Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about Stargate Ultimate Edition DVD...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am in the process of weeding out non-anamorphic DVD's from my collection and replacing them, but I am a bit confused about the Ultimate Stargate DVD.

Aparently there is a 2 disc DVD set that was discontinued and replaced with a 1 disc set, which is what retailers are currently offering. I'd like to get the 2 disc OOP set from ebay, but my question is is how can I tell the difference?

There seem to be three versions. On ebay, some say "Director's Cut" and others say "Extended Cut." The ones I see currently offered on reatailers like Amazon have no writing at all.

DVD Compare says the 2 disc set says "Director's Cut" at the bottom, but many of the sets on ebay labeled as being a 2 disc do not say this.

Does anyone own this DVD who could clear up my confusion?
Old 05-02-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2 disc copy has Director's Cut written on the bottom. It also has a slipcover.
Old 05-02-07, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, that complicates it even further then. None of the ebay auctions I've seen mention slipcovers at all.

Thanks for looking though. I guess I'll just take the plunge on one that says "Director's Cut" since you've confirmed what was written on DVD Compare. I suppose I'll live if I don't get a slipcover.
Old 05-02-07, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same with mine.

I remember when I was looking for this one I had the same confusion...so many Ultimate Editions, so many names (Director's Cut, Extended Cut ,etc.) and versions within those labels too!!!

But what I finally discovered was that the one I wanted appeared to have one EXTRA that the others, no matter how they were labeled, even if they had the same one "Director's Cut."

IIRC it was the Making of Stargate Featurette

that determined which was the correct one. That is what I looked for and finally found, brand new, a couple years ago, after passing on many.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 05-03-07, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ultimate Edition with Director's Cut at the bottom for me. There's a slipcover that just replicates the coverart, but it has that schnazzy, shiny embossed gleam to it. Not a huge deal if you can't locate one, but it shouldn't be too hard. These float around Wally World for $7.50.