Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 3rd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-07, 01:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Between the horror movies and watching shows to save space on my DVR, who has time to post??
Old 10-06-07, 01:52 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper

I'm amused by the fact that people whom almost never post here are so deeply entrenched in this year's Challenge. I guess they don't have time to post anywhere else in the forums because they're too busy watching movies every waking hour of the day.
Well, aren't you special. Who is this directed at?

Guess what? This isn't a closed club, and you don't get to determine who can be "deeply entrenched" in this year's Challenge. I don't post a lot, so what?
Old 10-06-07, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Muddy Shores
Well, aren't you special. Who is this directed at?

Guess what? This isn't a closed club, and you don't get to determine who can be "deeply entrenched" in this year's Challenge. I don't post a lot, so what?
It's not directed at anyone specific so chill out. I'm making a broad generalization, that's all.
Old 10-06-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
For the record, we're kind of digging hearing from people who don't post often. Makes this thread a bit more special that it draws people in.
Old 10-06-07, 10:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I miss gutwretcher
Old 10-06-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Homemade microwave popcorn, eh? I'll have to give that a try.

No bad vibes are gonna get me down today. Just back got back from getting the mail and inside waiting were two boxes containing "The Blind Collection", "The Twisted Terror Collection", "From Beyond", and "The Burning". Then I find out I've won two DVDs from the Eight Films To Die For series courtesy of FANGORIA Radio.

In fact, I'm in such a good mood, even the fact that the TT collection box corners (from DVD Planet) are dented on both sides and a portion of that order is still on backorder won't bring me down. It's a beautiful day out so I'm gonna take advantage by watching a couple of films outside on the laptop.
Old 10-06-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
I miss gutwretcher
You completely read my mind! I was just thinking there's been a considerable lack of nunsploitation and Blue Underground titles being watched! And it was just last year that he manged to pull off watching 89 in 21 days time:

Didn't reach original goal of 120 due to Kayak trip and work-related matters...still very impressive for 21 days worth of viewing.
And the year prior to that he pulled off 112 despite being in the hospital:

Gotta give props to gut - even though he was on track for 240 and didn't reach his goal of 130, he still hit an impressive 112 despite his plans being derailed due to a few days of hospital stay.
Old 10-06-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad
Homemade microwave popcorn, eh? I'll have to give that a try.

No bad vibes are gonna get me down today. Just back got back from getting the mail and inside waiting were two boxes containing "The Blind Collection", "The Twisted Terror Collection", "From Beyond", and "The Burning". Then I find out I've won two DVDs from the Eight Films To Die For series courtesy of FANGORIA Radio.

In fact, I'm in such a good mood, even the fact that the TT collection box corners (from DVD Planet) are dented on both sides and a portion of that order is still on backorder won't bring me down. It's a beautiful day out so I'm gonna take advantage by watching a couple of films outside on the laptop.
did DVDplanet use a box or bubble envelope?
Old 10-06-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so has anyone watched any movies that they have yet to see before and been blown away at em? I have seen alot of new movies i never got around to seeing, but nothing mindblowing. Most of my new movies are simply because my job has ever channel imaginable available but i wanna go movie shopping for some stomache churning horror. any reccomendations?
Old 10-06-07, 02:31 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycloth
so has anyone watched any movies that they have yet to see before and been blown away at em? I have seen alot of new movies i never got around to seeing, but nothing mindblowing. Most of my new movies are simply because my job has ever channel imaginable available but i wanna go movie shopping for some stomache churning horror. any reccomendations?
I somehow avoided the original Omen until yesterday. Great film.
Old 10-06-07, 03:23 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
Oh, the Omen is just great. It's the quality of the cast, and the great feeling of suspense throughout, that really sets it apart. I have it to watch later in the month, but I think I'll avoid the remake, unless someone here can champion it.
Old 10-06-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Well, considering the remake was made solely to exploit a quirk on the calendar and they were too lazy to even come up with a new script it doesn't bode well.
Old 10-06-07, 03:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
I picked up the original Omen today!! I've somehow never seen it. Can't wait to crack it open tonight!
Old 10-06-07, 03:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Shack
Oh, the Omen is just great. It's the quality of the cast, and the great feeling of suspense throughout, that really sets it apart. I have it to watch later in the month, but I think I'll avoid the remake, unless someone here can champion it.
Dear God no, avoid the remake if at all possible, it is quite bad.

