Pathfinder - July 31

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Pathfinder - July 31

Old 05-21-07, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pathfinder - July 31

Further Details:
Fox Home Entertainment has officially announced rated (99 minutes) and unrated (106 minutes) editions of Pathfinder which stars Karl Urban. This Marcus Nispel directed action-adventure will be available to own from the 31st July, and should retail at $29.98 for either release. Each will carry a 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 Surround tracks. The only extra material on the rated edition will be an audio commentary by director Marcus Nispel, and eight deleted scenes with optional director commentary. The unrated edition will include that along with a five-part behind-the-scenes featurette (The Beginning, The Design, The Build, The Shoot, and The Stunts), a We Shoot Now! Marcus Nispel on the set of Pathfinder featurette, a Clancy Brown: Cult Hero featurette, and theatrical trailers. We've attached the official artwork for both the rated and unrated editions below:
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/pathfinder.html
Old 05-21-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This one sounded good when it was announced, but after the release delays and not so good reviews, I'll stick with a rental. I enjoyed Nispel's remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I hope Karl Urban starts picking some better scripts soon. He was solid in the LOTR films and very good in Bourne Supremacy, but hasn't followed those up with strong roles.
Old 05-21-07, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^What Mr. Cinema said.
Old 05-22-07, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I initially thought what Mr. Cinema said, but seeing it, um, it's bad and not to threadcrap.
Old 05-22-07, 03:17 AM

I know we're not discussing the film itself here, but I'd still strongly recommend to anyone to rent it first.
Old 05-22-07, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I'll give it a rental at least.
Old 05-22-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I have the graphic novel and enjoy it very much. I felt that the movie was under-promoted and deserved better. It seemed to be in-and-out of the theatres in record time.

I will likely buy the 2-discer on release day.
Old 05-22-07, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I have the graphic novel and enjoy it very much. I felt that the movie was under-promoted and deserved better. It seemed to be in-and-out of the theatres in record time.

I will likely buy the 2-discer on release day.
Here in Russia it was released in theaters half a year earlier than in the US, and American premiere was postponed couple of times. This tells me distributors knew Pathfinder had turned out to be a disaster and they already couldn't do anything about it. Hence lack of promotion and such a limited theater-run term. After I had seen the trailer I've been waiting for this film for so long and ultimately was very disappointed.
Old 05-22-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just didnt like the ending. The movie was good for what it was though. Thats a great DVD package however and I cant wait to pick it up. Itll probably be alot on release day but I should find it cheap used pretty quick.
Old 05-22-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know nothing about this movie but like Karl Urban. Are there at least cool action sequences or anything redeeming at all about it? I'd be tempted to get it if so.
Old 05-22-07, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
I know nothing about this movie but like Karl Urban. Are there at least cool action sequences or anything redeeming at all about it? I'd be tempted to get it if so.
I have not seen this film, but if it stays true to the graphic novel, it should be action packed, and visually stunning.

IMHO, most films derrived from graphic novels over the last few years have done a fine job of preserving the illustrator's vision, and I expect nothing less here.
Old 05-22-07, 04:59 PM

Spoiler:

There are no "big" action sequences, like LOTR. Its mostly one-on-one fighting. Though there was one cool scene where the natives fall into and get killed in one of their own booby traps.
Old 05-23-07, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Looked interesting. Worth a rental at least.
Old 07-31-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did anyone else pick this up today? I snagged the unrated version with slipcase.

Borders never heard of the unrated version (no surprise, they're clueless) and Best Buy had only two left at 4:30.
Old 07-31-07, 05:48 PM

Sold out at both Best Buys in my area. Apparently they did not expect it to sell so they only had a few 2 disc sets in stock.
Old 07-31-07, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Robert
Sold out at both Best Buys in my area. Apparently they did not expect it to sell so they only had a few 2 disc sets in stock.
I thought there was a 2 disc version also, but there's just single discs versions of the rated, and unrated cuts.
Old 07-31-07, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I thought there was a 2 disc version also, but there's just single discs versions of the rated, and unrated cuts.
The weight of it felt like a 2 disc set but after checking Amazon, I think there is a just a single disc unrated with slipcover and widescreen rated with no slipcover.
Old 07-31-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Robert
The weight of it felt like a 2 disc set but after checking Amazon, I think there is a just a single disc unrated with slipcover and widescreen rated with no slipcover.
Correct. The slipcover is the only (material) difference. Also, no insert, just an advert for some horror flix.
Old 08-01-07, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I suspect Walmart will sell a ton of these, as they had a full cardboard display with both rated and unrated versions here in Bend.