Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will we ever see a complete Star Wars Boxset?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-07, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want a nice boxset with the original trilogy(remastered/anamorphic original movies and special editions). 1 or 2 discs of Special Features. Hopefully they won't include the Prequel Trilogy with the Original Trilogy because I really don't want to repurchase those.
Old 05-05-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
uh, if they don't include the Prequel trilogy, then it's not really a complete boxed set, is it?
Old 05-05-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes. the 12 DVD Deluxe Darth Vader Head Limited Edition Box Set will be released in September. I think.
Old 05-05-07, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wannabe
Yes. the 12 DVD Deluxe Darth Vader Head Limited Edition Box Set will be released in September. I think.
Does it come with a collectible action figure?
Old 05-05-07, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what about inserts, dammit!!!!?!?!??!?!?
Old 05-06-07, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So when you open the box the DVDs are in ruins and mostly machines?
Old 05-06-07, 02:15 AM

No DTS, no sale.
Old 05-06-07, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
uh, if they don't include the Prequel trilogy, then it's not really a complete boxed set, is it?
And don't forget the Holiday Special, the Clone Wars cartoons, the Ewoks movies, and the animated Ewoks and Droids cartoons. (seriously....if they put out a box set, I want it all baby!)

Especially the Holiday Special. I know it's B-movie bad (I had to bust a gut when I watched a bit of it this afternoon and they didn't film new scenes with Vader...they just overdubbed footage from the first movie. Vader is walking with one of his Imperial guards and watching the guard talk to the dubbed track is like watching an old Godzilla movie...it really puts Star Wars in a new realm) but it's a part of Star Wars history and needs to be preserved.

That and the special hosted by R2 and C3PO on the making of Star Wars.
Old 05-06-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Star Wars Don't Get Cocky Franchise Collection.
Old 05-06-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07

That and the special hosted by R2 and C3PO on the making of Star Wars.

That's what I want to see. There are vintage "making of" shows for all three movies. They were released on laserdisc in Japan, and fetch big bucks on ebay. Those definitely need to be included.
Old 05-06-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes a whopping 30 disc set titled "The Complete Saga Edition." It will be housed in a huge tin shaped like R2-D2. It will include: Original anamorphic trilogy as god intended it; OT Special Edition; Prequels SE; an incredible nine DVDs full of extras including various television specials including the Holiday Special and fan movies such as T.R.O.O.P.S and George Lucas in Love; Clone Wars Vol. 1 & 2; The Ewok Adventure, Ewoks, and Droids; and for the first time ever all six movies (SE) in HD-DVD, with everything in DTS! It will retail for $199.99 and I'll buy two.

Last edited by madcougar; 05-06-07 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-06-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm not really surprised, just really disappointed in all of you. Not a serious reply yet.

We're not supposed to be getting one... yet. When Lucas released the 'special editions' that came with the non-anamorphic versions of the true original trilogy, they didn't sell that well. Not as well as anticipated anyways. Why should they have? They were pretty much the same thing people already purchased in that boxed set the year before. But because the fans that have pretty much plunked money into everything Mr. Lucas spawned from the franchise, DIDN'T spend that much on these crappy double-dips, they decided to hold off on the huge boxed set.

I don't expect a surprise announcement this year for the what was once anticipated, 30 year anniversary boxed set edition. Next year we'll probably get Indiana Jones all done up in a new boxed set for Christmas when the new Indy film hits DVD, and the year after they'll probably decide to go back and bleed Star Wars again at that time.
Old 05-06-07, 04:53 PM

What about the science of Star Wars specials that aired on the discovery channel with host C-3PO himself....I want those in a complete boxset....
Old 05-06-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I don't expect a surprise announcement this year for the what was once anticipated, 30 year anniversary boxed set edition.
Was the anticipation based on anything more substantial than wishful thinking?
Old 05-06-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When Lucas released the 'special editions' that came with the non-anamorphic versions of the true original trilogy, they didn't sell that well ... (so) they decided to hold off on the huge boxed set.
Source?
Old 05-06-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not really surprised, just really disappointed in all of you. Not a serious reply yet.
What did you expect? Seriously???? Did you assume we had inside information the rest of the world did not? All we can do is speculate and posts our wishes for an ultimate set.

