Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

List Your DVDs that are Crazy expensive on Amazon Marketplace

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, holy threadbump! I forgot all about this discussion.

Anyhow, to those that disagree with my assessment of Amazon vs. eBay - what you need to remember is that (1) just because someone asks a certain price, that doesn't mean the item is worth that much. You have to look at completed sales for a more accurate picture. Building off of that is (2) you have to look at MANY completed sales to get an accurate estimate of value. Just because one idiot over-paid on Amazon (or eBay for that matter), that doesn't mean that you're going to get the same amount if you sell your DVD.

Now if Amazon has a way for you to search completed sales of an item like eBay does, you'd have a better reference tool... but just looking at what people are asking for their item doesn't do much.
Old 10-04-07, 06:50 PM

bit off topic

I want know if there is software that can keep track of amazon marketplace price and auto-update. I want something like their wishlist but with more control. With their wish list, you cannot sort by marketplace prices. I bascally want excel type spreadsheet with title ands its amazon marketplace pricing that auto-adjust? Any ideas?
Old 10-04-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's amazing how these B movies that only a few of us can love are the DVDs that seem to increase in value when the go OOP.
Old 10-04-07, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just sold off all my New Concorde Sword & Sorcery DVDs on ebay. Deathstalker I, II, and IV, Barbarian Queen I & II, Amazons, and The Warrior and the Sorceress. Made over $300 off of those.
Old 11-10-07, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
A few interesting things this week

Fright Night Part 2 is still hovering around $100
Basket Case 3: The Progeny shot up to $80 (due to 2 finally coming out on dvd)
The Complete Dirty Harry VHS Set is going for $40?
Starship Troopers special edition $40
And wasn't Society just on sale? Single disc of that is $30

nothing to exciting but had to for Basket Case 3
Old 11-10-07, 05:30 PM

While not crazy expensive I have a sealed copy of the out-of-print MUNICH dvd....(I should probably sell this soon)
Old 11-10-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Amazon prices are predicated on the mentality that the seller can bide his time infinitely until someone bites- hence pricing it as high as realistically possible.
If I didn't have to go out of town frequently to work, and gone for extended periods without checking my email, etc- I would list stuff on Amazon.
But I'm under time constraints so ebay works better in that sense.

Unfortunately, there can be a huge disparity in what Amazon seller prices are and what something is 'actually' worth.
I sold of Man From Planet X which was listed as low as $37 on Amazon and only got $17 for it.
Old 11-11-07, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Truly, Madly, Deeply is going for over $180 for a new copy
Old 11-11-07, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Anyhow, to those that disagree with my assessment of Amazon vs. eBay - what you need to remember is that (1) just because someone asks a certain price, that doesn't mean the item is worth that much. You have to look at completed sales for a more accurate picture.
That's for sure. Some chumps were putting up Farscape 1.1, Starburst edition for around $100. By the time I actually sold it, and after a reduction war with a fellow seller, it was only about $43. Likewise, I put up My Mom's A Werewolf for $65, and reduced it to $30 before someone actually cared. I still get a LOT more money on Amazon, on average, than I ever do on Ebay for oop items.
Old 11-11-07, 09:42 AM

The 47 Ronin: One seller is asking $300+.
Old 11-11-07, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first Marilyn Monroe Diamond Collection is going for $79.95 and up, even though the five individual films in the set are all still in print.
Old 11-11-07, 12:27 PM

Not many for me.

Title............................Paid......................Amazon

Watership Down............8.95.....................39.99
Nightmare Before
Christmas/James and
the Giant Peach...........28.80.....................84.99
Midnite Movies:
Creepy Classics............30.47....................65.99
Old 11-11-07, 01:18 PM

Not a DVD, but I had a similar experience with a video game recently. I was going to trade in a couple of games and looked up Rainbow Six Vegas (CE) for the 360 and saw a couple listed at $75-$150. GameStop was offering $11 for it, so I decided to list it for $55 and see what happened.

The next morning I got an email to ship it. It's the old adage that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. (Perceived) supply and demand at work.

(Heck, I even debated buying a copy at GameStop for $20 and relisting it, but ...)
Old 11-11-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like LIQUID SKY is back in print. Thought about selling it when the price was @ $100, but the film holds a special place for me. Was worried, of all the OOP disks I had, this one might stay that way...
Old 11-12-07, 01:35 PM
Banned

I'd like to add to what MovieExchange was saying. Completed listings on eBay are certainly a better gauge than Amazon prices (I only wish other Amazon sellers knew that), but auctions are unique in that all there has to be is ONE other person who wants the item, and you'll end up overpaying time and again just to outbid the other person. Sure, certain DVDs can sell repeatedly for $65, but that doesn't mean they're actually WORTH that. A DVD is only worth what someone will pay for it one-on-one in a set-sale situation.

