HOSTEL: Special Edition

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

HOSTEL: Special Edition

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-07, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eh I'm not feeling the double dip for just one scene change. I'm sure it will be up on youtube by the end of the night. Best Buy did have a killer price for it-12.99
Old 10-23-07, 07:11 PM

$12.50 if you bought Hostel 2 with it!
Old 10-23-07, 07:12 PM

I guess i missed out on that one!
Old 10-23-07, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll rent Hostel II first. If I like it, I may bite on the 2 for $25 offer at Best Buy, since I can always give the first Hostel release to a friend.
Old 10-23-07, 08:01 PM

no thanks on HOSTEL: Special Edition.i already got the first release. and i don't double dip on dvds. except on movies that i really like that have more than 20 mins of more scenes. and this is basicly the same movie and a different ending.
Old 10-23-07, 11:35 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Watched it and the ending is all that seems different. You can pick which version you want, unrated or unrated w/ alternate ending. I like the ending that was in theatres. Its nice to have both now but still prefer the kill ending.
I didn't like the theatrical ending. I was kind of expecting there to be no survivors, and when the ending hit I was kind of disappointed. Is the alternate ending radically different? I don't know when I'll get to sit down and watch it.
Old 10-23-07, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SliceOfHorse
I didn't like the theatrical ending. I was kind of expecting there to be no survivors, and when the ending hit I was kind of disappointed. Is the alternate ending radically different? I don't know when I'll get to sit down and watch it.
The new ending shows Paxton kidnaping the man's daughter whos finger he cut off in the theatrical version. He grabs her from the bathroom and takes her on the train. It shows the man screaming for his daughter as the train pulls out of the station.

From IMDB: The original ending in the script ended with Paxton kidnapping the Dutch Businessman's daughter, then as they leave on a train he covers her mouth to prevent her from screaming (it's unclear whether or not he is helping her or if he is going to hurt her). This ambiguous ending was changed for the film because test screenings thought the ending was too dark and not satisfying enough. Roth then re-shot the ending that made it into the final cut (Paxton killing the Dutch Businessman). The alternate ending will be on the DVD.

Last edited by Rammsteinfan; 10-23-07 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-24-07, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i just got the original 'unrated' Hostel last week at Wally World for $9...

i'm not dipping on this...

i will get Hostel 2 though...
Old 10-24-07, 08:49 AM
Banned

Watch Hostel 2 last night, it was a great horror flick. Don't let the negative reviews sway you, if you liked the original Hostel you will definitely like the second one. I loved the first one and loved the second one, not as much nudity this time around but alot of blood.
P.S. I found the Eli Roth head no problem but where the heck is Quentin's?
Old 10-24-07, 09:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by JLBkret
Watch Hostel 2 last night, it was a great horror flick. Don't let the negative reviews sway you, if you liked the original Hostel you will definitely like the second one. I loved the first one and loved the second one, not as much nudity this time around but alot of blood.
Heather's body slicing though was fuckin' gnarly in unrated form.
Old 10-24-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't let the negative reviews sway you,
it was given a good review here... 'Highly Recommended'...

Link to Review...

but i know what you mean...
Old 10-24-07, 10:18 AM

I was wondering the same thing...i tried zooming in but no luck. Maybe on the commentary?? I didn't check it out yet.
Old 10-25-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's my question: if we are to now take the DC ending as canon, wouldn't that invalidate Paxton's dream sequence at the beginning of Hostel II? If he never killed the Dutch businessman then he wouldn't have
Spoiler:
a nightmare about getting caught for doing it
, right? Just a thought.

Last edited by islandclaws; 10-26-07 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-25-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Here's my question: if we are to now take the DC ending as canon, wouldn't that invalidate Paxton's dream sequence at the beginning of Hostel II? If he never killed the Dutch businessman then he wouldn't have a nightmare about getting caught for doing it, right? Just a thought.
how about not posting spoilers.....just my thought
Old 10-25-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I picked up Hostel II. Still debating if I want to pick up the first one on Blu-Ray
Old 10-25-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by philip74
how about not posting spoilers.....just my thought
Yea, I thought about that but I didn't tag it because most of these posts have been filled with spoiler info PLUS we're talking about a new cut of a film that's been out for 2 years.

