Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Does it bug you when a set isn't complete?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-07, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am one of those people who will go crazy if I don't have an entire trilogy or set of DVDs. Especially TV shows, once I start with the first season of a show I won't buy another show until I have the complete set of the first show. If there is a movie that a has sequels, I'd have to get those too even if I didn't care for them. It just bugs me if I don't have a complete set. Does anyone else feel this way or am I just crazy?
Old 04-05-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have enough expendable income to blow it on movies I don't like. Having a modicum of self-control helps as well.
Old 04-05-07, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For the most part, I have to have a complete collection. So far this excludes Halloween 3, In Living Color seasons 4 & 5, and anything after the first season of Ren & Stimpy.
Old 04-05-07, 11:07 PM

yeah I can see that, but lke CF above I am a budget shopper and only buy what I really want. If I don't like a movie in a series or show I won't bother as there are better ways to spend my money. But I will admit that I would consider buying something to complete a series if the price was cheap enough, even if I didn't particular like it.
Old 04-05-07, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes it does. I have all 3 Re-Animator movies and I have yet to watch 2 or 3, but I bought them to complete the series.

I am even going to buy Halloween III to complete the collection, even though I HATE part 3.
Old 04-05-07, 11:12 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I kinda like that, one of the worst sets to collect is married with Children. It takes too long to release any seasons.
Old 04-05-07, 11:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I hate that Buena Vista has decided to stop releasing Gargoyles and Boy Meets World sets. Because of that I carry incomplete sets of both series.
Old 04-05-07, 11:48 PM

I thought the thread was about how companies stop releases some TV shows on DVD. For Example Gargoyles, Night Court, Jamie Foxx, Murphy Brown, Boy Meets World...etc. Nope, I can't control myself when I start with a season set or a movie that has a huge franchise. Well at least I don't own all the Friday the 13th movies yet but I do own the first and last one (Jason X).
It all started when I got The Simpsons...I keep going with Futurama, Family Guy and American Dad. I guess it's better to have the whole series then watching it on TV.
When will Season 5 of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air coming out or did WB stop releasing season sets of that show.
Just a heads up but Fox stop releasing season sets for King of the Hill since they had low sales.

Last edited by MickeyMousePal; 04-05-07 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-06-07, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm like that in a way. I can overlook certain shows that i end up buying on a whim or at some really cheap price, if I really want too. For the most part, unless the company discontinues a dvd series. I will more then likely complete the collection. I don't buy dvd's that I don't have at least a mild interest in.
Old 04-06-07, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm really bad with that. I've even been contemplating buying the newer Return of the Living Dead movies even though I've heard horrible things about them...
Old 04-06-07, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As much of a completist as I am, my wallet often does the talking and then I am forced to be bothered by not owning everything! My OCD and my DVD habits do not mix well!
Old 04-06-07, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

With movies I'm not like that, unless their is a complete box or something, then I'll typically buy the box even if their is a sequel of two I don't care for.

But with TV shows, buying the first season is a comittment for me, and I will continue till the end. With movies their is a beginning, middle, and an End... the same goes with TV shows, but to have the complete story you need multiples sets, and it just wouldn't feel right to not have one or two years of a story...
Old 04-06-07, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Only on some sets. For instance, I'm happy that I have Alien Quadrilogy but I'm also happy that I only have The Exorcist, Exorcist 3 and Dominion without having Exorcist: The Beginning and Exorcist 2.
Old 04-06-07, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No. In fact, I even sell some movies from sets if I do not plan on watching them again (Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Rocky V, From Dusk Till Dawn 2). I would rather use the money I get to buy more things that I like as opposed to keeping something on my shelf just to have the complete set.
Old 04-06-07, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
No. Just because a once-good idea was run into the ground doesn't mean that I have to buy every iteration of it.
Old 04-06-07, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I have only Highlander: (The Immortal Edition) (1986) from that series. No iteration of any other Highlander movie or TV series will darken my shelves.
Old 04-06-07, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I'd have to get those too even if I didn't care for them. It just bugs me if I don't have a complete set. Does anyone else feel this way or am I just crazy?
I think you know the answer you just don't want to admit it.
Old 04-06-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Doesn't both me at all. With series, I'll get the parts that I actually like and want to watch. That's why I only own T2, Temple of Doom, Silence of the Lambs, the first Halloween and Predator movies, etc.