When Lucas released the 'special editions' that came with the non-anamorphic versions of the true original trilogy, they didn't sell that well. Not as well as anticipated anyways. Why should they have? They were pretty much the same versions of the laserdiscs people already burned onto DVD years before.
Fixed. The only reason I picked them up is because I did not have the laserdiscs or the burned DVDs from them.

Last edited by calhoun07; 05-06-07 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-06-07, 06:12 PM
Banned

Was the anticipation based on anything more substantial than wishful thinking?
It's pretty much a given. There's never been an official statement as in "there's a box set that has X on it and comes out on Y" but credible sources within LucasFilm have said that an elaborate box set has been in the works for a long time and the 30th Anniversary is a pretty good opportunity to release it.

Also, LucasFilm ALWAYS has some sort of high-profile holiday release:

2001: The Phantom Menace
2002: Attack of the Clones
2003: Indiana Jones box set
2004: OT box set
2005: Revenge of the Sith
2006: OT individual releases with theatrical versions

2008 will undoubtedly bring the fourth "Indiana Jones" film as their high-profile holiday release. That leaves 2007 unaccounted for and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the 30th Anniversary of "Star Wars" will be commemorated with some sort of elaborate box set.

This is purely speculative on my part but here's my prediction:

May 25th (the actual anniversary) is less than 3 weeks away which is obviously too soon to have an as-yet-unannounced release and as I mentioned above, LucasFilm likes to do their big stuff during the holiday season. I'm betting that on May 25th LucasFilm will officially announce a Star Wars box set for a November release. That's approximately 6 months in advance which is roughly the same advance as the last announcement for the individual original releases.

Edit: I just realized the comment I was replying to was in response to someone who doubted that there would be a 30th Anniversary box set this year. I for one think it's ridiculous to suggest that 2007 is the first year LucasFilm is gonna sit out the holiday season when it's the 30th anniversary of it's definitive franchise.

Last edited by GuruTwo; 05-06-07 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-06-07, 07:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 05-06-07, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by josepotato
Source, other than Photobucket? (I'm guessing this is from a cool country, like Japan)

And that looks like a WHOLE lot more than 12 DVDs
Old 05-06-07, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
Source, other than Photobucket? (I'm guessing this is from a cool country, like Japan)

And that looks like a WHOLE lot more than 12 DVDs
That's a photo of the Japanese Godzilla collectible package, with a Darth Vader head photoshopped in. You can see the seems around the Vader helmet, and can clearly make out Godzilla and Japanese text on the printed material below.

Here's the original:

I thought it was pretty funny, personally.
Old 05-06-07, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't think it's going to happen until they're ready to release it in HD (on whatever format; more likely BD), and that probably won't be this year.
Old 05-06-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not really surprised, just really disappointed in all of you.
Boo-fucking-hoo. It was a stupid question to begin with: The OP wants a "complete" box set that omits the movies he doesn't like. How can that lead to a serious discussion?
Old 05-06-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I thought it was pretty funny, personally.
Which it is, sir, once you see the original source. I never knew about that Godzilla set.

And now I feel like the fool because if you look closer at the image, you can see Godzilla in the inside flap of the DVD cover and on the cover of one of the comics/books.
Old 05-06-07, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sorry mother.
Old 05-06-07, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Meh, I have one small compaint. I'd like to have the original trilogy in its unaltered state remastered and cleaned up for its loyal fans from way back when. Then again, who wouldn't, right? Do you realize how much money they'd make IF they decided to do this? MONEY???

Honestly, I never saw any of the original trilogy in its original, raw glory. That's something every human being should see, right?

EDIT: Couldn't help myself.

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 05-07-07 at 07:54 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.