Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Christmas Evil question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-07, 06:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Christmas Evil question

I thought I knew this movie fairly well, but I'll be damned if I can spot the differences between the Troma theatrical cut and the director's cut from Synapse. Can anyone point out what was added or changed?
Old 04-05-07, 09:42 PM

Is is siad anywhere that there are differences, besides being uncut? I have both, maybe I should check the Troma disc out again. I remember on the Troma disc (which is worth having/ checking out for the extras) that the director wished he made the movie more understandable to general audiences, and made things more obvious by adding flashbacks and other things, I don't know, I thought the titles that indicated the time that the story takes place were new, I don't know. After seeing how pretty this movie is from the Synapse disc, it's like seeing a different movie, though I thought the crappy look on the Troma disc was pretty neat too, it's just so amazing now. Blah, blah, blah....

Here's something that's been bugging me, on the Synapse dvd, the commentary with John Waters (I haven't listened to the director only track yet), the director laughs oddly throughout in response to John, and then near the end of the movie, the director goes over the Waters commentary to announce that it's John that's laughing and to please forgive it due to his not seeing the movie in some time. It's really weird because John talks all throughout, and it's clearly the other guy who is laughing (seemed to me that he was upset with what John was saying). Also seemed like Waters didn't really like the movie (anymore?), his comments were pretty shallow.

The director also seems uncomfortable in both dvd releases, and has a hard time telling the truth about things. I don't know, good, possibly great movie. It's really honest and touching, I wish Christmas occured more often so I could watch it more.
Old 04-06-07, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was just the original title sequence that distinguished the "director's cut" from the non-director's cut? You Better Watch Out is a perfect title for this film.
Old 04-06-07, 02:10 PM

Christmas Evil is a brilliant title, but maybe not suitable for this one, ya know
Old 04-07-07, 09:16 PM

I asked the Synapse guys about it at a con last week and they said there was about 10 mins of stuff added or changed. Someone on another board that did a side by side comparison said the only difference was a 90 second scene is not in the Synapse version (Harry cutting himself while working the assembly line). I was hoping for some changes that made all the themes the director talks about to be more evident. It was nice to see the movie looking so good on the Synapse disc though.
Old 04-08-07, 11:05 PM

Good to know. On the Troma disc, on the director's commentary, he talks about the things he would changs, and I thought his ideas were awful, like adding voice-vers and flashbacks. I don't remember the specifics, but the film is fine as it is/was.

But what he said during the Waters commentary is so weird....