For example, I have this DVD, how much will you pay for it? You're not trying to outbid someone else, just how much is it worth to you? Obviously people have to be willing to part with enough cash to outbid their competition on eBay, but I doubt many of them would pay the same prices in a retail store where having the DVD in your hands prevents anyone else from buying it. In those cases, if a DVD is priced at $65, it goes back on the shelf if the customer isn't willing to pay that, and it doesn't go up to $100 when the next person comes along and buys it. Why do you think sellers love the auction format???

As far as crazy Amazon prices, I'm appalled at what people are asking for The Pointer Sisters: So Excited, mostly because I kept passing it up for $7.99 at BEST BUY. Unfortunately, so many other people probably did as well that there were relatively few copies made, and therefore it's unlikely to show up used in a local store.
Old 11-12-07, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
A recent thread reminded me of this one
A few interesting finds
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Purchase,,,,,,,,,,,,Current Marketplace
Fright Night Part 2,,,,,,,,,,,,$10,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$157.95
Female Space Invaders,,,,,,$6ish,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$47.54
^this is currently one of the worst movies I own, I wish I could sell dvds but something won't let me AHHHHHH
Combat Shock,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$10,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$33.85
Luscious,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$10,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,$29.95

Ah, good old Kari Wuhrer and her awesome implants (sadly since removed ). Looks like I have a $200-260 DVD in my collection

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...4897089&sr=1-1

Old 11-12-07, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll go with the lowest-ish price for the legit product.

Cowboy Bebop Perfect Sessions (Limited Edition) : $349
Sid & Nancy CC (sealed) : $102
Hard Boiled CC : $45
Fantastic Planet : $29

Off-hand I don't know what else I own that would have a high price.
Old 11-12-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah. Some store somewhere had a sealed cache of "Sid and Nancy" Criterions turn up in like 2002, and I bought one. I still have that sealed. I also bought a sealed "Halloween" limited edition years ago, and never opened it.

I also have the Criterion edition of "Rebecca," which I opened, and "How to Get Ahead In Advertising," also opened, and I realized just now that the word "Ahead" in that title is extremely funny.

Back then, collecting DVDs seemed like a hobby. DVDs as collectibles seems like a pretty stupid idea now, and I just buy movies.
Old 11-12-07, 03:28 PM
Banned

I finally sold one of my Kill, Baby...Kill Dark Sky DVDs, only wound up with $110 though.
Old 11-12-07, 03:41 PM

I used to sell dvds on Ebay, but after finding that they sell for 5 to 10 times more (consistently) on Amz, I closed my Ebay store. Many times, if you have a true rarity, say like an unopened copy of Fear Of A Black Hat, it will be bought by a library or corporate entity who really don't care about the price.
Old 11-12-07, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by CrumpsBrother
Looks like LIQUID SKY is back in print. Thought about selling it when the price was @ $100, but the film holds a special place for me. Was worried, of all the OOP disks I had, this one might stay that way...
It's not back in print. The version available now is a bootleg from Televista/Jef Films. They're the biggest bootlegging operation out there and they steal any film they think they can get away with. The authentic original "Liquid Sky" disc from MTI remains OOP. Jef Films basically just stole the entire content from that release and reissued it. They did the same thing with the old Lucertola disc of "Rabid Dogs".

Amazon looks the other way and basically allows all Televista/Jef Films' hundreds of crappy bootlegs (most taken from old VHS tapes) to be sold on their site.

Last edited by man*machine; 11-12-07 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-12-07, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
A few interesting things this week

Basket Case 3: The Progeny shot up to $80 (due to 2 finally coming out on dvd)

nothing to exciting but had to for Basket Case 3
What the ...?! I was finally going to order that since I was waiting for part 2 to come out! Just two weeks ago, it was only around thirty bucks on Amazon. Sonofadirtybitch.

Last edited by dcrw6; 06-17-11 at 08:13 PM.
Old 11-12-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by kintnerboy
I used to sell dvds on Ebay, but after finding that they sell for 5 to 10 times more (consistently) on Amz, I closed my Ebay store. Many times, if you have a true rarity, say like an unopened copy of Fear Of A Black Hat, it will be bought by a library or corporate entity who really don't care about the price.
I was all set to start listing some OoP things on there last night, until I read what their fees are- 15% of the total sale price + $1.80 for listing and the money transaction.
The 15% in particular seemed daunting to me- and then it makes no sense to position your copy of something in the middle of the pack, so if you really want to move it anytime soon you have to lowball it- so the lowest prices seem to be the most you can expect- unless you aren't in any hurry whatsoever to sell something.
I'd still like to move some stuff if I could be assured of getting the low price on Amazon- but not eager to take a 15% hit on top of the low ball price.
Old 11-12-07, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by izatright
I still get a LOT more money on Amazon, on average, than I ever do on Ebay for oop items.
That's true. I recently sold Freaks and Geeks Yearbook edition for $350 when e-bay would sell for around $300.
Old 11-12-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had no idea Fear of a Black Hat was going for so much on Amazon!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.