Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Casshern R1 -- October 16th, 2007 (?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Casshern R1 -- October 16th, 2007 (?)

Listing finally popped up on Amazon.com (taken from twitchfilm.com) - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000UAEBFK

Not sure how accurate it is, what extras there are, or what. Not the greatest movie in the world (alright so my head hurt by the time it was over), but nice to see it make its way stateside... and still has one hell of a cool trailer.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fr10hFLscGA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fr10hFLscGA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 08-14-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Product Details on that Amazon page don't add up ...

Studio: Paramount Home Video
Run Time: 80 minutes
This could be placeholder info, but does Amazon normally put up such incorrect placeholder info? Is Paramount really the studio distributing this? I thought Dreamworks acquired the North American rights to Casshern a couple of years back. And the running time is really wrong. This couldn't be a release of the Japanese Anime series, could it?

I was just thinking about this the other day, coincidentally. I purchased a factory-pressed "copy" of the Japanese 2-disc edition at a convention in 2005, right before I heard about Dreamworks acquiring the R1 distribution rights. But the R1 disc never materialized.
Old 08-14-07, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Depends what division of Dreamworks acquired the movie. Dreamworks animation/SKG remains on its own, but Dreamworks LLC is now part of Viacom who placed them as a sort of sibling/subsidary of Paramount.

So as such, it may very well be Paramount releasing the DVD. That said, the runtime is incorrect, but they usually are until release.
Old 08-14-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This is a good film to watch with the subtitles off. ANY dialogue you could imagine would be better than that actually written for the actors.

If anyone's interested, I have the 3-disc Korean Ultimate Edition (R3) for trade here.
Old 08-14-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I really enjoyed this movie! I own the 3-Disc version too.
Old 08-15-07, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GoFish Pictures, DreamWorks' independent arm picked up the film years ago.

Paramount Pictures currently has an agreement to distribute all DreamWorks films theatrically and to DVD.

Thus Casshern will be released to DVD via Paramount.

HEY!

Under other studios, the three-disc set would be ported over to R1. However, knowing DreamWorks and Paramount's record, there's a better chance of hell freezing over.
Old 08-15-07, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

FWIW, the Thai R0 is very nice and only $10.50 shipped:
http://www.ethaicd.com/show.php?pid=17144
Old 08-15-07, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, divisions and things don't matter. At this early stage, Amazon will say the parent company (if this was an MGM film it would say 20th Century Fox).
Old 08-22-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's a more official statement of release, along with cover art. Apparently, it's a director's cut. I can't recall if the 2-disc. non-R1 edition was a director's cut or not. Can somebody enlighten me?