DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dark Crystal 25th Anniversary & Labyrinth Anniversary Edition - August 14

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dark Crystal 25th Anniversary & Labyrinth Anniversary Edition - August 14

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...-editions.html

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has announced an Anniversary Edition of Labyrinth which stars Jennifer Connelly and David Bowie. This two-disc edition will be available to own from the 14th August, and should retail at around $24.96. As well as an all-new transfer, the set features never-before-seen footage recovered from Jim Henson’s home in England, and 60 minutes of exclusive featurettes (including "Paper, Cloth and Creatures", and "Coming of Age") that include interviews with luminaries such as George Lucas and Brian Froud. Topping it all off will be some special lenticular packaging. Unfortunately we can't show you what that looks like yet, but we hope to have a packshot very shortly.

Also arriving on the 14th August will be a 25th Anniversary Edition of Dark Crystal which should keep fans of Jim Henson happy. The two-disc set will again feature an all-new digital transfer, along with footage recovered from Jim Henson's home, and 50 minutes of all-new featurettes (including "Creatures and Creations", "Lifelike Illusion", and "Singular Vision and the Kingdom United"). Again, the discs will arrive housed in special lenticular packaging. Stay tuned for the artwork, and further details as we get them.

Definite upgrades for me!
Old 06-04-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

jesus.i haven't even opened my 2 giftsets of Dark Crystal and Labyrinth which i got from the last DVDplanet B1G1F sale...

arghh...you spend over $30 on a movie then the next thing ya know a new release comes out.FACK U SONY!

Last edited by animatedude; 06-04-07 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-04-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Wow. Is this a triple or quadruple-dip for these flicks?
Old 06-04-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was cosidering picking up the 1 disc versions of these at the DD sale. I suppose I'll wait and see how this turns out.
Old 06-04-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All new transfer, eh? Well played, Sony...well played.
Old 06-04-07, 04:54 PM

I just picked up Labyrinth a few weeks ago for $3.99 at Circuit City. I'll probably eventually get this new edition, but not anytime soon.
Old 06-04-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Doesnt look like the older documentaries are being ported over...? Maybe a good reason to keep the older releases.
Old 06-04-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I LOVE holding out on movies sometimes. I have Dark Crystal but I don't have Labyrinth, for some odd reason. I'll happily buy both of these. It's about time we finally get an anamorphic copy.

Last edited by islandclaws; 06-04-07 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-04-07, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bet the isolated score wont be on the new DC disc. Such a great score.
Old 06-04-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Labyrinth for me. Kinda hoping they port all the old materials over (except for maybe the memorabilia) from the previous premium release as well as adding the new stuff. Can't wait to see what the cover looks like.
Old 06-04-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I LOVE holding out on movies sometimes. I have Dark Crystal but I don't have Labyrinth, for some odd reason. I'll happily buy both of these. It's about time we finally get an anamorphic copy.
Current releases for both are already anamorphic.
Old 06-04-07, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Culver City, CA (06/04/2007) – Join the journey through this twisted maze of events “where everything seems possible and nothing is what it seems,” with Jim Henson’s LABYRINTH ANNIVERSARY EDITION, available from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on DVD August 14th for the SLP of $24.96. Starring GRAMMY®-winning rock legend David Bowie (Best Music Video, Short form, David Bowie, 1984) and Academy Award®-winner Jennifer Connelly (Best Actress in a Supporting Role, A Beautiful Mind, 2001), this genre-bending fairytale was directed by Jim Henson and produced by Henson with Academy Award®-winner George Lucas (Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award, 1992), and includes an original soundtrack written and performed by David Bowie. The LABYRINTH ANNIVERSARY EDITION includes 60 minutes of exclusive featurettes, including all-new interviews with executive producer George Lucas as well as the film’s creators, puppeteers, and others behind the magic. Along with an astounding array of recently rediscovered footage, new high definition transfer and new stylized packaging make this DVD a must-own for a generation of film fans.

Synopsis:

Labyrinth tells the story of Sarah (Jennifer Connolly), a young teenager with an active imagination, who, when frustrated with babysitting her baby brother, summons the goblins to take him away. Be careful what you wish for, because when little Toby disappears, Sarah must follow him into a puzzling fantasy world to rescue him from the Goblin King (David Bowie). Guarding the castle is The Labyrith itself: a complex and twisted maze of trickery, including outrageous characters and inexplicable dangers that Sarah must get through in time to save Toby.

Starring David Bowie and Jennifer Connelly, produced by Jim Henson and George Lucas and directed by Jim Henson.

