From Dusk Till Dawn and Kill Bill Special Editions

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

From Dusk Till Dawn and Kill Bill Special Editions

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-07, 08:19 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I've been eagerly anticipating both of these -- glad to hear the good news!
Old 03-26-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I never picked up either of the Kill Bills, so I hope this set makes it worth the wait.
Old 03-26-07, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These will never come out.... Tarantino is all talk and no do.
Old 03-26-07, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts
He better do, i want the whole thing spliced together. Ive been waiting since the release of the dvds for the whole thing together, and maybe the Michael Ja White scene put back in.
Old 03-26-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As much as I love all 3 of the movies in question, Four Rooms is what really needs a better edition. That movie is so under-appreciated.
Old 03-26-07, 10:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GuruTwo
Robert Rodriguez also "announced" SE's of "The Faculty", "Roadracers" (which was actually officially announced then canceled) and a "Spy Kids" box set (presumably including an SE of the first film, including the never-released-on-DVD "Special Edition" of the film itself from the theatrical re-release) while doing "Sin City" press and they haven't materialized yet.

So don't hold your breath.
finally!!!! frickin' awesome
Old 03-26-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by DarthMarino
As much as I love all 3 of the movies in question, Four Rooms is what really needs a better edition. That movie is so under-appreciated.
I thought it was pretty weak. The Antonio Banderas storyline was great, but the rest were pretty "meh."
Old 03-26-07, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I don't understand all the fuss about the long-awaited Kill Bill box set. Just buy the Japan box, it's got all you need: both movies, uncut, with the House of Blue Leaves scene in color, DTS, it's NTSC, (unlike the UK Boxset the other poster is looking at), and it comes in a nicely designed, sturdy slipcase: Kill Bill 1 & 2
If this Kill Bill: SE does not pan out then I will be getting this set for sure.
Old 03-26-07, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I thought it was pretty weak. The Antonio Banderas storyline was great, but the rest were pretty "meh."
I thought Tim Roth was outstanding in Four Rooms, he made the first two parts enjoyable with just his mannerisms and facial expressions alone.
Old 03-26-07, 12:37 PM

now if Rodriguez can unearth an unrated uncut version of 'Desperado' that would be cool as shit.
Old 03-26-07, 12:40 PM

Rodriguez also said there will be a Grind House SE that shows the films without the digital dirt and print aging. If they do force them to edit it to avoid the NC-17, that would make three releases of GH.
Old 03-26-07, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Geist
Rodriguez also said there will be a Grind House SE that shows the films without the digital dirt and print aging. If they do force them to edit it to avoid the NC-17, that would make three releases of GH.
it was stated in the latest Entertainment Weekly the two main segments went pretty much unscathed - the minimalist trims, the 'Nazi trailer' suffered the most extreme cut.
Old 03-26-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rhcp1214
I read on a JOBLO forum...
So is this actually something on the record from QT, or "a friend of a friend that knows this guy who heard something" kind of thing?
Old 03-26-07, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I'll believe when I see it. I don't know why it has happened yet. As QT and Rodriquez put a lot of love into their releases.
Oh? I didn't see a lot of love put into the Kill bill vol1 or vol 2 releases.
Old 03-26-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Let me know when they are in HD.
Old 03-26-07, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Big Worms
Old 03-26-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Big Worms
QFT... After finally getting into the HD-DVD world, looking at DVDs is like watching through a haze. It's horrible. I'm so spoiled.
Old 03-26-07, 04:15 PM
Banned

As QT and Rodriquez put a lot of love into their releases.
What crazy alternate reality are you from?

Let's look at QT's filmography on DVD. "Reservoir Dogs" is arguably the most important film of the 90's yet it's only been available on DVD with a respectable presentation for a few months. Then you have the supplements: you have to own both the 10th and 15th Anniversary discs to own everything and even combined it's still not a very impressive collection of extras to say the least.

"Pulp Fiction" and "Jackie Brown" are reasonably-packed but it's apparent by watching both DVD's that Tarantino wasn't heavily involved in the extras (this goes for the "Dogs" discs too). He's never recorded a commentary for one of his own films and his level of participation in his own supplements never seems to go beyond participating in interviews.

The "Kill Bill" releases are pretty much your standard bare-bones initial releases, they're run-of-the-mill in every way.

As for Robert Rodriguez, he's one of my favorite directors and I would own every one of his films if properly presented on DVD but as it stands I only own 5 (and I hesitate to even include "From Dusk Till Dawn" due to the non-anamorphic transfer).