I'm more annoyed with packaging design changes throughout a series of directly connected movies, or more frequently, TV shows. Uniformity, people!
Old 04-06-07, 08:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to be this way w/ CDs and I would try to buy everything a band did... then I realized I was buying a lot of crap in some cases so fortunately I learned my leasson early

So for movies I don't really feel the need; for example I have Grimlins 2 but not Grimlins since I didn't really like the first one, the only reason I have Indy: Temple of Doom/Alien 4 is because they came in the sets otherwise I wouldn't have either.

For TV shows it's a little different... it bugs me more when the show is left hanging, whether that be from lack of people releasing sets (ie Jeremiah) or the show just not being completed (ie Space Above and Beyond). I own the first but I'm probably going to get rid of it since there's no indication the 2nd series is going to come out, but I don't really have an interest in owning the 2nd (unless I get it as a gift ).

Last edited by nemein; 04-06-07 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-06-07, 08:47 AM

Nope. I'm just the opposite. I only want the choicest of the good films in my DVD library, and get rid of the lesser films, regardless of their inclusion in sets or series. Examples: I bought the Alfred Hitchcock boxset because of cost-per-title, but got rid of "Wrong Man" because I don't much care for it. I bought the Indiana Jones set because I love "Raiders of the Lost Ark", but got rid of the other two films in the trilogy for the same reason.
Old 04-06-07, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Um. No. Just.. no.
Old 04-06-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Yes it does. I have all 3 Re-Animator movies and I have yet to watch 2 or 3, but I bought them to complete the series.
Bah, if you were a *real* completist, you would've imported the Region 2 Dutch version of 'Beyond Re-Animator' (the third one), because that's the only way to get the full uncut version [I suppose an uber-completist would buy both, for the commentary on the R1]. I did that *and* bought the OOP version of 'Bride' (but, luckily, it was before too many people realized it was OOP, so I got a good deal).

I'm a completist, but not for franchises and stuff (as a rule). At the same time, I can't criticize somebody for buying all the 'Halloween' movies when I myself buy all the Carpenter-directed movies I can. I own 'Ghosts of Mars', so I can't say anything about somebody who wants to own 'H20'.

Also, I confess that I think that 9-disc 'Alien' set is pretty cool, even though I'll never watch 'Ressurection' again. It was so cheap, I just look at it as a bonus disc. Same with the Ghostbusters sequel; I would've bought the first standalone for $10, so to get them both for that price... why not? [On the other hand, I would pay extra money to buy the 'Godfather' box without Part III.]

With TV shows, I generally wouldn't buy specific seasons; if I like a show, it's because I like the show and would buy every season (I don't really buy too many shows, though). The only exceptions I can think of in my collection are 'Saturday Night Live' (I have best of discs) and 'Faerie Tale Theater' (they sold individual episodes, so I bought the ones directed by Burton and Coppola, because, as I said above, I'm a director completist). I don't plan to rush out to buy any forthcoming seasons of 'The Simpsons', but, at the same time, I know I'll pick 'em up when they get a bit cheaper.

Still waiting for 'The Adventures of Pete and Pete' and 'Project: Greenlight' Seasons 3, too.

Last edited by ThatGuamGuy; 04-06-07 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-06-07, 10:22 AM

I'm fairly all right with having a set that's complete up to a point (I have Red Dwarf seasons 1-5 but not 6-8 yet), but it bugs me if there's a hole in the middle of an otherwise full set (i.e. Coupling seasons 1, 3-4).

Another low-level annoyance for me happens when thriftiness leads me to have a set split between region 1 and region 2 releases, and so the spine art doesn't match. I have a few sets like that, and unfortunately my printer is crap so I can't print out new ones.
Old 04-06-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm more upset with series I like that were started on DVD, but never completed by the studios. I frequently look at my incomplete GI Joe and Night Court sets and wish I could finish them.
Old 04-06-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm a total completist, but there are some times I have to draw the line. Since I'm a horror buff there are lots of lines. I'm done with Hellraiser. I'm done with Return of the Living Dead. I'm sure there are others but they (obviously) aren't worth remembering.

And what's with all the hate toward Halloween III? You people are nuts. Michael Myers does not equal a good film. And even if you don't require him, it's still a great creepy flick.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.