Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Not so special editions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DJariya
300: I'm sorry to say this, but this disc is a little bit of a downer as well. The making of featurette is 5 1/2 minutes long!! You would think this would be the type of movie that gets an extensive 1 hour + making of documentary that covers pre-production, production and post production.
I'm betting on a loaded double-dip for this within a couple years. Maybe when the next Frank Miller deal comes down the pipeline into theaters. But hell, even "Troy" is winding up with a director's cut and very elaborately-packaged collector's edition, so this release is probably just something to tide people over for a while.
Old 08-05-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The extras on Boogie Nights could easily have fit on one disc.
Old 08-05-07, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Same thing for "The Others" CE ... could have quite easily been on 1 disc. However, I believe this is the only available version of it, so at least no one double-dipped.
Old 08-05-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with the original poster's assesment of the not-so-special edition of "The Deer Hunter", but IMO the commentary with cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond is excellent. Some of the best information I have heard about the interaction between a DP and actors, for example.

Universal distrubutes this in the U.S. and Warner does in Europe, which I suppose is why we have two different commentaries. Hearing Cimino would be great because as far as I know he is not out and about that much. How difficult would it be for these two companies to cross-license their commentaries? HMMM??

Also, to address the original topic, Blue Underground's "My Brilliant Career" is a two disc set that could have easily fit onto one disc. The extras on disc two are nice, but brief (about 30 minutes) and the movie itself is 100 minutes. To be fair, the director's commentary is quite good.
Old 08-05-07, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Other 2-disk sets that could have easily fit on one disk:
V for Vendetta
A fistful of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More
Tombstone
Lord of War
Windtalkers (a 3 disk set in whichs disks 2 and 3 could have had all the content from both disks combined onto 1 disk)
Old 08-05-07, 07:08 PM

The new Fletch might not be that "special" in content, but it is special to those who haven't been able to get it. Unless you're unhappy that it destroyed the eBay market.

But if you already have it, then it wouldn't matter.
Old 08-05-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Santa Clause - Special Edition

Only extra of any real substance is a six-minute promo piece that apparently redefines "fluff."

--THX
Old 08-05-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
Also, to address the original topic, Blue Underground's "My Brilliant Career" is a two disc set that could have easily fit onto one disc. The extras on disc two are nice, but brief (about 30 minutes) and the movie itself is 100 minutes. To be fair, the director's commentary is quite good.
Another Blue Underground title, The Final Countdown: LE (2-disc individually numbered edition), could have also easily fit on one disc. However, the few extras here that differ from the 1-disc version are worthwhile and I'm glad I have a copy.
Old 08-05-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by emachine12
Halloween H20 - featurette, music video, and trivia game. The original artwork listed a commentary and DTS 5.1 audio which weren't included.
This is the worst in history. In addition to the above, the film is non-anamorphic and it had a $39.99 list price when it first came out.
Old 08-05-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
^ Same thing for "The Others" CE ... could have quite easily been on 1 disc. However, I believe this is the only available version of it, so at least no one double-dipped.
I may be mistaken, but I think they may have finally released this as a 1-disc set with all the features. I thought I saw it before at Circuit City.
Old 08-05-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I find Universal in particular tends to double-dip or even triple-dip but those releases have very little to offer over the original version.
Old 08-05-07, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by dx23
Pretty much everything that Universal has re-released as a special edition since 2001. Big Lebowski, Fletch, Flash Gordon, The Jerk, Mallrats, The Blues Brothers. They have had some good releases like the legacy collections but the other gimmicky rereleases have been atrocious.
I would add Babe:SE. This was the second release by Universal after the first went OOP long ago. I liked the movie but the features all pretty suck along with some lame games and I hated those forced trailers you had to watch and couldn't skip them at all.
Old 08-06-07, 07:03 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
The new Fletch might not be that "special" in content, but it is special to those who haven't been able to get it. Unless you're unhappy that it destroyed the eBay market.

But if you already have it, then it wouldn't matter.
What is the story here? I see that Fletch SE everywhere.

Oh wait, I guess you mean there was an original Fletch DVD that sold crazy on ebay?
Old 08-06-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Most WB 2-discs sets for new releases have been pretty lame. Compare them to the studios own rereleases of Green Mile, Batman, Superman, etc.
Old 08-06-07, 03:17 PM

A River Runs Through It, "Deluxe" Edition. It's an absolute joke.
Old 08-06-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Deer Hunter Legacy Edition is an absolute joke IMO. There's no commentary from Cimino and the material on Disc 2 could have easily fit on Disc 1. Plus, there's no extensive Making Of Documentary. I know the British R2 release has Cimino commentary, why weren't they able to import that to the R1 release?
Old 08-06-07, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by dom56
I would add Babe:SE. This was the second release by Universal after the first went OOP long ago. I liked the movie but the features all pretty suck along with some lame games and I hated those forced trailers you had to watch and couldn't skip them at all.
Yes, going from fullscreen to widescreen is a completely worthless upgrade.
Old 08-06-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor

Oh wait, I guess you mean there was an original Fletch DVD that sold crazy on ebay?
Universal had previously released a bare-bones edition of Fletch on DVD that had gone out of print for quite some time before the "Jane Doe" edition was released.
Old 08-06-07, 10:21 PM

I agree with the original poster's assesment of the not-so-special edition of "The Deer Hunter", but IMO the commentary with cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond is excellent. Some of the best information I have heard about the interaction between a DP and actors, for example.
Oh, I don't think the commentary was bad. I was just comparing the entire package of what was released here compared to what was released in the UK.
Old 08-06-07, 10:28 PM

Stand By Me - Deluxe Edition

It's the same disc packaged with a booklet and a soundtrack CD. If it weren't my favorite movie, I wouldn't have double-dipped. Some kind of retrospective on River Phoenix would have been nice, such as what was done on the Stripes disc with John Candy.

I'm still hoping for a better Special Edition of this movie.
Old 08-06-07, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor

As has been said, there was an earlier release, which commanded big bucks on eBay and such. I and others managed to snag it in October 2005 when it showed up in a WalMart $4.88 assortment.
Old 08-07-07, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya

Bourne Identity: Explosive Extended Edition: Don't buy this one, the new 3 disc Bourne series has the original version with Liman commentary. This one has a bunch of fluffy EPK featurettes.
I thought the version included in the 3 disc set was the same as the explosive extended edition? At least, that's what I was lead to believe.
Old 08-07-07, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by mijorico
Stand By Me - Deluxe Edition

It's the same disc packaged with a booklet and a soundtrack CD.

The same can be said for the Rudy - Deluxe Edition. They throw in a soundtrack disc, new coverart and expect people to flock to the NEW super edition.
Old 08-07-07, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by LoPan5705
The same can be said for the Rudy - Deluxe Edition. They throw in a soundtrack disc, new coverart and expect people to flock to the NEW super edition.
I would've said that one, too. But at least I didn't already own the original version when I bought the DE. It is still a pretty poor excuse for a Deluxe Edition.

At least Shawshank got it right with the soundtrack, book, and an upgraded disc.
Old 08-07-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Swahili
'Fletch' comes immediately to mind, as does that paltry 'Escape from NY' 2-disc that could have easily been a single disc release. The commentary may be great, but there's only one deleted scene and a 22-minute 'making of'; thats not enough shit to need a whole other disc for!
Gotta disagree on the ESCAPE FROM NY: SE.

Not only is the picture re-mastered from the (previously believed lost) original camera negative, but the "one" deleted scene is the legendary original opening of the flick and lasts about 10 minutes long!! Factor in another great Carpenter commentary and you've got yourself a worthy double-dip there IMO...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.