Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Lord of the Rings

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lord of the Rings

I'm thinking of selling off both my theatrical releases and extended box sets and buying the most recent releases. Before I do that, is there any reason that I should not do that? I wouldn't mind having both theatrical and extended versions in one release as to make some space in my collection. Any thoughts?
Old 03-28-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Reasons I would never sell my theatricals:

-They have the original poster art for the films
-I don't plan to ever buy the new versions, and I still want the theatrical versions

Reasons I would never sell my EEs:

-Sweet ass packaging that looks awesome on my shelf with the bookends on either side
-TONS of features not seen on either of the other releases
-I paid a lot to get all three in their gift set forms (with the statues and bonus DVDs)
-Superb picture quality

I'm not sure how good the PQ is on the new editions, but I just can't imagine it's as good as the EEs considering how much information is crammed onto those single discs.
Old 03-28-07, 04:47 PM

Those "single discs" are actually flippers. From what I remember the video is the same as the EE but they dropped the DTS from the audio.
Old 03-28-07, 05:11 PM

hmm. You make some good points caiman. As for the new ones being flippers, they are. All the discs use seamless branching. Maybe I'll just hold onto my theatricals and EEs after all.
Old 03-29-07, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The new flippers drop the dts track, and all 12 commentary tracks.
Old 03-29-07, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I most definitely would not get rid of the theatrical and EE's for the new flipper editions.
Old 03-29-07, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I most definitely would not get rid of the theatrical and EE's for the new flipper editions.
Me neither, but in moments of weakness I have considered adding the flippers to my collection. Luckily, I've had the willpower to hold off.
Old 03-29-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts
MY problem is this: I've got the original Two Towers TE, the Original Return of the King TE, 4 disc Extended cuts of all three...

Now to complete my collection I need the Fellowship TE, should I buy the flipper or just the original TE? I'm leaning toward the original TE just so my collection stays uniform (I know it's a dumb way to collect, but it's just to finish off my LOTR collection) I think it would be silly to have just one of the new flipper editions in the set.
Old 03-29-07, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
I'd definitely go with the original TE for Fellowship. I have the TE's and EE's of all three, and it seems to be the best package so far. I would have added the recent releases just for the new extras, but all the reviews say the new doc's are non-anamorphic widescreen which is just unacceptable in this day and age. Methinks these would be a prime candidate for New Line's first venture into the world of HD if they every do so.
Old 03-30-07, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
The new editions were made for more casual fans who hadn't picked up the first releases. It was never intended to be a replacement for the previous versions, which are essentially 6 disc sets split into two releases each (a 2 disc with the theatrical cut and marketing extras like trailers and a 4 disc with the extended cuts and all the making of docs.).