Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Alternatives to DVDaficionado?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-07, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SamDVDCompare
Hi smashthesymbols. I'm not entirely sure if you mean the free promo discxs that stores hand out or exclusive releases which include artcards or a disc only for that particular store.

If you mean the promo discs, it should be listed as part of the title. If you mean the exclusive bonus disc which is actually part of the release you shold put it in the edition box as (e.g.) Wal-Mart Exclusive w/ Bonus Disc (or similar).
Examples:

For the 1st type:
http://www.dvdspot.com/search.php?se...t+lights+bonus

For the 2nd type:
http://www.dvdspot.com/search.php?se...query=clerks+2 (look at the last release - Virgin Exclusive).
Old 06-09-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wlverinefactor
Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread but I'm really diggin www.listal.com right now. It works as if dvdspot and dvdaf mated (stats!) but you can also list music, games and books. It's only R1 and R2 dvds though so I know it won't work fo everyone but it's nice having everything in one area and as long as Amazon has the item listed adding an item i s smple it pisses me off at the other sites.So again, the url is...

www.listal.com
How are they at printing reports? I love DVDSpot, but want a way to print a report of my DVDs with simple thumbnails of the DVD covers.

Also it would be nice to be able to print a list of horror movies only, or even have a handy printout of my "need to watch" pile.
Old 06-09-07, 09:56 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
How is DVDSpot about bonus discs, like the extra discs at retailers? DVDAF used to allow some, then deleted all of them from the database, then started allowing them only if they have a matching IMDB entry, which is pretty restrictive.
I agree with Spez that DVDSpot is fairly good with bonus discs.

I've starting using DVDSpot, and have added a few more bonus disc entries. Hopefully I'll get the energy to add them all (I regrettably own almost every bonus disc). But if you and a couple others join and help out by adding some, we'll have the database complete someday.
Old 06-09-07, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
I've got another DVDSpot question, I got help here last time so I'm gonna ask here again. It's easier than joining their forum to ask.

What's the preferred way to handle store exclusives? Should the store exclusive disc be listed separately (How I Met Your Mother Circuit City exclusive) or should it be combined with it's main DVD as a new listing (Tenacious D Best Buy exclusive, Spider-Man 2.1 Wal-Mart exclusive)? I'm hoping the second way, that makes more sense to me than listing the bonus disc by itself.
It can be put in both ways. Usually they are listed with the main title.

But some people, like me, often keep the bonus and sell the main title, so I have been entering them both ways.
Old 06-09-07, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bugg
Instead of calling this piece of shit dvdaf 2 they should go with dvdaf 0.5, because this is most certainly a pretty big step backwards.
You hit the nail on the head!
Old 06-09-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hi smashthesymbols. I'm not entirely sure if you mean the free promo discxs that stores hand out or exclusive releases which include artcards or a disc only for that particular store.

If you mean the promo discs, it should be listed as part of the title. If you mean the exclusive bonus disc which is actually part of the release you shold put it in the edition box as (e.g.) Wal-Mart Exclusive w/ Bonus Disc (or similar).
I'm referring to exclusives with an extra disc that's in the package. For instance, the How I Met Your Mother Season 1 set from Circuit City. It had a bonus disc in a paper sleeve shrinkwrapped onto the package. Instead of being listed as a new edition with a bonus, the bonus disc is just listed by itself.

Set: http://dvdspot.com/dvd.php?d=1655241727
Bonus Disc: http://dvdspot.com/dvd.php?d=1262439334

If I try to add a new edition of How I Met Your Mother with the bonus disc (like the Clerks exclusive you linked) is it likely to get accepted? I'd prefer to have it listed that way in my collection. For me having them separate makes no sense.
Old 06-09-07, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols
If I try to add a new edition of How I Met Your Mother with the bonus disc (like the Clerks exclusive you linked) is it likely to get accepted? I'd prefer to have it listed that way in my collection. For me having them separate makes no sense.
Yes, it will be accepted if you submit it right. Like I said, titles can (and should) be listed both ways, together and separately.
Old 06-09-07, 01:41 PM

Yes, it will be accepted. The UPC won't go through so you will have to tick the no UPC box and leave a note at the end. Also leave a note about why you are adding it and maybe evemn a link to this page of this thread
Old 06-09-07, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking
Just got going on DVDSpot. It's good, takes some time to get use too.
Looks like I'm one of many who migrated to DVDSpot. It took me a day to get used to but I love it. I love the stat-tracking it does for your collection (top directors in your collection, MSRP of your collection, etc.).

Also, what I hated about DVD Aficionado was it took forever for them to update things like cover art. I added the Labyrinth AE coming out in August to my wishlist on DVDSpot and there was no cover art for it. I found it on Amazon and contributed that to the listing -- it was approved by an editor literally seconds later. Awesome stuff. I also like sorting owned/wishlist titles by letter as well.
Old 06-09-07, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Looks like I'm one of many who migrated to DVDSpot. It took me a day to get used to but I love it. I love the stat-tracking it does for your collection (top directors in your collection, MSRP of your collection, etc.).

