Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

With your large collections...ever feel you have nothing to watch?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

With your large collections...ever feel you have nothing to watch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-07, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
This thread is a relief because now i realize that i'm not crazy. I have this problem ALL THE TIME.

Another weird thing with me is i will get an urge to get a certain DVD (usually after hearing something about it here) and i cant wait to go to BB or wherever and get it, then once i do it just ends up sitting on the shelf forever because i can't get in the mood to watch it for some reason.
Old 03-12-07, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My cure for this problem was to stop buying altogether and joining Nextflix.

So far, I'm holding strong and any new DVDs have been presents.

Must avoid temptation
Old 03-13-07, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Malticor
We [my wife and I] have a system. One of us picks 5 discs and the other selects from that group. Sometimes we just pass the stack back-and-forth eliminating whatever we don't want to watch until we're down to one.
Wow, ok, I think this might solve a lot of problems. I have the same problem as everyone else. 600+ DVDs and I can stand and look at them for 30 mins and cant' decide what to watch. Not because of the movies, just can't make a choice for which one to watch. It hasn't stopped my purchasing though.
Old 03-13-07, 07:38 AM
crs

I wouldn't say I ever felt like I have nothing to watch (I've got over 3000 DVDs), but one thing I often DO feel, is that I spend so much time going through my collection and selecting a title to watch, that I could have watched a whole movie already!! I sometimes laugh at that.
Old 03-13-07, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have much of a problem, especially with most of the TV show DVDs I have, I can watch most of them repeatedly without getting too sick of them.

As for movies, maybe a little, but after catching a glimpse of a movie I own on TV, I'll be tempted to watch it on DVD.
Old 03-13-07, 08:50 AM

I agree 100%....I have tons of movies and have a hard time finding something to watch.

Usually I end up watching one of my favs.

That's why I've kind of quit buying DVD's just because their cheap. Who cares if it's a good deal. What good does that do if I never watch it.

I've learned with some movies just once is enough. That's why I've toned down my buying and just signed up for Netflix. That way I can watch the new releases as they come out and any another movies I feel like watching.
Old 03-13-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

As many have already said, I thought I was alone on this... it is INCREDIBLY relieving to know that I'm not alone! My saving grace right now for the time being, is that I just got an Oppo upconverting DVD player and I'm excited to view great films in better quality now.

But man, to sit around for a half an hour, an hour, and not really know what I want to watch after that... it's very discouraging. I have upwards of a thousand or so DVD's, I need to tone down my purchasing as well.
Old 03-13-07, 01:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 932 Likes on 780 Posts
Originally Posted by scott1598
tonight i think i have my line-up though...
1st: "Private School"
2nd: "Tigerland"
3rd: "King of New York"
I have "Night of the Comet" in already from another night that i fell asleep during so i got the horror covered.

i just hope i can stick to it and that is that.
well, i watched NotC and Tigerland, but couldn't get geared up for the other 2. my mentality is like i have them, so what is the rush to watch them. they will be there.
i kinda like renting better bc that forces me to watch almost instantly. those are relief days for watching..
Old 03-13-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sometimes.

But for me I've evened it out with gaming.

For example, for a long while I was watching DVDs almost every day, and buying a few a week. Since I've got back into gaming, I find that when I "have nothing to watch" I play a game, and when I have "nothing to play" I watch a DVD.

Also, one of the biggest killers of this feeling is to buy a few seasons for various shows. My gf and I are in the middle of about 5 different shows right now, so there's always something we need to watch.
Old 03-13-07, 01:24 PM

Honestly- no, never. I have had hard time choosing between a few to watch at one time though- but my choice has never been to watch nothing. Maybe this happens to those who are more collectors than movie lovers/the film obsessed? I've heard a lot of people that did not really see many movies before DVDs and never bothered with VHS, so maybe having a large collection is overwhelming for those who just see movies as a light entertainment.

Last edited by SideShow; 03-13-07 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-16-07, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just grab stuff at random. If I didn't, I'd never watch some of the things.
Old 03-16-07, 08:41 PM

I always make sure to try and watch something out of my unwatched pile first. After that, I try and watch something that pertains to whatever is just being released in theaters or dvd. For example, This weekend "Premonition", "I Think I Love My Wife", & "Dead Silence" are the big new releases in theatres so I would watch something that features one of the stars, directors, or similar themes to these movies. Thru the week I usually will use the same system to what is being released on dvd. It's kind of corny but it helps me watch some things that I probably would forget about.
Old 03-17-07, 11:57 AM

all the time. as Im looking I try to base it on my mood at the time to make the choice easier.
Old 03-17-07, 12:08 PM

Glad to see I'm not alone in this! Haha. I'll often just sit on top of this exercise ball we have in our house and just stare at my collection. It's brutal, I've been known to look over my movies for about 10-15 minutes just to pick out something.

