Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Shut Up & Sing" 2-disc edition due this summer

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-13-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I was reading Entertainment Weekly's blog about the Dixie Chicks' recent Grammy wins, I came across the following:

Cecilia Peck, producer and co-director of their documentary Shut Up and Sing, says there's a two-disc special edition due to hit stores this summer that includes not only outtakes from the doc footage but the entirety of the first night of the band's most recent arena tour.

I'm dying to see it, and I figured I wouldn't be able to rent it via Netflix (re: Weinstein Company's exclusive deal with Blockbuster), but it's listed as being available next Tuesday. So I'll rent it for now and hold off on purchasing it until a newer edition is released.
Old 02-13-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bookcase3
As I was reading Entertainment Weekly's blog about the Dixie Chicks' recent Grammy wins, I came across the following:

Cecilia Peck, producer and co-director of their documentary Shut Up and Sing, says there's a two-disc special edition due to hit stores this summer that includes not only outtakes from the doc footage but the entirety of the first night of the band's most recent arena tour.

I'm dying to see it, and I figured I wouldn't be able to rent it via Netflix (re: Weinstein Company's exclusive deal with Blockbuster), but it's listed as being available next Tuesday. So I'll rent it for now and hold off on purchasing it until a newer edition is released.
There probably won't be many posts in this thead, but in case you didn't know, it seems the film was shot in full frame. I can't even wrap my head around why they would have done this.

The case read "modified to fit your screen" from what I've heard, but I think when a full screen dvd comes out, they might just assume that it's pan and scan. But from every source I've looked into, the film was shot in full frame and not modified. But why it wasn't shot in widescreen, I will never understand.

Now, that makes me wonder if that wondeful concert performance will also be in full frame.

I'll be buying them both, though.
Old 02-13-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow... I didn't realize that it was shot full frame. Why?!?! I'm very sensitive to these things ever since getting a widescreen TV at Christmastime.
Old 02-13-07, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bookcase3
Wow... I didn't realize that it was shot full frame. Why?!?! I'm very sensitive to these things ever since getting a widescreen TV at Christmastime.
I feel your pain, but even for those who don't that the HDTVs, it's a shame they chose to shoot this doc in full frame.

It had to be the director's choice and I can't think of one good reason for her to have made that choice.

It is a great film, though.
Old 02-13-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
The case read "modified to fit your screen" from what I've heard, but I think when a full screen dvd comes out, they might just assume that it's pan and scan. But from every source I've looked into, the film was shot in full frame and not modified. But why it wasn't shot in widescreen, I will never understand.

Now, that makes me wonder if that wondeful concert performance will also be in full frame.
The entire movie, concert sequences included, was shot in full-frame Standard Definition video. It looked quite poor on theater screens.

The movie is basically just an extended promotional special for the band's new album, and most likely started production with the intention of airing on VH1 or being used as a behind-the-scenes bonus feature on the inevitable Dixie Chicks concert DVD. It was not a well-budgeted affair. It was only diverted to theaters because the production company thought they could goose some extra mileage out of the political controversy, which obviously worked.
Old 02-13-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The entire movie, concert sequences included, was shot in full-frame Standard Definition video. It looked quite poor on theater screens.

The movie is basically just an extended promotional special for the band's new album, and most likely started production with the intention of airing on VH1 or being used as a behind-the-scenes bonus feature on the inevitable Dixie Chicks concert DVD. It was not a well-budgeted affair. It was only diverted to theaters because the production company thought they could goose some extra mileage out of the political controversy, which obviously worked.
Woo, the first wingnut comment to make this thread.

I'm sure that Barbara Kopple, who's already an academy award winner in the documentary category, and Cecilia Peck came to the Chicks about making a fluffy promo piece for VH1 and not a serious documentary about free speech. I mean, typically VH1 specials and bonus features for concert dvds follow a band around for 3 years.

And for being planned as a supplement on a Dixie Chicks concert dvd, I must say it's impressive that the documentary/fluff piece/promo won the audience award for best documentary at the Aspen filmflest, won the Boston Film Critics Award for best documentary, won the special jury prize at the Chicago International Film Festival, won the San Diego Film Critics Society Award for best doc, the Southeastern Film Critics Association award, and the Woodstock Film Festival Audience Award.

It was also nominated for numerous other awards. Pretty good for something planned for VH1 or a special feature on a concert disc. It must be all the liberal bias.
Old 02-13-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1.2 mill theatrical gross.....
Old 02-13-07, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Artman
1.2 mill theatrical gross.....
How in the world is the theatrical gross relevant to any of the discussions here?

Oh, it's not.
Old 02-14-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Woo, the first wingnut comment to make this thread.
Listen, I have no particular objection to the band's politics, and my wife is actually a big fan of theirs. The movie just isn't all it's been made out to be. It's very promotional and barely scratches the surface of the political issues it mentions. Sorry you can't accept that opinion.
Old 02-14-07, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For a documentary, 1.2 million isn't bad at all, but it is irrelevant.
Old 02-14-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I've not seen it and I can't wait. I still can't believe that "The Comment" caused as much of a stir as it did (and still does, if you read some recent Amazon reviews for their CD) -- especially considering that more than a healthy portion of America has now joined in the chorus of the Dixie Chicks' sentiment. The fascination with this is why I plan on owning the movie, so I hope it's more than a fluff piece.
Old 02-14-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Listen, I have no particular objection to the band's politics, and my wife is actually a big fan of theirs. The movie just isn't all it's been made out to be. It's very promotional and barely scratches the surface of the political issues it mentions. Sorry you can't accept that opinion.
I accept it, but it just happens to be wrong.
Old 02-14-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I accept it, but it just happens to be wrong.

