Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Metro Special Edition -- Eddie Murphy, do you think ever???

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 02-11-07, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This one needs a Special Edition with an Anamorphic Widescreen transfer, so any chance of a SE of the Eddie Murphy action film Metro? I think this is a great film from Eddie Murphy with excellent performances from Michael Wincott, Carmen Ejogo and Michael Rapaport, Denis Arndt and that cute Dog. If Murphy wins the Oscar for best supporting actor for Dreamgirls, and Paramount updates they're Murphy catalogue, this was one of his best films of the 1990's IMO, with great acting, action and directing, so I hope this underrated film from Murphy sees a Special Edition at some point down the road.
Old 02-11-07, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not a chance in hell this gets an upgrade
Old 02-11-07, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Considering this movie is usually seen in the "Free, just take it" bin at Wal-Mart, I doubt it will ever be rereleased.

I kinda liked it though.
Old 02-11-07, 09:01 PM

If you are after an anamorphic version...... well its a case of getting an R2 or R4 Aussie version..... but ..... being from R1 land I can only assume that PAL discs are totally out of the question.

Special Edition - NO CHANCE - unless you are willing to put up the money !! I wouldnt hold out hope for a HD release for a long while either.

Though - it does SUCK that Buena Vista released so many titles in NON ANAMORPHIC and ONLY came to the 16x9 party late. It wouldn't/shouldn't cost them too much to scrap all those titles and re-release them in 16x9 versions. It just shows you have stupid they were not to embrass anamorphic discs in the first place.
Old 02-11-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd say no. Not a great film after rewatching it recently.

= J
Old 02-11-07, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Id buy an SE if it was $9.99 or under.
Old 02-12-07, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, I don't think you'll be a seeing a new disc of this in any format for quite a while, unfortunately. I enjoyed it for what it was.
Old 02-12-07, 09:07 AM
Suspended

This is one of only two films I've ever walked out on in a theater. I think you should just feel lucky that it's on DVD at all.
Old 02-12-07, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Its been a while since I have seen it, I do remember enjoying it, so I would go for a new release, I have been avoiding this release because of the lack of 16:9.
Old 02-12-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I'd say no. Not a great film after rewatching it recently.

= J

I agree. I watched this years ago and had remembered liking it alot. When I watched this movie a second time about 1-2 years ago, I was not sure why I liked it so much the first time. Definitely not one to keep watching again and again as I like to do with most movies in my collection.
Old 02-12-07, 02:13 PM

Was this a Bruckheimer film or did it just have that feel?
Old 02-12-07, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
This is one of only two films I've ever walked out on in a theater. I think you should just feel lucky that it's on DVD at all.
Ouch! you obviously hated the film!

Originally Posted by djones6746
I agree. I watched this years ago and had remembered liking it alot. When I watched this movie a second time about 1-2 years ago, I was not sure why I liked it so much the first time. Definitely not one to keep watching again and again as I like to do with most movies in my collection.
I am the exact opposite, this film always just keeps getting better. Eddie Murphy in this film really showed he can do a serious role, much like in Dreamgirls, so I hope he does more movies like Metro or along the lines of a serious role, because he is just great at it. The Wincott character is a real messed up m**therf**ker, great villan and some action scenes in the film kept me on the edge of my seat, love the cat and mouse thing going on in Metro.

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Id buy an SE if it was $9.99 or under.
I am with you all the way, I'd buy it even at $19.99. The non-anamorphic release needs an overhaul and I'd love it to be in Anamorphic Widescreen so I can watch all the action like I did in the theater.