Reload this Page >

Classic Sci-fi Ultimate Collection price jump

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 06-20-07, 09:53 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody seen the price jump on this since Amazon ran out of stock? It went from $19.95 to now priced at over $175 in less than 2 weeks. AMAZING! Anyone know the status of this set?
Old 06-20-07, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That much? Hmmmm...

Makes me glad I picked up a second set.
Old 06-20-07, 10:14 PM

Wow that sucks. I was looking for this one in Best Buy today with some extra cash. I had no idea it was OOP/rare/whatever. Wish I woulda picked it up at release, figured it'd always be available.
Old 06-21-07, 06:44 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Darn, I bought and sold of few of these for very minimal profit back when they were first exclusive to BB, guess I should have waited.
Old 06-21-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This thing is seriously OOP? I'm going to have to make a run down to my local BB to see if they have some left. I didn't realize it was that exclusive. Glad I bought one when it came out.
Old 06-21-07, 11:37 AM

Glad I bought it as soon as it came out. I remember the ad saying it was a Best Buy exclusive.
Old 06-21-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone got a pic of what it looks like and what movies are in the collection.
Old 06-21-07, 11:49 AM

Who the he** would pay $175 for this set!!! Insane
Old 06-21-07, 02:00 PM

The set was advertised as "exclusive to Best Buy whilst stocks last". The debate was - did this mean that when Best Buy ran out, there would be a general release? Or did it mean this was a limited edition that you could only get in Best Buy and that this was the only edition there would ever be?

Well, when Amazon got stock, it was kinda assumed that it was the first of the two options. But the set never appeared for sale anywhere else. It sounds like Amazon got hold of some stock from somewhere that maybe they shouldn't, and the set really was a limited edition Best Buy thing.

Heaven knows why Universal would think that this was a good idea, because all it is to cut down the potential number of customers and manages to royally tee off everyone involved.
Old 06-21-07, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by MScottM
The five films are: Tarantula, The Incredible Shrinking Man, Monster On Campus, The Monolith Monsters, The Mole People
Old 06-21-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, I bought a copy on release day. Now I wish I would have picked up an extra copy. I'm definitely keeping the one I have.
Old 06-21-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
What? These were available forever at Best Buy and now they are rare.
Old 06-21-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have this set and really enjoy the films that are on it, but I seriously doubt there's very many people willing to pay nearly $200 for it. I see a number of things on Amazon from re-sellers pushing high prices in the hopes of finding one stooge who'll bite. I can certainly see it fetching some extra cash if it is OOP, but not this much this quick. (And yes, I'm glad I bought mine when it first came out!)
Old 06-21-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pizza
I have this set and really enjoy the films that are on it, but I seriously doubt there's very many people willing to pay nearly $200 for it. I see a number of things on Amazon from re-sellers pushing high prices in the hopes of finding one stooge who'll bite. I can certainly see it fetching some extra cash if it is OOP, but not this much this quick. (And yes, I'm glad I bought mine when it first came out!)
I said the same thing about the used Marx Brothers box set (Image) I bought new several years ago for around $20.00. I gave it to my niece to sell on ebay kind of as a present since she was just married and was already selling on ebay. She got around 220.00!!! for it.

Old 06-21-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MScottM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IV9CDM/
Old 06-21-07, 07:43 PM

My only question is "Where is Volume 2?"

It looks like whatever amount of units Universal made of this set have completely sold out at most Best Buys - and Amazon's mysterious stock has sold out as well. Universal can't be too upset about those sales numbers, can they? I'm sure it wasn't a huge print run to begin with, but it obviously did quite well considering it was released less than a year ago and looks to be completely sold out.

Hopefully Universal will see fit to release another great set soon. I know a lot of fans are still waiting for THE DEADLY MANTIS. What other unreleased titles could they include? I know when Universal finally released MONOLITH, MOLE, TARANTULA, MANTIS, etc. on VHS, part of that series also included ISLAND OF TERROR (1967) with Peter Cushing. Not quite the same era, but I would love to get that one. Has Universal even announced anything for Halloween this year?
Old 06-21-07, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
I just got Island of Terror from R2.
Old 06-21-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by man*machine
My only question is "Where is Volume 2?"

It looks like whatever amount of units Universal made of this set have completely sold out at most Best Buys - and Amazon's mysterious stock has sold out as well. Universal can't be too upset about those sales numbers, can they? I'm sure it wasn't a huge print run to begin with, but it obviously did quite well considering it was released less than a year ago and looks to be completely sold out.