Whatever floats your boat, buddy. This one didn't float mine.
Old 02-14-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whatever floats your boat, buddy. This one didn't float mine.
Whatever, you should, however, talk about the film in movie talk and not threadcrap here.

Everything was about the film and the aspect ratio until you decided to call the film VH1 fluff and filler for a concert dvd which is completely untrue.
Old 02-14-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What do you mean? Was this actually shot on videotape?

--THX
Old 02-14-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whatever, you should, however, talk about the film in movie talk and not threadcrap here.

Everything was about the film and the aspect ratio until you decided to call the film VH1 fluff and filler for a concert dvd which is completely untrue.
Strictly speaking, you're right-- but discussion in DVD threads often shifts into thoughts on the movies themselves. Almost any Star Wars thread is evidence of that. A raging debate about this particular movie belongs in the Movies forum, sure. Or, perhaps more appropriately, in Politics. But a few stray comments don't seem like any big deal. To me, anyway.

--THX
Old 02-14-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Strictly speaking, you're right-- but discussion in DVD threads often shifts into thoughts on the movies themselves. Almost any Star Wars thread is evidence of that. A raging debate about this particular movie belongs in the Movies forum, sure. Or, perhaps more appropriately, in Politics. But a few stray comments don't seem like any big deal. To me, anyway.

--THX
It's more about intent, to me. It's pretty clear that calling this documentary filler for bonus features or got its origins for a VH1 special were not only threadcrapping, but the poster gave no evidence.

He also made a comment about how bad it looked in the theater. It didn't look bad at all. If you want to make those kinds of comments, show some screen caps.

Furthermore, I've said this before, a person can hate "The Godfather" and not be wrong, but this documentary was well received, so to say you didn't really like it is one thing, but to dump on it like it was one of the worst docs ever made is another. Shut Up And Sing has a 91% rating at rottentomatoes.com which seems pretty damned good for the glorified promo he tried to portray it as.

If this were a popular release, I think there would have been A LOT of threadcrapping comments, but it's not a big, important release for most here so there really aren't going to be people who care to even make a comment about it.
Old 02-15-07, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's more about intent, to me. It's pretty clear that calling this documentary filler for bonus features or got its origins for a VH1 special were not only threadcrapping, but the poster gave no evidence.
Someone asked why the documentary would be in 4:3. I tried to explain that from watching the movie it's quite obvious that the piece wasn't originally started with the intention of playing theatrically.

He also made a comment about how bad it looked in the theater. It didn't look bad at all. If you want to make those kinds of comments, show some screen caps.
How am I supposed to show screen caps from a theater? That's the silliest thing I've ever heard!

The movie was shot in Standard Def DV. This is not disputable. The format is not one designed to hold up to theatrical projection. It doesn't look very good on a large screen. It is what it is.

Furthermore, I've said this before, a person can hate "The Godfather" and not be wrong, but this documentary was well received, so to say you didn't really like it is one thing, but to dump on it like it was one of the worst docs ever made is another.
You are wildly exaggerating and misinterpreting my actual comments.

I never said the movie was "one of the worst docs ever made". I just said that it's overrated. Whether you want to believe it or not, this isn't a deep expose of an important political issue. It's a very fluffy, hugs & kisses promotional piece about how important it was for the girls to stick together through hard times, and how they pulled through and made their best album ever. The movie's release was timed to coincide with said album. You think that was a coincidence? Please.

The movie shows the band being unfairly criticized and ostracized for an off the cuff remark that Natalie Maines made at a concert. That much is certainly true. But does the movie ever ask why the public overreacted the way it did? Never. Not even once. It shows psycho Right Wingers behaving like morons and threatening the women's lives. Scary, yes. What would prompt a person to get so worked up over a stupid comment made by a musician? Never addressed. The band declares vindication when Bush's approval rating plummets. Did someone think to interview a former Bush supporter and ask if they feel remorse about their previous actions? Nope. Not even considered.

These are interesting questions that might have given the documentary some substance.

If you pay attention, you can tell that one of the three Chicks isn't thrilled about the political controversy and is very worried about her career. Does the documentary ever ask her about these feelings? No. Not once. She's not allowed to speak them aloud. That would go against the film's mission statement of showing how united the band was. So she's shuffled off to the background to focus more on Natalie.

Terrible movie? No. Great documentary? Sorry, not in my estimation.

Last edited by Josh Z; 02-15-07 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-15-07, 12:57 PM

so I guess this is another Weinstein DVD that one will have to either buy straight out and/or rent from Blockbuster... ho hum.
Old 02-15-07, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
so I guess this is another Weinstein DVD that one will have to either buy straight out and/or rent from Blockbuster... ho hum.
That's what I thought, but Netflix shows it as being available to rent next Tuesday. Perhaps the Weinstein deal doesn't begin yet?
Old 02-15-07, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there an official press release on the 2 disc version?
Old 02-15-07, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by alfredog1976
Is there an official press release on the 2 disc version?
As much as you can believe another member, I can tell you that there will be a 2-disc release with a lot of bonus features including a full concert.
Old 02-20-07, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I went ahead and picked this up today because I saw a commercial on television saying that you can rent it today "exclusively at Blockbuster." It's still showing up on Netflix, though, so who knows. But I love the Chicks enough to cough up money on whatever they do.
Old 02-27-07, 08:36 PM

I respect the group a lot even if I'm not a fan of the musical genre -- in fact, I'm really glad they exist, because the country needed them whether they realized it or not -- and it was nice that they didn't try to hide how image-conscious they are. It's worth a rent, but there is something VH1 about the production and the DVD is completely bare-bones.

Most annoying of all is that one of the most famous celebrity photos of recent years got airbrushed and photoshopped on the cover.

Look at what a pisspoor job they did:

Old 07-09-07, 08:36 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any new news on this? I didn't buy the original release, because why double dip?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.