Also, what I hated about DVD Aficionado was it took forever for them to update things like cover art. I added the Labyrinth AE coming out in August to my wishlist on DVDSpot and there was no cover art for it. I found it on Amazon and contributed that to the listing -- it was approved by an editor literally seconds later. Awesome stuff. I also like sorting owned/wishlist titles by letter as well.
Glad you're enjoying the site. We work very hard at making sure submissions are dealt with in a timely fashion. Amazon pictures can be crappy as they always have the white borders, so they usually get updated again when someone decides to submit it
Old 06-09-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad you're enjoying the site. We work very hard at making sure submissions are dealt with in a timely fashion. Amazon pictures can be crappy as they always have the white borders, so they usually get updated again when someone decides to submit it
Now that I think of it, the picture I pulled for that one was from DVD Times.
Old 06-09-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can honestly say that I cannot remember a site taking such a huge step backwards as this upgrade has done with DVDafficionado.
Old 06-10-07, 11:01 AM

Question about DVDSpot -- is it possible to change the default sort order for titles? I'd prefer my Criterions to be sorted via Spine number, not alphabetically. Doable?
Old 06-10-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Hmm, glad I lost my password (I sent for a password reminder/recovery, it never came) and eventually tried (and bought) DVDP3.0. I went over to 2.0, signed up just to see what it was like... Losing that password was a blessing in disguise
Old 06-10-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by movieking
I can honestly say that I cannot remember a site taking such a huge step backwards as this upgrade has done with DVDafficionado.
Yeah, I'd love to see a DVDAF rep post up a response here - as it seems the press is out. ..and not looking to favorable. Too bad they're probably hiding behind their film-talk cover. I registered about 3 weeks ago at film-talk and for some reason I have not been able to reply to any thread, nevermind begin a new one. After multiple emails sent over to resolve this - still, nothing. Their lack of support all around is pitiful.

Needless to say, after having spent more time than I care to admit uploading my collection to their site just to see all of this transpire, they just lost a supporting member.

Looks like I'll be finding a new home over at DVDSpot after all. It's going to take a lot of time submitting new titles that I already know to be non-existant, but hopefully it will be worth it in the long run ..... ((crossing fingers))
Old 06-10-07, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by jpfisher
Question about DVDSpot -- is it possible to change the default sort order for titles? I'd prefer my Criterions to be sorted via Spine number, not alphabetically. Doable?
In a word. No. Sorry
Old 06-10-07, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can change the default sort order based on title, year, genre, your rating, and purchase date and advanced search options (not selectable as permanent) by studio, regions, sub-genres, MPAA rating, special features, video format, boxsets but nothing that would automatically sort based on Criterion spine number.

The best you could do would be to use a filter for all your Criterions but that still wouldn't recognize to sort them on anything other than the aforementioned options.
Old 06-10-07, 06:19 PM

In a word. No. Sorry
A dealbreaker for me, unfortunately - I liked the other aspects of the site. I ended up buying a license for DVDpedia. It exports to HTML and I can host that on my web space. It's a pain to move everything over (1100+ titles), but I'm just so unhappy with DVDAf at this point that this looks like my best option.
Old 06-10-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm currently transferring my collection from DVDAF to DVDSpot, although I may be wasting my time here because I paid for DVDProfiler back in 2003. Unless I'm wrong (or it has been added semi-recently) the fact that I can't add to my collection from a location other than my home computer is why I don't use DVDProfiler any more.
Old 06-10-07, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts
I don't mind the "new" DVD Aficionado 2.0 version of the website but I'm still in the process of transferring my collection to DVD Spot.

I'm hoping that DVD Aficionado 2.0 is able to restore the folders view that I set up in 1.0
Old 06-10-07, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 310 Posts
Thanks to everyone who recommended DVD Spot.

I finally finished editing all the "purchased on" dates on my newly migrating collection. Now my collection looks/displays exactly how I wanted it to.
Old 06-10-07, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mikael79
I'm currently transferring my collection from DVDAF to DVDSpot, although I may be wasting my time here because I paid for DVDProfiler back in 2003. Unless I'm wrong (or it has been added semi-recently) the fact that I can't add to my collection from a location other than my home computer is why I don't use DVDProfiler any more.
If you have DVDProfiler installed on another machine, then you can download your library to that machine, add in new purchases, and then upload to your online collection, then redownload at home. It's not a hassle at all, after you do the initial download of your collection (depends on how big your library is).
Old 06-10-07, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

for those interested, themain page like in dvdaf v1 is back in dvdafv2.
Old 06-11-07, 09:00 AM

Where do I go to change my folder system with the new dvdaf? I cannot seem to find this function at all.
Old 06-11-07, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

afaik, still to be coded along with the "quick import" function.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.