DVD Bonus Features

Newly Rediscovered footage recovered from Jim Henson’s home in England

60 minutes of featurettes, new interviews of the writers and performers behind the magic including:

George Lucas (Executive Producer)
Brian Henson (Hoggle/Goblin Voice/Puppeteer/CO-CEO, The Jim Henson Company)
Brian Froud (Conceptual Designer/Supervisor)
Karen Prell (The Worm/The Junk Lady/Firey 2)
Dave Goelz (Didymus/The Hat/The Guard/L. Doorknocker/Firey 3)
Mira Velimorivic (Jim Henson’s Creative Assistant)
Gates McFadden (Choreographer)
Toby Froud (Toby)
Jane Gootnick (Senior Puppet Builder)

Rated: PG
Color
Closed Captioned
Running Time: 96 minutes

Culver City, CA (6/4/07) – Become part of Jim Henson’s world and experience the mystical realm of imaginative creatures, fantastical journeys, and the fight between light and dark with THE DARK CRYSTAL 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION, available on DVD from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment on August 14th for the SLP of $24.96. Directed by Jim Henson and Frank Oz ( Little Shop of Horrors, Indian in the Cupboard), THE DARK CRYSTAL 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION sets the highest standard for audio and video available on DVD.

This special 2-disc anniversary edition features a new high definition film transfer, new commentary by Brian Froud, stylized new packaging, previously unreleased footage from the Henson archives and “Reflections on The Dark Crystal” featurettes that include all-new interviews with writers and performers behind the magic such as Brian Henson (son of Jim Henson and co-CEO of The Jim Henson Company), David O’Dell (Co-Writer) and many others.

Synopsis

In another time, the Dark Crystal was the Balance and Truth in the Universe, but it was destroyed and the world split into two factions led by the wicked Skeksis and the peaceful Mystics. Now as the convergence of the three suns approaches, the Crystal must be healed or darkness will reign forever. It is up to Jen, the last of his race, to carry out the prophecy that a Gelfing will return the missing chard of crystal and destroy the Skeksis’ evil Empire. But will Jen be up to the challenge of battling the unknown?

Directed by Jim Henson and Frank Oz with producer Gary Kurtz (Stars Wars, The Empire Strikes Back), this film is a fantasy masterpiece from the incomparable imagination of Jim Henson who has created some of the most inventive creatures ever. THE DARK CRYSTAL weaves the timeless myth of Good and Evil.

DVD Bonus Features

Rediscovered footage from Jim Henson’s home in England

“Reflections on The Dark Crystal” exclusive featurettes including all-new interviews with the writers and performers behind the magic including:

David O’Dell (Co-Writer with Henson)
Dave Goelz and Katheryn Mullen (Performers)
Brian Froud (Conceptual Designer/Supervisor)
Brian Henson (Son of Jim Henson)
Jane Gootnick (Senior Puppet Builder)
Mira Velimorivic (Jim Henson’s Creative Assistant)

Rated: PG
Color
Closed Captioned
Running Time: 89 minutes

Sounds even better. for the new brian froud commentary!
Old 06-04-07, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Sweet, this makes me happy that I've waited to get this on DVD so far....it was hard passing up that collector's set though.
Old 06-05-07, 08:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
hand it Sony for us fans to get f'ed by a muppet.

what,is this the fourth go rerelease?!
Old 06-05-07, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so all the extras from the current giftsets are carried over or what?
Old 06-05-07, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Might finally have to pick
Labyrinth up.
Old 06-05-07, 10:40 AM

Well I just finally got both moves during the cheap sales. I'll have to see how much of an improvement before I jump.

I'm sure not paying that price for these. Maybe $10.00 but that's my limit.
Old 06-05-07, 02:43 PM

I guess I can finally ditch the old VHS copy on this one!
Old 06-05-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by animatedude
so all the extras from the current giftsets are carried over or what?
No, I know you are at least missing that long documentary from Labyrinth ("Inside the Labyrinth" - 45 min.?). I don't recall what Dark Crystal had, as I saw that DVD a long time ago.

Yes, these would mark the 4th versions for these DVDs! That newly discovered footage from the Henson vaults better be good. And the transfer for Labyrinth better be an improvement over the Superbit, as I would only consider selling that (it has no extras) over the first, original release, which I will def. cling to for the extras.
Old 06-05-07, 07:50 PM

Well, I've held off for six frigging years because I knew Sony would eventually release these. I almost bought the giftsets when they came out, but an inner voice told me "These aren't the discs you're looking for" so I waited some more. Finally, I'll be owning these.
Old 06-05-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dcrw6
Finally, I'll be owning these.
Ha! Sucker, don't you know there'll be even better versions in another 6 years. Heck, DVDs will be obsolete in a few years after that. Why buy them at all? ;-)
Old 06-05-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I own the original release of 'Labyrinth' but this release seems like I might double-dip...
Old 06-05-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Covers now added http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...-editions.html
Old 06-05-07, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Moo...talk about milking the cow...but we ARE talking about Sony here, so why should that be a surprise. I've double dipped already, so that is it. There are simply way too many other movies deserving my money at this point, unless there is a very compelling reason otherwise to triple dip. Just my .02 cents...
Old 06-05-07, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Will be tempted to upgrade if the real prices are about 1/2 that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.