Hopefully Universal will see fit to release another great set soon. I know a lot of fans are still waiting for THE DEADLY MANTIS. What other unreleased titles could they include? I know when Universal finally released MONOLITH, MOLE, TARANTULA, MANTIS, etc. on VHS, part of that series also included ISLAND OF TERROR (1967) with Peter Cushing. Not quite the same era, but I would love to get that one. Has Universal even announced anything for Halloween this year?
There's tons of unreleased Universal horror/sci. THE LAND UNKNOWN, CULT OFTHE COBRA, CURSE OF UNDEAD, NIGHT WALKER, THING THAT COULDN'T DIE, LEECH WOMAN, CURUCCU BEAST OF THE AMAZON, LOVE SLAVES OF THE AMAZON,BLACK CAT(1941), NIGHT MONSTER, MAN MADE MONSTER, MAD GHOUL, DR. CYCLOPS, MURDERS IN THE ZOO, ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, THE CAT CREEPS, MAD DOCTOR OF MARKET STREET, STRANGE CASE OF DR. RX, THE SPIDERWOMAN STRIKES BACK, HORROR ISLAND, CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN, JUNGLE WOMAN, JUNGLE CAPTIVE off the top of my head. I'm afraid that the monster double feature re-issues will be this year's lame offering.

There is a decent R2 release of THE PROJECTED MAN. no extras but it's 16x9.
Old 06-21-07, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516
There's tons of unreleased Universal horror/sci. THE LAND UNKNOWN, CULT OFTHE COBRA, CURSE OF UNDEAD, NIGHT WALKER, THING THAT COULDN'T DIE, LEECH WOMAN, CURUCCU BEAST OF THE AMAZON, LOVE SLAVES OF THE AMAZON,BLACK CAT(1941), NIGHT MONSTER, MAN MADE MONSTER, MAD GHOUL, DR. CYCLOPS, MURDERS IN THE ZOO, ISLAND OF LOST SOULS, THE CAT CREEPS, MAD DOCTOR OF MARKET STREET, STRANGE CASE OF DR. RX, THE SPIDERWOMAN STRIKES BACK, HORROR ISLAND, CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN, JUNGLE WOMAN, JUNGLE CAPTIVE off the top of my head. I'm afraid that the monster double feature re-issues will be this year's lame offering.
Damn! You are right! Tons of great stuff all just rotting away in their vaults! Ya, I can do without another re-issue of FRANKENSTEIN, thank you very much, or the rereleases of those monster double-features. Give us something new!
Old 06-21-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
What about Twins of Evil and Vampire Circus-are they also from Universal?
Old 06-21-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't trust Amazon for prices on the secondary market. Their marketplace seems to be populated by crackheads that think "exclusive" or "out of print" means expensive. I remember when Oblongs was exclusive to Best Buy for the first 3 months of release, the lowest price a new copy was going for on the Marketplace was something like $80.

If these things start showing up on eBay and selling for $100+ (not priced at, but actually selling for), I'll believe that it's in demand.
Old 06-22-07, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by rw2516

There is a decent R2 release of THE PROJECTED MAN. no extras but it's 16x9.
ISLAND OF LOST SOULS FTW! Damn, it's been a long wait for that one. It was announced on, but never released on, pretty much every format, including Laserdisc. I don't think it's ever been on VHS, has it? I remember it was supposed to be coming to DVD with Murders in the Rue Morge, but it never did.

Great film, the best Island of Dr. Moreau. I was lucky enough to see it screened at an art museum back in the 80s, that's the only time I've seen it.
Old 06-22-07, 10:36 AM

The back-catalogue for nearly all of the studios is immense. You get good years and bad years, although at the moment it seems to be Warner that consistently comes up with the goods. You used to be able to rely on MGM too, but then they got taken over by Sony so the back-catalogue releases went down the toilet.

However, this year, things are better; Warner have come up with some good stuff, as usual. However, there are some tasty releases coming from Fox in September, and the Midnite Movies line is resurrected too (distributed by Fox). There's supposed to be some announcements due from Sony.

At the moment, it seems that Universal is the one not playing ball.

As has been said, it would be nice if they released some stuff currently rotting in the archives - not just re-releasing the Dracula/Frankenstein movies for the fourth or fifth time. Anyone who wanted those probably has them.
Old 06-22-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
What about Twins of Evil and Vampire Circus-are they also from Universal?
I think these are Rank Organisation titles. Studio Canal released these with Countess Dracula in R2. I think I read somewhere that when MGM/UA licenced Countess Dracula for R1 they also got these two.
Old 06-22-07, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by gorgo99
ISLAND OF LOST SOULS FTW! Damn, it's been a long wait for that one. It was announced on, but never released on, pretty much every format, including Laserdisc. I don't think it's ever been on VHS, has it?
ISLAND OF LOST SOULS was indeed released on VHS via Universal. We need a DVD pronto!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.