1408 - October 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-07, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1408 - October 2nd

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/1408.html
Old 08-17-07, 10:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
cool! another horror film to add to my October Halloween Film Challenge queue.
Old 08-17-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wonder what extra footage will be added to the unrated cut? I'm definitely going to be getting this when it comes out. It's one of my favorite King adaptations in recent years.
Old 08-17-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard great things about this film, so it will be a blind buy for me.
Old 10-02-07, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
FYI, CC currently has the 2-disc for $17.99 on their website. I was able to price match at Best Buy.
Old 10-02-07, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Willh51
FYI, CC currently has the 2-disc for $17.99 on their website. I was able to price match at Best Buy.
Great price! I wish I had seen this post earlier before I got the dvd at target for 22.99 and opened it and watched the extras already.

Oh well, I love the movie and the dvd set seems pretty tight. I love having BOTH versions of the movie for sure. I am pleased to have it even at a few extra bucks.

Last edited by onebyone; 10-02-07 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-02-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Just finished watching the Director's Cut and LOVED it! Completely different than the original. But much much more effective IMO. What a great horror film. Best in years.
Old 10-02-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by onebyone
Great price! I wish I had seen this post earlier before I got the dvd at target for 22.99 and opened it and watched the extras already.

Oh well, I love the movie and the dvd set seems pretty tight. I love having BOTH versions of the movie for sure. I am pleased to have it even at a few extra bucks.
I was going to buy it even if BB wouldn't give me the cheaper price. I really liked the theatrical cut and can't wait to watch the disc after this week's exams and check out the director's cut. It is great to have both cuts, more dvds should do this.
Old 10-03-07, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Excellent news. I'll see if I can price match it at work tomorrow.
Old 10-03-07, 03:38 PM

I was going to buy it even if BB wouldn't give me the cheaper price. I really liked the theatrical cut and can't wait to watch the disc after this week's exams and check out the director's cut. It is great to have both cuts, more dvds should do this.
Oh don't get me wrong, if I could've gotten that discount, I surely would have.

I really enjoyed the director's cut. It is funny how a few minor changes can change the tone of the movie. I am SO glad we have both versions on this set, because it saves me from having to go buy 2 dvds because they are both enjoyable and I couldn't pick the one I like best. Great dvd release.
Old 10-03-07, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Just finished watching the Director's Cut and LOVED it! Completely different than the original. But much much more effective IMO. What a great horror film. Best in years.

doesnt the DC have both versions?
Old 10-03-07, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just finished the theatrical cut via rental and thought it was a pretty good film. I didn't have any problems with the ending of the film. In fact I didn't have any issues with the last half of the film as some critics did much to my surprise. I expected it too turn into a standard CGI fest based on the reviews. But it didn't,at least in my opinion.

So I'm curious what the differences in the Directors Cut are and what is the ending like? There are two alternate endings available on the rental.

Spoiler:
#1- mike dies, boss or whoever at publishing company(I think) gets a package from Mike,and its a manuscript of 1408 that is thick,like a few hundred pages long. He begins to read it,as various bits of dialogue from earlier and throughout the film play,and the camera pans back,through the office,doors slam shut..fade to black as final voice over plays.

#2 similar too theatrical ending. Only Mikes wife does not hear the daughter and mike on the recorder. Mike then turns off the recorder and holds cuddles it in away and it fades to black.

Is either one of these endings used,or is it something completely different? I'd love to know!
Old 10-03-07, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's the director's cut ending:
Spoiler:

Mike dies. After the burial when the editor and Mike's wife are about to get into the car Samuel L. Jackson approaches them. He offers Mike's wife the box of his belongings that were found after the fire mentioning that Mike "didn't die in vain". Editor gives him the look. Mike's wife says that's not how she'd want to remember him. They get into the car. Sam Jackson listens to the tape recorder in his car. Listens to the part about himself. Then Mike's daughter's voice is playing saying "Daddy". Mr. Jackson looks in the rear-view mirror and sees a little girl. He looks again. AAAAAHHHHHH! (JUMP SCARE HERE). He drops the recorder. He looks again. The little girl and her father leave the cemetery (just some random people). SLJ drives off. Dissolve to the burnt hotel room 1408. Mike is walking around. The he hears his daughter's voice calling "daddy!'. He says "Oh yes..." and disappears while walking through the room's door.
The end

Plus a movie is a bit longer...
Old 10-04-07, 08:24 AM

how soon do you think the price for the DC will drop?
Old 10-04-07, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Just rented the DC from Netflix last night. I was blown away by the film! I went in not expecting much, but man, this movie really freaked me out.

Hopefully CC or BB will honor CC's online price. This movie's a keeper.
Old 10-04-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

wasnt it exclusive to blockbuster?

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Just rented the DC from Netflix last night. I was blown away by the film! I went in not expecting much, but man, this movie really freaked me out.

Hopefully CC or BB will honor CC's online price. This movie's a keeper.
Old 10-04-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by xage
I believe that's only exclusive to B&M rental stores. Netflix can carry them.
Old 10-05-07, 06:15 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by xage
I have the DC coming from Columbia House anyday now and can't wait to watch it and add it to my October Horror Movie challenge
Old 10-05-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Evil ASh
Here's the director's cut ending:
Spoiler:

Mike dies. After the burial when the editor and Mike's wife are about to get into the car Samuel L. Jackson approaches them. He offers Mike's wife the box of his belongings that were found after the fire mentioning that Mike "didn't die in vain". Editor gives him the look. Mike's wife says that's not how she'd want to remember him. They get into the car. Sam Jackson listens to the tape recorder in his car. Listens to the part about himself. Then Mike's daughter's voice is playing saying "Daddy". Mr. Jackson looks in the rear-view mirror and sees a little girl. He looks again. AAAAAHHHHHH! (JUMP SCARE HERE). He drops the recorder. He looks again. The little girl and her father leave the cemetery (just some random people). SLJ drives off. Dissolve to the burnt hotel room 1408. Mike is walking around. The he hears his daughter's voice calling "daddy!'. He says "Oh yes..." and disappears while walking through the room's door.
The end

Plus a movie is a bit longer...

I don't care for this ending at all. I like the original theatrical one.
Old 10-05-07, 06:37 PM

I don't care for this ending at all. I like the original theatrical one.
Yeah, me too. I mean it's closer to the book from what I've heard (didn't read it though). But to me - one of the reasons why this movie is so good is because John Cusack is perfectly cast in the role of Mike. You want the ending to be somewhat uplifting. On the commentary track the director acknowledges that and agrees that the theatrical cut ending plays much better with the audience.
Old 10-05-07, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Huh. Didn't think it would work, but I got this deal today. BB even called over to the local CC and got the approval. Cool. Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-06-07, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I also had no problem getting this pricematched at BB for $17.99. They didn't even call or anything.