Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Stargate SG-1: Complete Series OCT 9th, Including 4 Bonus Discs.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Stargate SG-1: Complete Series OCT 9th, Including 4 Bonus Discs.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Uggg... This is rough.

1. I already own seasons 1-8
2. Those bonus discs look mighty juicy
3. I wanted to wait until this show was released on High-Def.... But will the bonus discs be part of some (future) high-def release? At least there is SOME precedent with BG being released in HD.

What would be the best is if they offer the bonus discs separately.
Old 08-24-07, 12:17 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Buying TV on DVD is "risky" nowadays.

I am now trying to wait for the complete sets.

Only times I'll buy a season is if it $15 or less(which surprisingly happens almost all the time if you're patient), or has an exclusive bonus disc of course.
Old 08-24-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

And you cheap asses, that wait, are the reason why shows like Cheers, NYPD: Blue, Mad About You and Larry Sanders never get finished. If I like a show, I'm supporting its release so that future volumes make it out. Sure a few extra bonus discs would be nice, but personally I'd rather see the whole series released than to worry about a few measly bonus features I may miss out on.
Old 08-24-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

And you cheap asses, that wait, are the reason why shows like Cheers, NYPD: Blue, Mad About You and Larry Sanders never get finished. If I like a show, I'm supporting its release so that future volumes make it out. Sure a few extra bonus discs would be nice, but personally I'd rather see the whole series released than to worry about a few measly bonus features I may miss out on.
I think that is true of shows with a smaller following, but big-names (like Seinfeld) or genre shows (like Stargate) usually complete all seasons (so may take longer the others). It also matters a lot which company is producing the disks of course.
Old 08-24-07, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I won't be buying The Complete Stargate SG1. The packaging is awful, not the box, the cardboard sleeves. The four bonus discs have almost no replay value. Seinfeld Complete is beautiful though, solid packaging for the discs, exciting bonus material, and a 200 page book (though much like SG1 I own seasons 1-8 of Seinfeld). I would like to just purchse the Stargate Complete box.......

Since I watch my dvds frequently the complete series w/ cardboard packaging doesn't work for me. I'll stick to the slim cases and the great looking but delicate fold out digipacks.

Last edited by skacore; 08-24-07 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-24-07, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by skacore
Seinfeld Complete is beautiful though, solid packaging for the discs
Where'd you see the packaging?
Old 08-24-07, 05:38 PM

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=7928

Seinfeld Complete
Old 10-24-07, 03:47 PM

Anyone have this yet? Do the discs slide around and fall out easily?
Old 10-29-07, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bis22
Anyone have this yet? Do the discs slide around and fall out easily?
Absolutely. They're in cardboard sleeves with nothing really "holding them in". I had several floating around randomly in the box. No damage at all, however.

That being said, this is one slick looking package. The outer box is one of the best looking box sets I've seen in a long time. And while I would prefer something sturdier inside than the sleeves, it doesn't seem like anything's going to get damaged in the long run... and I love the compact packaging. 10 seasons + 4 bonus discs + series booklet in a ~8"x6"x8" box. Amazing.

I'm just a casual fan of the show and have probably only seen about 25% of the episodes (and not in order), so I'm looking forward to spending some time with this during the winter. At $118 or so via the Barnes & Noble coupon, this is an amazing bargain.
Old 11-13-07, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
A few of the discs in my set are scratched. If some of them defective do anyone know who I should contact?
Old 11-13-07, 09:49 PM

I ended up getting this set. The main complaint I have is that none of the packaging is labeled so it's very difficult to find the disc you want! Also, many of my discs are somewhat mislabeled. For instance, it might say "season 5, volume 1, disc 1", and another disc will say "season 5, volume 1, disc 2." WTF? Isn't disc and volume the same thing?
Old 11-14-07, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bis22
Also, many of my discs are somewhat mislabeled. For instance, it might say "season 5, volume 1, disc 1", and another disc will say "season 5, volume 1, disc 2." WTF? Isn't disc and volume the same thing?
The Stargate sets have an idiotic labeling system whereby when they went to
the 2 disc slim cases they gave each case its own volume number. With this
each season had 3 volumes; vol 1 - discs 1&2, vol 2 - discs 3&4 and vol 3 -
disc 5.
Old 11-14-07, 04:02 AM

^ I didn't quite figure out how the Discs and Volume thing worked on my set, so I just went in the order of the season. It helps that it came in the right order to be watched. It was a bit frustrating at first though. I kept looking around for a clue as to what the whole thing meant and if I was missing a disc or something.

