Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD Profiler 3.0 is now available

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-07, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
I had the same issues last night. Their website was down as well. Website seems to be up now, but havent checked the program yet today.
Old 12-08-07, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DirkUSA
It's a one time fee and it's well worth the money. We all got to use it for free long enough. I don't understand that people bitch and complain about this. Do you all work for free or do you get paid?

Dirk
Most likely most don't work & reason why they want it free?
Old 12-28-07, 09:48 AM

I had used DVD Profiler (v2.4) on an old computer and wanted to transfer it to my new computer. Imagine my surprise when I find out they have moved on to v3.1, but now I cannot do anything with my collection (only about 150 DVDs). I really only want to be able to keep a catalog of my DVDs and occasionally print out a list (preferably with pictures), but I can no longer print reports without registering.
For my purposes, the cost of registering is hardly worth it. Are there other free programs out there that anyone can suggest? Perhaps Invelos should expand their pricing scheme to keep free as is, perhaps $10 for limited functionality, and the full $30 for full functionality.

Cheers,
Scotty B
Old 12-28-07, 10:02 AM

Another quick question... could I just download v2.4 somewhere and go back to using that since it suits my needs?

Scotty B
Old 12-28-07, 11:40 AM

I use DVD Profiler every day. I think $30 has been the bargain of a life-time. The creators of the program deserves every dollar they can get. It will only provide incentive to continue improving it for future versions.
Old 12-28-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bshassel
I use DVD Profiler every day. I think $30 has been the bargain of a life-time. The creators of the program deserves every dollar they can get. It will only provide incentive to continue improving it for future versions.
I couldn't agree more. I bought my registration in April of 2002 on version 0.9.5. Hell, that was before I joined here!

After the switch over to the "new" company, they could have been asses and charged people for a new key, but they kept their promise for a lifetime registration.
Old 12-28-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barry
Most likely most don't work & reason why they want it free?
Where do you get the DVDs from if you don't work? Or can you get free DVDs somewhere legally?

Dirk
Old 12-28-07, 01:12 PM

I agree it is a great program and very useful and worth the $30...if you use it all the time, but like I said, I only have about 150 DVDs and hardly use it except when I get new DVDs or if I want to make a list, which I use for checking whether all my DVDs are there and to share with friends if they want to borrow one. However, I can no longer print a report so it is not much use to me, but hardly worth the $30 in my case.
Would DVDSpot or DVD Af allow me to print a list (preferably with pictures) of my DVD collection? Or should I just go find DVD Profiler v2.4?

Thanks,
Scotty B
Old 12-28-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Numes
I couldn't agree more. I bought my registration in April of 2002 on version 0.9.5. Hell, that was before I joined here!

After the switch over to the "new" company, they could have been asses and charged people for a new key, but they kept their promise for a lifetime registration.
what numes said ...
Old 12-28-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty B
Another quick question... could I just download v2.4 somewhere and go back to using that since it suits my needs?

Scotty B
Unfortunately, after Invelos released 3.0, they said that previous releases of DVDProfiler would not be updated. You can still use 2.4 to for what you have so far, but they are not updating the 2.4 database with new and future DVDs.
Old 12-28-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Gobear
Unfortunately, after Invelos released 3.0, they said that previous releases of DVDProfiler would not be updated. You can still use 2.4 to for what you have so far, but they are not updating the 2.4 database with new and future DVDs.
You can still add titles to it manually, do your own scans, your own cast work, etc.
Old 12-28-07, 02:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 935 Likes on 783 Posts
Does anyone else's DVD Profiler 3.0 take up so much of their PC's resources that it runs at a snails' pace?
I just installed it on this XP PC I am using and when I go to system resources it uses 82,000 K of memory. Is this a lot and would this be why it is so slow on this PC? Thanks.
Old 12-28-07, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by bshassel
Different strokes. No import = no sale... even if it weren't bloated.

I've found that Ant Movie Catalog does everything that I need it to do and the author is very encouraging and supportive of people tweaking his program. I modified it to be a Music cataloger.
Old 12-28-07, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
Does anyone else's DVD Profiler 3.0 take up so much of their PC's resources that it runs at a snails' pace?
I just installed it on this XP PC I am using and when I go to system resources it uses 82,000 K of memory. Is this a lot and would this be why it is so slow on this PC? Thanks.
Depends on the PC you have. 83MB isn't that much considering you should have at least 512MB in your PC these days. However, it does seem it's a little high for dvdpro.exe because I normally see it at around 23MB. You sure DVD Profiler wasn't updating titles or something at the time you noticed the slowness?

