Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Chips on DVDs Could Prevent Theft

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-07, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 662 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I still think the idea is that the actual item scanner, the thing scanning the barcode, is what will deactivate the device. Therefore it will be impossible for you to buy the DVD without deactivating the device.
In theory, the chip deactivator can be built right into the scanning device. In practice, this would require participating stores to invest in all new scanners, which many may shy from. If you look at the current magnetic anti-theft devices, some are deactivated via the scanner, while some stores with older or hand-held scanners have a separate magnetic pad they run the items over. Either way, they don't work 100%.

I worked at a retail store when the chain decided to stop using those oversized anti-theft cases for enclosing CDs. The reasoning at the time was that while the cases did cut down on theft, the added hassle and cost in putting all the CDs into the cases and taking them out, as well as handling the empties and the case keys, plus the added shelf space they used, meant that the using the devices was more costly than the theft they were preventing. It's my guess that this new anti-theft system will be more costly and more of a hassle than it's ultimately worth.

Originally Posted by UAIOE
My realistic side believes that it will be some overly convoluted scheme that will make things more difficult for honest buyers but will not affect pirates in any way.
It won't affect pirates at all, since it's not an anti-piracy device; it's an anti-theft device.
Old 05-14-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Then I was 100% correct in my statement!

But I meant to say thieves.
Old 05-14-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This will affect pirates.Noone will be able to hijack ships full of dvd's anymore
Old 05-14-07, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Worst idea ever? Discuss.
The worst idea (theft prevention wise) was putting DVDs in glass cases - geez, you'd think they were gold or something. Kmart and a few others used to do this years ago. So, if you wanted look through the DVDs you had to try and find someone that would open the case.

Speaking of CHiP's. They must be running out of people to give stars to on the Hollywood Walk Of Fame.

Old 05-14-07, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it does get implemented what'll then happen is that within a couple of weeks (at most) some young free minded spirit overseas (i.e. hacker) will crack the code that activates the chip and post it somewhere on the web and within seconds of that some fleabayers will be selling copies of it (or just the link to the site) to the public.
It'll all just be another expensive lesson in marketing to the people who thought they had the next big thing. And I'm not taking sides here, just be aware that those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.
Old 05-15-07, 04:57 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They'll spend millions on this only to have someone discover a way to circumvent the technology with a laser pointer.
Old 05-16-07, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
Mail-order and internet retailers would likely be sent discs without the chips, so that may not be a problem.
Thus shoving the extra costs onto the manufacturer and studio, who have to bear the costs of producing two runs of discs instead of one, plus all the logistical problems of ensuring they go into the right packaging (two lots of that too, so it;s easy to tell which are for retail stores, and which for mail order), and ensuring that mail order forms aren't sent a box of retail stock and vice-versa. Or if they are, then you'll get a bunch of irate mail-order customers with unplabale discs...

It would also be the end of the two sides of the business picking up excess stock from each other - something which Amazon do I believe.

At least I think that would be the case as the device appears to be made intimately part of the disc itself, I assume during it's manufacture.

My main objection remains, though, to something that adds another thing that can potentially render discs unplayable.