Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I was just pulled over to the Dark Side!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

I was just pulled over to the Dark Side!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-07, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
That's nice, but we're talking about Blood Diamond, which was shot with "scope" anamorphic lenses.
It's hard for Groucho to keep track of trivial matters like movie titles and such when dreamy Leo is on the screen.
Old 03-30-07, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain
Well, you sound like a Major Asshole!
Nice, good call.
Old 03-30-07, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,205 Likes on 2,069 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
It really bugs me that Blockbuster doesn't carry the FS version of "Cars". We have a standard TV and I know my 4-year olds would enjoy it more if it were FS. I've been holding off on buying it (waiting for Blu-Ray), but I may actually purchase it in FS.
I'm willing to bet that if they see that Dad (or Mom) likes it widescreen, they'll like it widescreen as well. Hell, if a parent can teach a kid racism, they can teach them to appreciate widescreen.

They're impressional minds, impress them...
Old 03-30-07, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, as said before, many directors film (animate) with an eye towards both formats, so I can't really tell my kids that the FS version doesn't represent the director's wishes.

And all they really care about is seeing McQueen as big as possible.
Old 03-30-07, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by drainout
Also, once I put Spaceballs in the wrong way, and couldn't figure out why the movie looked so messed up, it took me 30 minuted to realize it's on full. I felt dumb.
And that's why evil always prevails over good...because good is dumb.

I was just thinking the other day...what happened to all the wisescreen vs foolscreen posts that would appear about once a week in this forum when I first started lurking here a few years ago.

I was even going to check the forum rules to see if these topics were banned.
Old 03-30-07, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it's a movie I'm buying (i.e. care about) or a "serious" movie, I insist on only getting and seeing the widescreen (or true) version. If its some movie I don't really care about and will only watch if its a free rental (most modern comedies, like I watched "Date Movie" out of morbid curiosity) It doesn't bother me so much. I could give a damn what original "vision" the director of Scary Movie 4 had. Most of these movies I only pay half attention to, anyway.

Do I wish that full screen would go away (unless it was intended that way)? Yes, but I put up with it in certain cases.

BTW, in regards to Blood Diamond, I wouldn't watch it in full screen at all.
Old 03-30-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

tape black bars on the top and bottom of the screen and just pretend it was filmed extremely close up

Whats Full Screen? jk.
being that alot of tv on dvd sets are in full screen im used to it but i do still prefer widescreen, on movies & new tv shows.
imagine watching 1970's sitcoms in widescreen, with black bars on the top & bottom. that would look crazy!
we did get to see the 7th season of 'the golden girls' in widescreen, well not so much but there were tiny black bars on the top & bottom!
Old 03-31-07, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I'm willing to bet that if they see that Dad (or Mom) likes it widescreen, they'll like it widescreen as well. Hell, if a parent can teach a kid racism, they can teach them to appreciate widescreen.

They're impressional minds, impress them...
Seriously, I'm trying to teach my kids to be decent human beings and preparing them for life. Teaching them to appreciate widescreen is not even on the radar.
Old 03-31-07, 12:36 AM

The worst full screen story, was that I never bought the old dvd of the Sting, because I could only ever find Full screen, then when I realized it was filmed that way to match the 'old style' it was already out of print. Now the new dvd is out, were they turned it widescreen to match what people want. What's worse, turning widescreen intended movies full screen for a tv set, or turning full screen movies wide, to attract uneducated film buffs?
Old 03-31-07, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by speedyray
Agreed, I have actually done that before. Sometimes it is a little tough, for example my brother in law brought over Borat and it was FS and I tried to be polite and watch it with him and my wife and I just kept thinking how there was more to see that I was missing. I excused myself and went to bed s little ways into the movie (I had to go to work early the next morning so it was a real excuse, but I might have stayed up for a WS version). Imagine how I would have felt if it was a movie where it might actually matter. If someone offers to let me borrow a FS movie I just decline it though.