Thanks for that info.
Old 11-14-07, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
The Stargate sets have an idiotic labeling system whereby when they went to
the 2 disc slim cases they gave each case its own volume number. With this
each season had 3 volumes; vol 1 - discs 1&2, vol 2 - discs 3&4 and vol 3 -
disc 5.
Oh, that explains it. The individual seasons I've got are in the big cases so they're not labeled that way.
Old 11-18-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm I the only one having any problems with this set? Every disc in the lower pouches has stratches and it only took me till the third disc to have one that's unplayable. I don't want send this back to DD but, I guess I'll have to.
Old 11-19-07, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A bit off topic but is there any place w0here I can buy the volumes seperatly? I got Vols 1-4 of S7 from Suncoast but they didn't Vol 5.
Old 11-19-07, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33
A bit off topic but is there any place w0here I can buy the volumes seperatly? I got Vols 1-4 of S7 from Suncoast but they didn't Vol 5.

If you don't mind used, you can find a lot of them on Amazon and secondspin.com.
Old 12-12-07, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I posted this in the other thread but I think it's relevant here too since Fox/MGM is the one who is putting out this complete series:

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Well I have bad news to report on this set for anyone who has purchased it recently.

I just got the Season 8 slimpak from Frys.com during their 13.99 sale.

Well, this set has the edited version of Threads.

Here's the bad part - this set has a Fox logo on it rather than a Sony logo, which implies this set was made AFTER MGM's distribution moved from Sony to Fox.

So it would appear that while Sony eventually made the corrected disc available at retail, Fox went with the original disc master for disc 5 of Season 8. Very disappointing as I'm sure no exchange will be offered now.
Old 12-13-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I posted this in the other thread but I think it's relevant here too since Fox/MGM is the one who is putting out this complete series:
Ouch! Thank's for the update to those who are in the situation. Luckily I have the lengthy version.
Old 12-13-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
Ouch! Thank's for the update to those who are in the situation. Luckily I have the lengthy version.
I went and found a Sony slimpak version of Season 8 this morning and it had the longer version, so now I just need to exchange or sell off the one I got from Fry's.
Old 12-13-07, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I discovered that I have a shorter version in the set I picked up from Target last month.
Old 08-02-12, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Stargate SG-1: Complete Series OCT 9th, Including 4 Bonus Discs.

Picked this up as an Amazon deal of the day or a gold box deal last week for $64 I think? I thought it was a good deal as a blind buy, and have heard good things about it.
Old 08-03-12, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Quack
Picked this up as an Amazon deal of the day or a gold box deal last week for $64 I think? I thought it was a good deal as a blind buy, and have heard good things about it.
First season is hit or miss but it gets better in 2-4, so be patient.
Old 08-03-12, 03:08 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I bought individual boxset seasons just before they went to those ultra slim cases, I'm glad I was able to get them, I don't particularly care for those new cases with the discs all crammed in there together (like Farscape: The Complete Series), and I don't like the idea of those sleeves in the SG-1 Complete Series boxset either (but that's just me).

It's my opinion that alot of series' first seasons are hit or miss while they find their footing and their direction. Stargate SG-1 is one of my favorite series, and it may be that I'm biased but I think Season 1 is what gets me hooked everytime I watch the series. Sure, story arcs develop later on but Season 1 is where it all began (after the movie of course).

I hope you'll like Stargate SG-1 Quack, you should also invest in the 2 movies (Ark of Truth and Continuum), and watch them between seasons 3 & 4 of Stargate Atlantis. Stargate Universe was a complete waste of time and digital media IMHO. -kd5-

Last edited by kd5; 08-03-12 at 03:29 PM.