DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

bizarre dvd reflection obervation...

Old 02-11-07, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

bizarre dvd reflection obervation...

this might sound strange, but....

I just recently starting using those helical G.E. Energy Smart 26w light bulbs, and today I noticed something really strange about the reflections that dvds give off under this kind of light. Rather than a smooth, normal reflection, it's more like a wavy psychedelic pattern, but only with dual-layered discs.

Very strange. I have only been using these new light bulbs for about a week, and I just noticed this with the dvds that came in the mail today. At first I thought there might be something wrong with them due to them being outside on my steps in freezing temperatures all afternoon, but then I realized it was happening with the dual-layered discs and not single-layered discs. Then I realized it must be these new light bulbs, so I looked at the discs under regular light bulbs and they no longer looked funky.

anyone else notice this?
Old 02-11-07, 08:07 AM
Cool New Member

Now that you mention it... Yeah. But I never followed through on it. I'm going to get a few discs out and see what all this is about.

Closest thing to this I really checked out was comparing mainstream discs to cheap discs by holding them up to the light. Seems to me that you can see through the cheaper discs. Not that all mainstream discs are free from this. I equated it to A. plastic, B. thin info. layer. Seems generally the cheapoid discs turn into the invisible woman.