...And of course I'll still buy more, even when some I own are unwatched. Like lordwow, I tend to level out myself with gaming if I can't decide as well.
Old 03-17-07, 01:50 PM

I go through this pretty much every time I'm trying to pick out a movie to watch. I've got 100+ movies now and almost all of them are movies that I really liked and knew that I would watch multiple times in the future...but then when I go to pick one, I'm always in the mood for something that I don't have.
Old 03-17-07, 02:02 PM

I've already posted (i've never had this problem) but I do understand it so I've put together a few tips that may or may not help at all By the way, the one spouse picking 5 and the other picking the 1 is brilliant, it also probably leaves both more satisfied with the final choice.

- Rent Less- With rentals they usually take the number one spot with viewing, and with Netflix it's natural to want to keep it moving so you can see all the new releases and whatnot you want. But if you really have a big unwatched backlog maybe for a month or two you can choose a 1 or 2 disc rental and even save some money!

- Read reviews/others opinions- Sometimes if I'm unsure about what to watch, or can't decide between a few, I read the reviews on Netflix. I skip the short, dumb ones and read the ones that rate the film 5 stars and really loved the movie. That helps me get excited to watch it. I also like Roger Ebert's written reviews (you, obviously, pick a critic you like) I usually hate critics but even with pictures he dislikes he gives you a good outline of the film and its pros and cons.
Old 03-17-07, 02:12 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I have about 160 film and television titles in my library. The four television series that I have only lasted one season each. It is sometimes difficult because I try not to watch something I saw recently. Some films I have to be in the mood in to see. Other times I have no idea what to watch. I ususally see what I buy immediately.
Old 03-18-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
I couldn't even begin to count the number of hours I've wasted my life just staring blankly at my collection and trying to decide upon that ONE DVD to watch! In fact, just the other day I probably spent a good 45-minutes doing just that. It's basically the equivalent of those who spend way too much time on the net discussing every little minuscule detail of anything DVD-related instead of devoting some of that time to actually watching the damn things...same principle only much less is accomplished.
Old 03-18-07, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
It is the whole being in the mood for something thing. Some I watch dozens of times some I watch once and then never touch again. One of the reasons I like double dipping or rebuying in HD is it gives me good incentive to rewatch movies.
Old 03-18-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah, I have this problem. But I've alleviated it by joining Netflix and moving my primary purchases to TV seasons & Blu-RAy & HD discs which I feel inclined to watch as soon as I get them because they are more costly.
Old 03-19-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have many many dvds sitting on the shelf...many unopened that I will never watch and be replaced by the next format..just like I did on laser..just like on vhs..many the same titles over and over..It is Sick...I just keep buying and hardly watching as I have netflix too .
Old 03-19-07, 12:24 PM

Like others here, we operate on the narrowing-down system. Since I manage our collection, and am the most educated about film in my circle of friends & family, I pick out six or so titles, and help the wife/guests narrow it down from there. Almost always works, and saves tons of time starring at an overwhelming shelf of stuff.
Old 03-19-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Something tells me that with a handle like starman9000 that doesn't leave a lot of options!

Yeah, actually she tends to veto foreign movies and classics as well....really she pretty much always just wants to watch Wes Anderson movies or Shaun of the Dead.
Old 03-19-07, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah. I have a terrible problem. 1500+ dvd's. I have 2 400 disk changers with just tv shows, cause I thought id never rewatch any of those if I had to pull a disc from a set. I usually wind up just watching a disc in one of the changers, then jumping to the next disc.
Old 03-19-07, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier
This thread is a relief because now i realize that i'm not crazy. I have this problem ALL THE TIME.

Another weird thing with me is i will get an urge to get a certain DVD (usually after hearing something about it here) and i cant wait to go to BB or wherever and get it, then once i do it just ends up sitting on the shelf forever because i can't get in the mood to watch it for some reason.

I feel exactly, the same way!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.