I don't own the "Spy Kids" sequels but it seems like they (along with the "Sharkboy and Lavagirl DVD) are very packed. The reason I don't own the "Spy Kids" sequels is because the first film is bare-bones and even before the "Sin City"-era announcement it seemed like a given that there would be some sort of box set or at least an individual release of the first film along the lines of the sequels. There still isn't.

"Roadracers" is unavailable on DVD altogether and "The Faculty" is non-anamorphic and bare-bones. The same goes for "Four Rooms".

The first two "Mariachi" films have great RR commentaries and the Ten Minute Film Schools and the latest editions have that "OUATIM" sneak peak that's pretty much redundant now. What's there is good but these two DVD's are pretty light on content overall.

"From Dusk Till Dawn" is an anamorphic transfer away from greatness but that pretty much leaves two of Robert Rodriguez's non-family movies ("Sin City" and "Once Upon A Time In Mexico") that have outstanding DVD presentations. "OUATIM" is only a single-disc but it's got about as much stuff as you could put on a single disc.

When it comes to QT I wish he would participate in his own DVD's more but I can't complain too much because the films themselves are all properly presented uncut with anamorphic transfers (even if that's only a recent development) and the extras are decent at least even without his heavy involvement but Robert Rodriguez needs to devote A LOT of time to his DVD filmography to get it up to snuff.
Old 03-26-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Mostly I'm confused...everyone seems to be asking for the films edited back together, but...how? Not only is there an additional anime segment (from what I understand), and also additional footage here and there, but the runtimes of both films (admittedly including credits) is a whopping 247m. Even if this gets released, the films are still going to be split over two DVDs...isn't that the same thing? I mean, Blu-Ray, sure, but I presume most people still have regular old SD DVD...
Old 03-26-07, 05:49 PM
MGR

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I don't understand all the fuss about the long-awaited Kill Bill box set. Just buy the Japan box, it's got all you need: both movies, uncut, with the House of Blue Leaves scene in color, DTS, it's NTSC, (unlike the UK Boxset the other poster is looking at), and it comes in a nicely designed, sturdy slipcase: Kill Bill 1 & 2
Is this set OOP?
I clicked on the link, and from what I can tell , there are only used copies from individual Amazon sellers available.
From 2,980 to 6,279 yen (not including S&H).
Old 03-26-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Mostly I'm confused...everyone seems to be asking for the films edited back together, but...how? Not only is there an additional anime segment (from what I understand), and also additional footage here and there, but the runtimes of both films (admittedly including credits) is a whopping 247m. Even if this gets released, the films are still going to be split over two DVDs...isn't that the same thing? I mean, Blu-Ray, sure, but I presume most people still have regular old SD DVD...
I agree with this fully. I like it as two movies. If people just want the fight scene(s) to be uncut, I can understand that. But just putting them together really won't change the experience one bit. You would also lose the cliffhanger ending from Volume 1 and the intro to Volume 2. I believe those were re-edited into the films when they decided to split it up. I'm not sure about the second anime sequence. I've heard of it too but has anyone really seen proof of it. They already included a deleted scene on the DVD's.
Old 03-26-07, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Since Theatrical to DVD is usually 3 months now, they would have make these 2 announced VERY soon.
Or maybe he's saying that Grindhouse isn't coming out on DVD for quite a while.
Old 03-26-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DarthMarino
You would also lose the cliffhanger ending from Volume 1 and the intro to Volume 2. I believe those were re-edited into the films when they decided to split it up.
I'm sure everyone here has seen it but just in case----

Spoiler:
If you watch it w/o the cliffhanger; the ending sequence with BB in KB2 is more surprising. Up to this point we all assumed she was dead. Putting the two halves back together the viewer (at least those that have never seen KB) will be as surprised as the Bride to see here daughter alive. It isn't as big a deal when the 2 films are split up.

Last edited by mrhan; 03-26-07 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-26-07, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Or maybe he's saying that Grindhouse isn't coming out on DVD for quite a while.
IMO, he means that before we see a SUPER MEGA UNRATED A LA SIN CITY disc, we will see these discs released.
Old 03-26-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
I'm sure everyone here has seen it but just in case----

Spoiler:
If you watch it w/o the cliffhanger; the ending sequence with BB in KB2 is more surprising. Up to this point we all assumed she was dead. Putting the two halves back together the viewer (at least those that have never seen KB) will be as surprised as the Bride to see here daughter alive. It isn't as big a deal when the 2 films are split up.
That's definitely a good point. The problem is that I've seen both movies so many times that if that scene wasn't there, I would probably miss it. The tone of both movies seems to be completely different so it makes it matter to me even less. It doesn't feel like they just chopped a movie in half.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.