Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Complete Series Sets: Full House, Gilmore Girls, The O.C.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Complete Series Sets: Full House, Gilmore Girls, The O.C.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by critterdvd
See the problem with releasing five seasons at once is the price. If someone was to release say a "complete series" of DOOGIE HOWSER then it would 4 seasons and probably an MSRP of $149.95. While People would probably (more casual fans) be willing to shell out say $40 4times over the course of a year or two, people wouldn't be so hip to spending it all at once.

Yeah, that's the big problem for me, too. Picking up a season here or there is one thing, but shelling out a huge amount at one time is totally different. Plus, a lot of the times, you get the individual sets on sale, so in essence, you're paying more for the complete series box. Ex- Sex and the City has gone for $17.99 at the store. $17.99 x 7 sets = $125.93 - However, the complete series is currently going for $199.99 and never goes on sale. So, a lot of times, it is cheaper to get the seasons individually.
Old 07-25-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see the point, & I never really took that into consideration. In the long run I guess I would rather buy season by season like I do with all TV shows that I collect, It's just sad that some titles only get the season 1 DVD release (or just a "Best Of") & the rest of the seasons never see the light of day on DVD. It's just the idea of having them all in one go that sounds good.
Old 07-25-07, 04:41 PM

I didn't suggest that the individual seasons not be released as well. I just believe that shorter run series should be a no brainer for a complete series release. Also, the MSRP for a show like Doogie or ALF would run more like 119.99.
Old 07-27-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dayewalker
This is exactly the question I came here to ask. That would be the only thing that would get me to double dip on this series.
Get ready to double dip!

News on The O.C.-The Complete Series.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7741

News states that Season 1 is remastered in Widescreen for the first time.

Also, there is a picture of the packaging.
Old 07-27-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, double-dip indeed. I'm glad I held off on buying the last season.
Old 07-27-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
The complete OC set looks good. I'm tempted...
Old 07-27-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,697 Likes on 2,657 Posts
Damn I have all 4 seasons already. I'm curious if those 2 bonus discs are the ones that Target distributed with Season 3 and 4. That set looks really nice, but I spent way too much money on all 4 seasons and I can't see myself selling them off to get this set.
Old 07-27-07, 02:22 PM

sigh. such NICE packaging for the OC, PLUS widescreen for season 1!? for probably the first time ever, i'm actually contemplating a full-series double dip. sigh. i suppose if i can find some really amazing deal or accumulate a lot of best buy RZ certificates, i can convince myself it's worth it.
Old 07-27-07, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
WS baby!

Good job I only have S1 and S2 on dvd - S2 still sealed too!

...can't believe I just used the banana!
Old 07-27-07, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have all 4 seasons, but I'm getting that OC one. I paid next to nothing for my 4 seasons, so it won't hurt me too much. I wonder how much it will be in stores..
Old 07-28-07, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gilmore Girls will still be 4x3, right? I would only double dip if they were widescreen...
Old 07-29-07, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have all 4 seasons, but I'm getting that OC one. I paid next to nothing for my 4 seasons, so it won't hurt me too much. I wonder how much it will be in stores..

Same here. Even though I remember paying quite a bit for season one (60 bucks!!) and being quite pissed when they discounted it months later, but season 2 & 3 were fairly cheap and I didn't even bother picking up season 4 because of the rumors of a complete set. So yea, I'm in for a double dip as well.
Old 07-30-07, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Planet Earth/Blue Planet set is up for preorder now for 83$. Im glad I waited on the original set as this looks great. It says 10 discs, but just packaging the other 2 together would be 9 right?

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Earth-B...5833505&sr=1-1
Old 07-30-07, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starman9000
The Planet Earth/Blue Planet set is up for preorder now for 83$. Im glad I waited on the original set as this looks great. It says 10 discs, but just packaging the other 2 together would be 9 right?

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Earth-B...5833505&sr=1-1
There's a bonus disc with the Blue Planet SE, so that's probably where they get 10 from.

I'm waiting to hear what is on this extra disc before deciding to Ebay both sets and buy this.

I'm really hoping it's nothing but fluff, because I wasn't expecting an edition to come out with a bonus disc.

Crap.
Old 07-30-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
i wonder why they didnt make it a doll house instead of like paper-doll set. a house seems like it would've been nicer. this set looks too tall to sit on a normal shelf without turning it sideways.

