My First Triple-Dip

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

My First Triple-Dip

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-07, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I quadruple dipped with PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE. Every time a new edition comes out with cool extras, I buy it.

(It's always very inexpensive anyhow.)
Old 03-06-07, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
Which theatrical cut? The Hong Kong theatrical cut, or the Miramax theatrical cut?

In either case, the Extended Cut is better, but for slightly different reasons.

In comparing the Extended Cut to the original Hong Kong cut, the Extended Cut just adds in two more scenes, one of which is unessential but very funny, the other is an important character development moment that enhances the love story in the film. So it's a slightly longer, better version of the film with outtakes at the end as a bonus.

In comparing the Extended Cut to the Miramax edit, the Miramax edit is an abomination that should be wiped from the Earth. Miramax pretty mercilessly cut out a bunch of character development so they could focus on the slapstick and action more. In a telling move, Miramax included the unessential but funny scene from the Extended Cut, and even edited in an outtake, while cutting out character stuff that was even in the Hong Kong Theatrical Cut. From accounts of people who saw this cut first, the film is good enough that it can still be enjoyed in this mutilated form, but the Miramax edit doesn't hold a candle to either of the other cuts.

So in summary, ranked from best to worst the list of different cuts goes: Extended Cut, Hong Kong Theatrical, Miramax Edit.

From what I've read, this is pretty much the way everyone who has seen the different edits has ranked them as well.
Of course the The Hong Kong theatrical cut, I wouldn't waste my time watching something that's cut so much. Thanks for the comparison. Shaolin Soccer might be my first triple dip.
Old 03-06-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rypro 525
Then the most recent version i got was the region 3 EDKO extended version.
Not that you were asking, but the Edko release of Hero is full bit rate DTS and so I hear, sounds absolutely awesome!! If so, that would probably be the one to keep .. if not all.
Old 03-07-07, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Even if we're counting HD versions as dips, I was surprised to see only one so far: Memento, for which I've bought the original DVD, the 2-disc DVD, and the BD. It may not be the last, since the BD isn't quite what it should be in terms of video and is missing some LE extras.

It won't be long before there are more, as I've double-dipped on a good number of DVDs.
Old 03-07-07, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Only 1:
Apocalypse Now
Apocalypse Now Redux
Apocalypse Now - The Complete Dossier
Old 03-07-07, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by visitor Q
Not that you were asking, but the Edko release of Hero is full bit rate DTS and so I hear, sounds absolutely awesome!! If so, that would probably be the one to keep .. if not all.
yep, it sure does. I sold the other 2 copies.