I never understood why people who haven't seen a film insist on popping into threads about them and then complaining about spoilers. If you haven't seen Hostel WATCH it, stop READING about it.

Just my thought.
Old 10-26-07, 06:10 AM

Yea, I thought about that but I didn't tag it because most of these posts have been filled with spoiler info PLUS we're talking about a new cut of a film that's been out for 2 years.

I never understood why people who haven't seen a film insist on popping into threads about them and then complaining about spoilers. If you haven't seen Hostel WATCH it, stop READING about it.

Just my thought.
Yeah, but the thing is this thread is about Hostel not Hostel II which I'll be watching for the first time this weekend. You gave a spoiler for Hostel II. So, tagging it would've been nice. Also, just because someone is interested in a DVD and wants to read a thread on it doesn't mean they're wanting to read spoilers about the plot of the film. I don't know about you, but I blind buy DVDs all the time.

Last edited by Tenacious D; 10-26-07 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-26-07, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Just my thought.

I loved Hostel and was very disappointed in Hostel II. It was just missing something to me (mainly the nudity ).

The writing was dull, the girls were uninteresting and giving the story on the "club" weakened the mystery of it to me. All around it just didn't work. I also thought the acting in Hostel II was pretty poor. Yeah the blood bath was gross but the rest of it was fairly tame except for the "dog food" scene. I was bored almost all the way through.

And did anyone notice how the opening sequence seemed a little too close to the opening of Friday the 13th Part 2?

Rent it. Hostel gets an A- from me and Hostel 2 gets a D.
Old 10-26-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I thought Hostel was mediocre. I've seen it before, but there's something about it that just fails to take it to the next level. It's more than watchable, because despite my low enjoyment of it I keep watching it, but I don't think it's anywhere in the realm of Cabin Fever. The Unrated ending was interesting, but you lost the parallel between The Dutch Businessman killing Josh and Paxton killing the Dutch Businessman. Also, of course, the ending doesn't jive with Hostel Part II.

Spoiler:
Hostel Part II is more like it. I found Hostel Part II to be hilariously over-the-top with better characterizations and more interesting direction. I suppose it is sort of more-of-the-same, but seeing as I disliked the original I had no problem with what I felt was a distinct improvement. Also, the movie is just funny. The scene where everyone's trying to outbid each other, and the movie's crotch-rending ending are just darkly hilarious, not to mention the head soccer and Paxton's death.
Having said that I don't need to see a Hostel Part III (and Eli says we more than likely won't anyway).
Old 10-26-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tenacious D
Yeah, but the thing is this thread is about Hostel not Hostel II which I'll be watching for the first time this weekend. You gave a spoiler for Hostel II. So, tagging it would've been nice. Also, just because someone is interested in a DVD and wants to read a thread on it doesn't mean they're wanting to read spoilers about the plot of the film. I don't know about you, but I blind buy DVDs all the time.
Fair enough. I tagged the spoiler for Hostel II, but since I've been quoted and it's been repeated by someone else I don't know what good it'll do. Just watch the damn movie already.

I don't know what people who haven't seen these films they blind buy expect to find in these threads. Random, directionless, ambiguous praise for the film that validates their blind buys? If I go into a thread about a film coming to DVD I want to see I go in knowing there are bound to be bits of info that spoil parts of it. I only read the first post, since that's where the specs typically are, and I scroll quickly to see if anyone posted cover art. Then I get the hell outta there.
Old 10-27-07, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched Hostel 2 yesterday and I thought it was great, except I thought the ending was unsatisfying. There seemed to be a ton of buildup and not enough payoff.

Comparing the two, I enjoyed the lighthearted first part of Hostel that made the 2nd half even more jarring. IMHO it was a great combination.

In Hostel 2, it seemed to have a dark tone right from the beginning, but I loved seeing the auction process. I thought that added depth to the story.

However, the first death scene seemed out of place to me, almost like Roth said "ok, there's been too much lag time between gore scenes." However, I liked the twist in the finale regarding the two lead male characters but the final death scene was a bit too campy for my taste.
Old 11-05-07, 10:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I thought the producers commentary was enlightening - but for Tarantino not to know that 'Caligula' also
Spoiler:
had a severed penis devoured by dogs
scene, seems a tad surprising since he's a supposed trash film cineste.