast moving zombies that sprint right past the rigor mortis infested Romero ones. How many films actually have them? I can recall the following:

1. Nightmare City ('80)
2. Return of the Living Dead (+ sequels) ('85)
3. The Stuff ('85)
4. 28 Days Later ('02) - Yeah, I know they're not technically zombies.
5. Dawn of the Dead ('04)
6. 28 Weeks Later ('07) Ditto.

What am I missing ...and is NC really the first to introduce them?
Seen Planet Terror yet? Although (Again) not techincally zombies, the first batch of "Sickos" you see in the movie got that quickness.

Hmmm. Saw the movie last week. But can't remember no specific creepy scene. What I do remember though is how effective the theme music for The Shining is on a vampire movie!
Old 10-11-07, 02:15 PM

I actually have never seen an episode 1 besides dance of the dead and Takishi's Miikes. I saw all of seaosn 2 and there are some real good ones in there, and not all fo them rely on gore or nudity by any means. I think you'll like them.
Cool, I'll stay hopeful then.

And I think you're new here, so remember that personal attacks are usually punished here with suspensions or banning. You may want to edit that comment and apologize to FusionX. We're all just trying to help each other enjoy horror here.
Old 10-11-07, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Hmmm. Saw the movie last week. But can't remember no specific creepy scene. What I do remember though is how effective the theme music for The Shining is on a vampire movie!
I watched it on TCM and...
Spoiler:
...in their version when the steak is hammered though Jennie's heart the print changes from b&w to color and you see red blood spurting out of the wound.
Old 10-11-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
I watched it on TCM and...
Spoiler:
...in their version when the steak is hammered though Jennie's heart the print changes from b&w to color and you see red blood spurting out of the wound.
A-HA! Thanks for solving a mystery I had!
Old 10-11-07, 03:13 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Trevor
Which checklist though? The fairly short initial one (from Shack I think), the much longer one that I've added to a few times, or the other unique ones that people have been quietly editing themselves?
Actually I have been using your list. I deleted a couple items because I didnt want to subject myself to an Uwe movie. I also got rid of 1890-1910 because I dont have any horror movies that old, plus I am not a big fan of silent films. The checklist has been very helpful. I have over 2800 DVDs (my OCD) and its hard to decide what to watch sometimes. With the checklist I can watch a movie I probably have never seen and check something off the list.

Later
Swarty
Old 10-11-07, 03:21 PM

I've watched a few silent horror films for this challenge and i enjoyed them. I liked Les vampires and the original Fall of the House of Usher (anyone watched the new DTV one? Is it worth watching?)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.