I really wish this thread would die.

I am totally not interested in selling all 6 seasons and buying this new set with no real bonus features.

But then I see all the pretty pictures...and I start to twitch and sweat profusely.
Old 07-30-07, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I really wish this thread would die.

I am totally not interested in selling all 6 seasons and buying this new set with no real bonus features.

But then I see all the pretty pictures...and I start to twitch and sweat profusely.
I thought about it this weekend, but I think I will pass. Like you said no great new features, plus the discs will likely be prone to scratch the way they are housed and the packaging really does not save a ton of room. Plus if I sell my regular sets, I will still be paying some out of pocket costs even factoring the extra $20 or so season 7 will eventually cost.
Old 07-30-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That OC set looks amazing and with Season 1 being released in WS, I'll just have to own this collection.

I love these end of year, complete collections. Merry Christmas to me
Old 07-30-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Big Dave
I thought about it this weekend, but I think I will pass. Like you said no great new features, plus the discs will likely be prone to scratch the way they are housed and the packaging really does not save a ton of room. Plus if I sell my regular sets, I will still be paying some out of pocket costs even factoring the extra $20 or so season 7 will eventually cost.
But look at all the pretty pictures!
Old 07-31-07, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
There's a bonus disc with the Blue Planet SE, so that's probably where they get 10 from.

I'm waiting to hear what is on this extra disc before deciding to Ebay both sets and buy this.

I'm really hoping it's nothing but fluff, because I wasn't expecting an edition to come out with a bonus disc.

Crap.
Does this sound like new content?
DVD Features:
Documentaries:Amazon Abyss - In the depths of the Amazon live an amazing array of astonishing creatures Dive to Shark Volcano - Venture to Cocos Island, an underwater volcano whose waters are a haven for sharks. Between the Tides - Exploring the distinctive sights and sounds of an estuary in winter, featuring many natural spectacles caused by the tide. Antarctica - An examination of the cold, desolate continent of Antarctica.
Featuretteeep Trouble - A compelling exploration of the impact of civilization on the oceans
Interviews:Interviews with series producer Alastair Fothergill, cameraman Doug Allen and researcher Penny Allen
Other:190 minutes of behind the scenes footage - one 10-minute behind the scenes program for each episode
Photo gallery
Old 07-31-07, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by starman9000
Does this sound like new content?
DVD Features:
Documentaries:Amazon Abyss - In the depths of the Amazon live an amazing array of astonishing creatures Dive to Shark Volcano - Venture to Cocos Island, an underwater volcano whose waters are a haven for sharks. Between the Tides - Exploring the distinctive sights and sounds of an estuary in winter, featuring many natural spectacles caused by the tide. Antarctica - An examination of the cold, desolate continent of Antarctica.
Featuretteeep Trouble - A compelling exploration of the impact of civilization on the oceans
Interviews:Interviews with series producer Alastair Fothergill, cameraman Doug Allen and researcher Penny Allen
Other:190 minutes of behind the scenes footage - one 10-minute behind the scenes program for each episode
Photo gallery

The original specifically states it already has the Deep Trouble featurette you listed and the original has the interviews already.

So, I guess the docs are the new features and it seems to imply there is much more behind the scenes footage. 10 minutes per program comes to 80 minutes and they list 190 minutes of behind the scenes footage.

I'd still like to see something official, but it looks like it probably does have a lot more.

Am I correct that the Planet Earth re-release doesn't have anything new, so there's no reason to double dip on that one if you already have it?
Old 07-31-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just checked the listing for the Blue Planet 5 disc special edition and it lists only 80 minutes of behind the scenes footage. Which is no more than what is already on the first set.

Since there isn't a new disc for the Planet Earth set, that means that the 190 minutes of behind the scenes footage has to be listed wrong.

Even the way it's listed made me wonder. 190 minutes-10 minutes per episode. Well, that only comes to 80 minutes.

The only new features are the docs and I'd like to see how long they run or how comprehensive they are. They certainly cover Antartica in Frozen Seas.
Old 03-13-13, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Complete Series Sets: Full House, Gilmore Girls, The O.C.

old thread bump....but does anyone else have the Full House set and find the dvd cases extremely annoying? Does anyone have any suggestions for a clear 2 dvd slim case pack so I can replace these?