I only own the remake because I bought the boxset that included it with all four of the original films.

And I only watched it because of the remake check item in our extra stats section here.
Old 10-06-07, 06:47 PM

Speaking as one with a list total in those suspicious low 20s, I'm blessed with a partner who makes enough money at his job that I can afford to sit home all day watching horror movies. This challenge works out pretty well for me, since sitting on the couch watching movies is how I've been spending a lot of time anyway, mostly while hand-sewing assorted costume pieces for various projects. I don't think I'll be beating out the past masters, but I hope to at least top 100 by month's end.

Last edited by Penh; 10-06-07 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-06-07, 07:23 PM

My can't-believe-I've-never-seen-this review:

This morning I watched Michael Powell's Peeping Tom (1960) -- I'm sure many of you have already seen it and know how brilliant it is. I won't give too much of the plot away, except that the central character is a photographer who tries to capture fear in his subjects by filming them at the moment of their death (which he, of course, causes). The film doesn't have much onscreen blood or violence, but the tension it builds makes that unnecessary. Peeping Tom was widely banned upon release and pretty much ended Powell's career; Psycho came out a few months later and changed the horror landscape, although I'd argue Peeping Tom's better and more suspenseful. What it says about film and watching film, particularly horror film, will keep me thinking for a long time.
Old 10-06-07, 07:27 PM

I was originally surprised by how many movies people were fitting into a day until I did it. There are many short horror films, mainly the older stuff. Throw in a lot of Masters of Horror and you can easily get 5-6 in a sitting.

Of course I have nothing better to do right now but as the month progresses I have parties, a second job starting up ect.

Oddly enough my normal job allows me to watch films and my 2nd job will as well so I can get one in per job usually.

So for this first week I'm pretty much working, sleeping and watching horror films. I've also found that I own some real stinkers
Old 10-06-07, 08:20 PM

I've had fun with the challenge mostly. So far the best films (some of which really surprised me since I was expecting them to be terrible for the most part) were The Reaping, Disturbia, Broken, I Know Who Killed Me. Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye, and Rabid Dogs.
Old 10-06-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts
It was a busy busy week at work, also had some car issues...but finally got one in today, Severance. Going to try to slip in one, possibly two more later tonight. Slow start for me, like always.
Old 10-06-07, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shack
My can't-believe-I've-never-seen-this review:

This morning I watched Michael Powell's Peeping Tom (1960).
Superb film. I heartily recommend you view the documentary included with the Criterion disc, I found it to be quite informative.
Old 10-06-07, 09:51 PM
Banned

I've had a blast so far, not to mention saving shelf space by clearing out stuff that either sucked or I won't watch again.
Old 10-06-07, 10:19 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
It's not directed at anyone specific so chill out. I'm making a broad generalization, that's all.
Oh. So I wildly overreacted, then. Sorry.

I choose to blame violent movies. They drove me into an uncontrollable rage.

Damn you, Hollywood!
Old 10-06-07, 10:38 PM

Damn you, Hollywood!
Heh, I can see it now -- the Horror Challenge lists used as defense evidence in a trial. "Please your honor, I am not responsible for my actions. I just had to get 100 movies watched in October!"
Old 10-06-07, 10:52 PM

Damn you, Hollywood!
LMAO.

"Broken" and "Hate Crime" drove me into an uncontrollable rage. I must walk through a field of flowers and bunnies and calm down now.
Old 10-06-07, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Damn you, Hollywood!
It's all good.
That's not a bad defense. Shit...last October I was on the verge of killing someone. I should have gone through with it and used that defense. Well, there's always next month,lol.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.