I don't think there would be that much of a difference between a FS and WS version of Borat. It all depends if you're watching it on a HDTV. If anything, that movie might have been shot open-matte, and then letterboxed for theatrical screening.
Old 03-31-07, 01:59 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That is why you fail
Old 03-31-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by drainout
The worst full screen story, was that I never bought the old dvd of the Sting, because I could only ever find Full screen, then when I realized it was filmed that way to match the 'old style' it was already out of print. Now the new dvd is out, were they turned it widescreen to match what people want. What's worse, turning widescreen intended movies full screen for a tv set, or turning full screen movies wide, to attract uneducated film buffs?
The Sting was released in 1973, long after the theatrical standard for "flat" photography motion pictures had shifted to 1.85:1. Even if George Roy Hill had wanted his movie projected in 4:3, there would have been few theatrical venues that could accomodate it. Aside from art theaters specifically equipped to project classic Academy Ratio movies, the majority of theaters in this country couldn't show a movie in 4:3 without matting if they wanted to.

These days, specialty 4:3 releases such as The Blair Witch Project, documentaries, or re-releases of classic movies have to be printed in windowbox format on the theatrical prints so that they can be projected on 1.85:1 screens with black bars on the sides. But that simply wasn't ever done back in 1973. Even revivals of classics like Gone With the Wind were cropped to 1.85:1 at that time.

Hill shot The Sting knowing it would be projected at 1.85:1. That is its OAR.
Old 03-31-07, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by shumway
I pray that with their new push to spread HDTV to the masses, Wal-Mart will stop pushing P&S/Full screen for all of the cheaper catalogue titles in their stores.
Doubtful my friend, real doubtful. Every time I go into my local Wal-Mart they're showing fool screen dvds on the widescreen HDTVs, which is a crime against humanity if you ask me. I tried to explain the the genius working there that widescreen HDTVs are designed pretty much with widescreen DVDs in mind but he looked at me like I was speaking Swahili.
Old 03-31-07, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a friend come over once with a full-screen Bruce Almighty. I had her executed.
Old 03-31-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had a friend come over with a full-screen copy of Scary Movie 3...and I watched it and wasn't an ass about it. OMGWTFBBQ!!!!!!
Old 04-01-07, 01:23 AM

Whenever I think of the Foolscreen/Widescreen debate, I look no further to the worst pan and scan debacle EVER....Annie! (Give me a little room on this one; it came out when I was 9, I was/am an only child and spent alot of time with my mother and grandmother. Also, the Annie soundtrack was the second album on cassette I owned, so I had the music memorized by heart).

Anywhoo....

You have a scene where Daddy Warbucks and Annie are in the swimming pool talking. The pan goes back and forth, landing on the character that ISNT talking, finally resting on the water in between them.....SO YOU CANT SEE EITHER ONE OF THEM!?!

Oh, yeah, I dont care if my DVD's are wide or full....just make sure they're in black and white (the kids ought to love that one!).
Old 04-01-07, 10:53 AM

Must we call it foolscreen though?
Old 04-02-07, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I rented Flushed Away a couple of days ago, and just like draino, couldn't figure out why it looked strange. I also had picked up the fullscreen version. The movie was still a good one, but I'm glad I didn't buy it that way.

Once widescreen tv's become cheaper and more popular, fullscreen dvd's will be phazed out.
Old 04-02-07, 08:21 AM
Banned

Well....I watched Blood Diamond FS this weekend, it was a great movie (not to own IMO) and I really did not notice it was full screen. It was just like watching a movie on cable tv or regular tv. I wanted to see Blood Diamond, a friend was nice enough to let me borrow it and I am glad I saw it!
Old 04-02-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildo1966
Well....I watched Blood Diamond FS this weekend, it was a great movie (not to own IMO) and I really did not notice it was full screen. It was just like watching a movie on cable tv or regular tv. I wanted to see Blood Diamond, a friend was nice enough to let me borrow it and I am glad I saw half of it!
Fixed.