Make sure you don't have any other programs taking up space which are not closed out.
Old 12-28-07, 07:20 PM
Cool New Member

I noticed the same slowness when I upgraded to 3.0 on my Dell notebook, which I bought last year. I thought maybe I had already used up all of my hard drives' space, but once the next update was available, the slowness went away. I've hadn't a problem since.
Old 12-28-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,306 Likes on 950 Posts
I haven't noticed any slowness.
Old 12-29-07, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
I don't use it all the time, but I do use it quite often. It's one of the few shareware/trialware programs I've paid for (Roboform being the other). I haven't noticed it using much ram, but it does take a few moments to load. It's currently taking 99620 KB of ram, which is actually more than the 88 MB Firefox is using. No slowness except for waiting for it to load.
Old 12-29-07, 08:42 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 935 Likes on 783 Posts
so is there anyway i can reduce the slowness. it is there when it loads, when i want to add dvds to collection, etc... it oft times freezes up to a point where i have to reboot. i have no other programs running at the time i open dvdpro. what is this upgrade? i dl'd the latest version from the site.
Old 12-29-07, 02:18 PM
Cool New Member

so is there anyway i can reduce the slowness. it is there when it loads, when i want to add dvds to collection, etc... it oft times freezes up to a point where i have to reboot. i have no other programs running at the time i open dvdpro. what is this upgrade? i dl'd the latest version from the site.
I was just saying that once a new update was available for DVD Profiler, the slowness went away. I haven't had any problems with any further updates to this program. So you're still getting the slowness and freezing, even with 3.1.1?
Old 12-29-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 821 Likes on 693 Posts
Your Profiler database might be corrupted. Have you backed up your database from when you remember it running smooth? That is a possibility.
Old 12-30-07, 07:29 PM

How much RAM is on your machine? Have you run a virus or spyware program to clean out your machine recently? I just updated DVDPro from 3.0 to 3.1 with no problems. I am running it right now along with Task Manager and IExplorer, and it is running between 1,600 kb to around 39,000 kb depending on if I am in it or it is sitting idle. It jumps up a bit to 60,000 kb now and then, but it is by no means eating up all my resources. PhantomStranger might be right also, your data might be corrupted. If you have backed up your data, try to uninstall and then reinstall DVDProfiler 3.1, and then restore your data to see if the slowness goes away. I have a Dell as well, about a year and a half old, and I'm running 1g of RAM and have no problems. I actually prefer DVDProfiler over others, and I'll be buying the full version soon.

As for Scotty B's question or issue with printing a list, I use DVDPro (free version right now) and I log who has borrowed them. I use the "Sort By" feature and sort my dvds with "Loaned To" in "Descending" order. This sorts my dvds with all of my borrowed dvds on top of the list, and I can see who has what by mousing over the loaned to icon for each dvd. I think even if i could print a list with photos, I wouldn't do it; to me it'd be a waste of ink (my collection is sitting at 643 dvds right now), and I like to use the sort feature to check out what is on loan and what is coming back to me. When I'm done, I simply click the collection number list heading and it sorts them back they way I normally like them in alphabetical order with collection numbers in ascending order. I'm really looking forward to using all the features of this software.

Good luck with your slowness problem, and Scotty, honestly $30 for a lifetime membership to run this program is a steal (and when you're collection starts to grow by leaps and bounds, you'll be glad you kept it). It'd be nice if Microsoft's OS's and Office Software were sold this way; pay once and receive a lifetime of upgrades and new versions for free for life.

Last edited by mr. b_dvd; 12-30-07 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-30-07, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by sracer
Different strokes. No import = no sale... even if it weren't bloated.

I've found that Ant Movie Catalog does everything that I need it to do and the author is very encouraging and supportive of people tweaking his program. I modified it to be a Music cataloger.

What do you mean "No import?" I've searched for dvd's from other regions, and I have found loads of 'em in the database. And, if you pay the fee, you are able to be a contributing member to the database, i.e., the imports that you have that are not in the database could be with your assistance. You'd be helping the database grow, and you'd be helping other members as well. I think other programs run this way as well, but for me, I like the layout of DVDProfiler over others I have seen.

You are right though, different strokes.
Old 03-03-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
DVDPro 3.1 questions:

1. Is there a way to "refresh profile and images" for every title at once? (I wish the little icon on the title actually refreshed, rather than saying "You need to refresh")

2. Exporting collection--I liked csv, I could import into xls easily. What do I do with xml? How do I use it? I don't want to create a webpage, I basically want a printable, sortable, filterable, text-only listing of my collection with very basic fields (title, number, watched/loaned, etc).
Old 03-03-08, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
dtcarson for question #1
go to the tool bar and under online you will find all the refresh options.
-

question #2
the last item under tools lets you export your profile database to csv

I hope this helps

Last edited by Randy810; 03-03-08 at 07:27 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 03-03-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dtcarson
DVDPro 3.1 questions:

1. Is there a way to "refresh profile and images" for every title at once? (I wish the little icon on the title actually refreshed, rather than saying "You need to refresh")

2. Exporting collection--I liked csv, I could import into xls easily. What do I do with xml? How do I use it? I don't want to create a webpage, I basically want a printable, sortable, filterable, text-only listing of my collection with very basic fields (title, number, watched/loaned, etc).
Go to the Profiler forum and to the Plug in page, there is a plugin about 15th down, install and you will be able to export in to csv.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.