Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Criterion in August

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-07, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"House of Games" is, far and away, also my favorite Mamet film. But I'm not a huge Mamet fan.

"The Milky Way" is one of my favorite Bunuel's, up there with "El", "Viridiana", "Belle de jour", and probably 10 more!

"Cria Cuervos..." I haven't seen in years, but this is one that I'm particularly excited about. I think many folks will draw the obvious parallels and connections with "The Spirit of the Beehive", but I'd also highly recommend this film to fans of "Pan's Labyrinth".

I'll be getting all of these with the possible exception of "House of Games".

The obligatory criticism: still no re-release of "Andrei Rublev"???
Old 05-16-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EEz28
I think its unlikely they would keep a hole open for a few months
It has happened before where they set the number pre-release, then get some new element or some problem which delays the release, but they don't re-assign the number. For some reason, I think this might have even happened with release #1.
Old 05-16-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rhpsozzy
How come Criterion always releases movies that I've never heard of?
Maybe the more important question you should ask yourself is, how come you've never heard of the movies that Criterion always releases?
Old 05-16-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
It has happened before where they set the number pre-release, then get some new element or some problem which delays the release, but they don't re-assign the number. For some reason, I think this might have even happened with release #1.
Yeah, "Grand Illusion" was all set to go and was to be the debut DVD in the collection in March of 1998... and then a better element was found in Europe. Criterion scrapped the existing "Grand Illusion" release, and didn't ultimately release it until September of 1999.
Old 05-16-07, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Why are Bunuel's movies one of the few Criterions that don't seem to merit a commentary track? His movies have more things to discuss than most others.
Old 05-16-07, 01:59 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Why are Bunuel's movies one of the few Criterions that don't seem to merit a commentary track? His movies have more things to discuss than most others.
I agree 100%. I've seen "The Milky Way" before and while I enjoyed it and got some laughs, I knew there was a LOT I wasn't picking up on mainly because my theology isn't the best. I'm no moron in the subject but I suppose you have to be pretty well versed to pick up on everything going on in this movie. That's why I'm upset with Criterion not including an audio commentary for the film. If there is ONE film that I felt warranted a commentary, it would be this one.

So for now, it will be just a rental, hopefully the special features highlight on the symbolism in the film and it's not just a feature praising how much of a genius Bunuel was.
Old 05-16-07, 02:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
wasn't there a non-region 1 release of 'Exterminating Angel' that had a commentary track?
Old 05-16-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
I have the R2 of Extreminating Angel (the UK one, which is the only version with English subs), and it has no commentary - but that's not surprising. What's surprising is Criterion not being able to get someone to do a good Bunuel commentary.
Old 05-16-07, 02:43 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I have the R2 of Extreminating Angel (the UK one, which is the only version with English subs), and it has no commentary - but that's not surprising. What's surprising is Criterion not being able to get someone to do a good Bunuel commentary.
I thought I read someone from the magazine Rue Morgue was going to do a commentary track?
Old 05-16-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All signs strongly point to Breathless being spine #400. They might have originally aimed for an August release and then had to delay for a bit. Or maybe it will still be August and just isn't up on their site yet.
Old 05-16-07, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MoviePage
Maybe the more important question you should ask yourself is, how come you've never heard of the movies that Criterion always releases?
Maybe because they aren't that good?
Old 05-16-07, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
interesting titles, not earth shattering IMO.

Come on Criterion: more Pasolini, some Greenaway titles including the 'Tulse Luper Trilogy', Ken Loach's 'My Name is Joe', Bille August's 6-hour miniseries cut of 'The Best Intentions' .... just a thought (I'm thinking out loud)
Word up.
Old 05-16-07, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Or maybe it's because you don't have an open mind to films outside of the mainstream?... ya know, since you've already judged films that you haven't seen (let alone heard of).
Old 05-16-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why would you even bother to read a Criterion thread when none of their releases would ever interest someone whose taste is so commercial? I'm sure you never heard of any of their titles (Seven Samurai, Rebecca, Spellbound, Slackers, Life Aquatic, etc.).
Old 05-18-07, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mosskeeto
Why would you even bother to read a Criterion thread when none of their releases would ever interest someone whose taste is so commercial? I'm sure you never heard of any of their titles (Seven Samurai, Rebecca, Spellbound, Slackers, Life Aquatic, etc.).

Yes I've heard of all of them, but have yet to see any of them. I'm only interested in seeng Rebecca and Spellbound.

Oh yeah I take it back, I do have one Criterion DVD: Chasing Amy. I didn't even realize it was Criterion until I looked through my collection today.

What wrong with mainstream movies?
Old 05-18-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nothing is "wrong" with mainstream movies - but I certainly wouldn't want to limit myself to only mainstream movies.
Old 05-18-07, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And, fortunately, neither does Criterion.

Which begs the question of why the need to respond to every philistine who wanders into a Criterion thread wearing his ignorance and incuriousness like badges of honor?

Better simply to let it pass and follow the sage advice of Mr. T.
Old 05-18-07, 03:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy

Better simply to let it pass and follow the sage advice of Mr. T.

I pity the fool who trashes Criterion!
Old 05-18-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
And, fortunately, neither does Criterion.

Which begs the question of why the need to respond to every philistine who wanders into a Criterion thread wearing his ignorance and incuriousness like badges of honor?
HAHA... philistine. Someone's been watching The Squid and the Whale.

In a similar fashion, what I find hilarious is when someone pops up and complains that Criterion keeps releasing movies they've never heard of instead of popular Hollywood movies. It's like they're unhappy with the amount of Hollywood movies that make it to DVD (most of which will have nice Special Editions), while foreign films rarely get released and when they do they're usually lackluster DVDs.
Old 05-18-07, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

never heard of house of games, but it sounds pretty interesting.
Old 05-19-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

House of Games has some great artwork, but isn't essential for me. I'd like to see a nice version of Mamet's The Spanish Prisoner, but don't think that they'd be able to get the rights to it. If I remember correctly, it's owned by Sony/Columbia Pictures, right?

I have no beef with Criterion other than their high MSRPs for barebones releases. They do some quality work.

cheers,

-the Jesus