Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Universal Double & Triple Features ----> 5/22/07

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-23-07, 11:43 AM
Banned

Following WB steps, Universal will release a handful of double and triple features on May 22nd.

American Me / Empire Double Feature
Bird on a Wire / The Cowboy Way Double Feature
Cheech and Chong's Next Movie / Born in East L.A. Double Feature
Dante's Peak / Daylight Double Feature
Fear / The Watcher / Raising Cain Triple Feature
Hard Target / Sudden Death Double Feature
Kicking & Screaming / Big Fat Liar Double Feature
Major Payne / Sgt. Bilko Double Feature
Patch Adams / What Dreams May Come Double Feature
The People Under the Stairs / Shocker Double Feature
The Perfect Man / Head Over Heels / In Good Company Triple Feature
The River Wild / The Getaway / The Real McCoy Triple Feature
The Skulls / The Skulls II Double Feature
The Wedding Date / Prime / Wimbledon Triple Feature
Old 02-23-07, 12:11 PM

They're widescreen, so that's a good start. Unfortunately, the lineup isn't as strong (to me) as WB's. I might pickup the Skulls pack.
Old 02-23-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So does that mean the individual versions of these films are going OOP? I was considering Raising Cain but I seriously loathe those other two films. I was hoping this would get an SE as they seemed to be steadily doing for DePalma films. Guess this one getting this treatment is a step backwards from that happening.
Old 02-23-07, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i might pick up the wes craven double feature, otherwise i'm not really crazy about double/triple features unless they're connected by director or sequels.
Old 02-23-07, 02:03 PM

Dante's Peak and Daylight might be decent enough to pass the time...it'll probably be sold at $7 or $8.
Old 02-23-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would've actually picked up the Kicking and Screaming and Big Fat Liar double feature, but alas, full screen only.

The only one that interests me is the Dante's Peak and Daylight double feature. I'm shocked that The Skulls set is not including The Skulls 3.
Old 02-23-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't really see how the great In Good Company ties in with Head Over Heels or The Perfect Man.
Old 02-23-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

An awesome double feature from Universal would be: Lost Highway/Mullholland Drive in Widescreen. Otherwise, I'd rather own all these seperately if I had any interest in some of the titles. Already got Fear, Daylight, Bird On A Wire, The Cowbody Way, Dante's Peak, In Good Company, Hard Target, Patch Adams, The Getaway and The Watcher. So as you can see most of these releases for me are pointless. Good for budget buys though, and I am glad to see Universal doing it.
Old 02-23-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'm glad to see this, because I like these kinds of discs (as long as they're OAR or at the very least not a downgrade of the existing disc -- like the No Way Out DVD is presumably already FF only so that's okay).

Still, hello? The Skulls one needs The Skulls III. The Wes Craven one needs The Serpent and the Rainbow. In Good Company should be in a set with About a Boy and American Dreamz. Brains anyone?
Old 02-23-07, 09:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I'm glad to see this, because I like these kinds of discs (as long as they're OAR or at the very least not a downgrade of the existing disc -- like the No Way Out DVD is presumably already FF only so that's okay).

Still, hello? The Skulls one needs The Skulls III. The Wes Craven one needs The Serpent and the Rainbow. In Good Company should be in a set with About a Boy and American Dreamz. Brains anyone?

you are talking about Universal and their marketing monkeys. Common sense and brain rationalization is asking too much.
Old 05-03-07, 10:41 AM
Banned

More double and triple features are going to be released on August 14th. The list can be seen here:
http://homevideo.universalstudios.co...rds=08/01/2007
Old 05-03-07, 10:47 AM
Banned

Damn I love these double and triple features! Buy them at Walmart they are cheap there!
Old 05-03-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://homevideo.universalstudios.co...p?titleId=3211

Hey now, Prince of Darkness and They Live sounds like a great double feature for $15. It also comes with Carpenter's remake of Village of the Damned, which I've never seen before, and was always curious to check out.

For people who've bought these things before, how are they packaged? Individual slimcases? Multiple films on one disc? Just regular copies of the discs housed in one case?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just looked and saw that it'll be a 2-disc set.
Old 05-03-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is the picture quality as good on these movies, or does the quality suffer from having so many movies crammed onto a disc?
Old 05-03-07, 10:44 PM
Suspended

Hmmm.. I'm a Double/Triple Feature addict but none of these interest me.

It's rare that I buy a FS version so it's good they are putting the WS prints on these at least.

Hope this is a trend that continues with all the studios.

Oh, and also - on the Warner and other discs I've picked up, the picture quality is always great. I've never once thought about compression while viewing one. Not saying there aren't some clunkers floating around out there though.

Last edited by An4h0ny; 05-03-07 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-03-07, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is the picture quality as good on these movies, or does the quality suffer from having so many movies crammed onto a disc?
Based on a user review on Amazon of the Lethal Weapon triple feature, it's one film on a single-sided disc, and then on the second disc, one movie is on one side and the third film is on the flipside.

Granted, that's Warner Bros, but I imagine Universal is doing the same thing--God knows they love their double-sided discs.
Old 05-05-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Based on a user review on Amazon of the Lethal Weapon triple feature, it's one film on a single-sided disc, and then on the second disc, one movie is on one side and the third film is on the flipside.

Granted, that's Warner Bros, but I imagine Universal is doing the same thing--God knows they love their double-sided discs.
Actually I think they learned their lesson, to some extent. The Tom Hanks Comedy Favorites Collection was, shockingly, two single-sided discs as opposed to one double-sided disc. I would expect these to be more of the same.

All the ones I am tempted by in this new batch I already own one or more of. I really want Village of the Damned -- I can never find it anywhere -- but I like my single-edition releases of They Live and Prince of Darkness.

I might consider selling Halloween II for the double-feature though. Maybe.
Old 07-15-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For $15, I am all over this when it comes out next month. Looks like it'll be Prince of Darkness on one disc, with Damned and They Live sharing another single-sided disc. Was initially unhappy with the news on that, but it looks like the individual version of They Live is a single layer anyway, so no loss.
Old 07-15-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been looking for that John Carpenter triple feature everywhere. Its not listed on Amazon or Universal's site.
Old 07-15-07, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://dvdpricesearch.com/cgi-bin/dv...&tmpCart=72059