DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Last Unicorn SE - WOW

Old 02-07-07, 10:46 PM

The Last Unicorn SE - WOW

This has been a personal favorite since childhood, not only for my love of animation, but it was done by the guys who did "Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer" and "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town", and the "The Hobbit" - which is where you can really see the similarities in design. But I must say, IMHO, "The Last Unicorn" is the true masterpiece for this classic team of filmmakers. Everything works, and works fantastically.

I had only ever seen this on HBO as a child (a LOT - I admit) and I own (but have never watched) the 4x3, 1.33:1 DVD as an adult. So essentially, I have never seen this film in it's correct aspect ratio. In fact, I have not watched it in many years.

I was pleased to see that it was a true 1.85:1 animation cell after all, and we have been missing quite a bit of picture and storytelling all these years watching that horrible pan and scan version.

Also, I have to applaud Lionsgate for doing a pristine clean up job of the negative - the film just sparkles with color and beauty. The difference in picture quality between the old release and the new is shocking. Not just the aspect ratio, but the picture itself is just awful. Lifeless, flawed, and no color.

This is a good day then. A good day indeed. For those of out of the loop, and love animation, this is the one you have been waiting for. Enjoy.

Fingers crossed "The Secret of HIMH" looks this good!
Old 02-07-07, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I quite excited too. I went to conlanpress and helped Peter S. Beagle who didn't get paided for his work by ordering autographed versions.