Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone good at math? I'm trying to figure out a DVD collection watching formula.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anyone good at math? I'm trying to figure out a DVD collection watching formula.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-07, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone good at math or statistics? I'm trying to figure out a formula for a percentage of one's own DVDs that are often watched, sometimes watched, rarely watched, and not watched. There are many factors:
1. Out of a year, how many of your DVDs are watched to not watched?
2. Out of a year, maybe one watches that one movie ten times a year.
3. Once every 3 years for example, one particular movie is watched.
4. Out of the past, how many times have you seen that movie since buying it?
5. Out of the future, how many times do you think you will realistically watch the movie after buying it?
6. Eventhough the timeline could start from the creation of VHS, I think it would be less messy if started at the start of DVD, which was about 1995.

I'm curious to see a percentage formula for this, for obsessive consuming DVD sake. After looking at everyone's DVD collection lists, including mine, it is obvious that people with over 400 DVDs cannot honestly call each of those movies their "favorite movie." I assume that everyone's favorite movie or tv episode is watched at an average of 1 to 3 times a year. I'm curious about the percentage of the rest of the non-favorites in everyone's collections.

I am curious to see if a formula can work like this one - Failed Country Index. And instead of countries, it would be the DVD collectors that post in here. So, Iraq would be a person that rarely watches one's DVDs. And Norway would be a person that watches their DVDs at a high percentage:
http://www.fundforpeace.org/web/inde...229&Itemid=366

Last edited by toddly6666; 06-20-07 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-20-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a thread around that touches on some of your questions. However, it has only been going on for a few months. In addition, it doesn't take into account re-watching DVDs.

Personally, I only keep track of whether I watched a DVD, I don't keep track of when I watched or how many times I have watched it (although I could probably remember).

Worth a look.
Old 06-20-07, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Only here would I expect comparisons between DVD watching and the Failed Country Index.

Bravo.
Old 06-20-07, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Bus
Only here would I expect comparisons between DVD watching and the Failed Country Index.

Bravo.
im surprised that so far there are only three replies myself actually.
Old 06-20-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
I keep track of what I watch and I space at least 90 days between viewings of the same dvd.This prevents me from getting tired or burned out from watching the same movie over and over again.
Old 06-20-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I keep track of my viewing habits for curiosity's sake, but I don't generally like to rewatch my favorites multiple times a year. I enjoy them more when they aren't fresh in my mind. In any case, I just pull them out whenever the mood strikes me, whether it's twice in one week or once every two years, but it's far more likely to be the latter.
Old 06-21-07, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
I have 3 different MS Word Documents with different statistics about movies watched - it includes movies, owned DVD's, rental DVD's and goes back to 1993 - so it also includes VHS watching. I have all of these "dates watched" entered into the "NOTES" tab in DVD Profiler and I have a special report I can print out so that then I can thumb through the report and decide "no, already watched this one this year." I try to watch about every 3 years - so now I thumb through the DVD Profiler report and search for the ones which have not been watched since 2004. If something strikes my fancy and I only watched it 4 months ago I do not hesitate to watch it again, this is just a GENERAL GUIDE to what I think will SEEM new and exciting to me.

That way, if I buy a DVD which I had previously only watched the rental version of I can pull out the previously watched dates from the MS Word Documents and enter those dates into the "NOTES" tab of Profiler too and can accurately know how many times I have watched that movie - same with watching in the theater - if I later buy the DVD I can enter the date & place into "NOTES".

EXAMPLE: (not actual, just made up)
Die Hard:
12/12/1998 - At Theater w/ (name)
09/24/1999 - At Home (this means rental VHS - alone at home)
06/10/2000 - DVD - At Home with (name)
02/24/2003 - DVD - At Home (this means alone at home)
etc.

Works for me!