Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

I want V: The Ultimate Collection

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-07, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want V: The Ultimate Collection

Any chance we will see V: The Ultimate Collection?

Including:
V The Original Miniseries
V: The Final Battle (mini-series)
V: The Complete TV Series
All in 1 package?

Anyone else like to see this happen?

I owned the mini-series on VHS and have held off purchasing the dvds (Mainly because I don't like the snapper cases)
Old 02-02-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the best we can hope for is a re-release in better packaging when (if) the new movie is done.
Old 02-02-07, 03:34 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since the miniseries are phenomenal but the TV show varies from meh to , I'd say I like things separate the way they are now.
Old 02-02-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieExchange
I think the best we can hope for is a re-release in better packaging when (if) the new movie is done.
I thought that project was officially cancelled?
Old 02-02-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
For what it's worth, IMDB has it as up in the air, pending "contact negotiations between NBC Universal and Warner Bros"
Old 02-02-07, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
According to KJ's website, it is still in the works. Book forthcoming mid-year as well hopefully.
Old 02-03-07, 11:28 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
You can pick up the Complete TV Series for very cheap. Amazon was selling it for ~$12 not too long ago, and it can be found used for close to that if you look around a bit.
Old 02-03-07, 01:43 PM

Yeah, I do realize that the entire series can be purchased rather cheaply. But, I just think it would be a great opportunity for Warner to release an Ultimate Collection. And it would just be my luck that this would happen as soon as I break down and buy the individual releases.
Old 02-03-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There are also some replacement cover art sites that have covers made by various designers to hold all six discs from the 3 collections. I downladed one and printed it out last year to combine my 3 sets into one.
Old 02-03-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bshassel
Yeah, I do realize that the entire series can be purchased rather cheaply. But, I just think it would be a great opportunity for Warner to release an Ultimate Collection. And it would just be my luck that this would happen as soon as I break down and buy the individual releases.
Totally agree. Something similar along the lines of the planet of the apes set.....with some type of head bust preferably.
Old 02-03-07, 03:21 PM

Living Dead would you mind posting the site for downloading the replacement cover?
Old 02-03-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by shacmasta
Something similar along the lines of the planet of the apes set.....with some type of head bust preferably.
That would be awesome, a head bust of a visitor with half of his face torn off.
Old 02-03-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd love for them to release the mini-series in their original aspect ratios this time around!
Old 02-04-07, 07:54 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Agreed, Julie!
Old 02-04-07, 10:08 AM

If this ever sees the light of day, you can have mine. V sucked. Would you really watch it again? With that lizard tongued baby and the spaceships that looked like DeLoreans?
Old 02-04-07, 11:51 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
If this ever sees the light of day, you can have mine. V sucked. Would you really watch it again? With that lizard tongued baby and the spaceships that looked like DeLoreans?
I suggest you go back and watch the original miniseries. It was compelling, with great performances.
Old 02-04-07, 02:12 PM

When this series was first aired on TV it was amazing. I was a little kid and watched each night with my mother and I can't remember a more exciting time watching television with my Mom. The series was exciting, sometimes scary and the special effects were wonderful for TV. Ethan, if you don't have any of these memories, than you must have missed out, or were too young to appreciate it. I for one will always have fond memories
Old 02-04-07, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ethan VanSciver
Hmm...yeah I have watched it a handful of times with the intent to watch these again in the future. We all have our own opinions however V was a great mini-series. The television series may have sucked but not the actual movies.
Old 02-04-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bshassel
Living Dead would you mind posting the site for downloading the replacement cover?
Bhassel, you've got mail.
Old 02-05-07, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd love to see this as well. I haven't seen The Final Battle or the tv show yet, and I would definately pick this up.
Old 02-05-07, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I'd love for them to release the mini-series in their original aspect ratios this time around!
Here, here, but I don't think Ken Johnson would allow that if he were participating, for the first one, anyway. He claims he shot it with a widescreen image in mind, eyeing a potential overseas theatrical release.

Thing is, though, no such release ever happened, so, to my eye, the original 4:3 image is the true OAR. It was never broadcast/screened as widescreen.

As for The Final Battle, there really is no excuse for that being in widescreen. Likely, WB did it that way so both mini-series would "match."

Whatever. I still have the OAR VHS release. If I had a laser machine, I'd probably look for the lasers. The matted image is precisely what kept me from buying the mini-series on DVD in the first place.
Old 02-05-07, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mythmaker18
Here, here, but I don't think Ken Johnson would allow that if he were participating, for the first one, anyway. He claims he shot it with a widescreen image in mind, eyeing a potential overseas theatrical release.

Thing is, though, no such release ever happened, so, to my eye, the original 4:3 image is the true OAR. It was never broadcast/screened as widescreen.

As for The Final Battle, there really is no excuse for that being in widescreen. Likely, WB did it that way so both mini-series would "match."

Whatever. I still have the OAR VHS release. If I had a laser machine, I'd probably look for the lasers. The matted image is precisely what kept me from buying the mini-series on DVD in the first place.
I thought there was, but it was outside the United States.
Old 02-05-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cardaway
I thought there was, but it was outside the United States.
At the time, both Salem's Lot and The Day After got international theatrical releases, so when Ken Johnson went to work on V, he shot it with the 1.85:1 aspect ratio in mind (or so he said when the DVD came out). I don't have any problem with the DVD release, it's the best the mini-series has ever looked. But back to the point, it never got the international theatrical release.

When V: The Final Battle came to DVD, there was a whole debate on if it was supposed to be matted or not. When the set streeted, there was a thread over at HTF which compared the DVD release to the laserdiscs back in the early 90s. The DVD had more information on the sides, but the laserdiscs had more on the top and bottom.
Old 02-05-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
The 16:9 transfers of both miniseries look well framed. If you weren't expecting them to be 4:3, neither would stand out as looking cropped or awkward. I don't have a problem with either one.
Old 02-05-07, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't mind the reformatting of the original miniseries, though the aspect ratio from the television broadcast would be appreciated. But I think The Final Battle should be opened back up to 4:3. Sounds like the matting was forced; DVDFile notes that shots sometimes feel too tight. All about intended composition.

I have always loved V. Have multiple copies from TV broadcasts through the years, and the original miniseries on DVD. Haven't gotten The Final Battle or the series, the former mainly because of how the disc was authored: Part 1 on disc 1, side A; Part 2 on disc 1, side B; and Part 3 on disc 2, side A. Disc 2, side B, displays nothing but the Warner Bros. logo. Sometimes how a DVD is put together can be a deal breaker-- or at least make that DVD a low priority.

Can't wait for The Second Generation, whenever Ken, Warner, and NBC can complete the deal. Hope they can get everything squared away quickly. Would love to see a release in spring or summer 2008. Even better would a 2007 release, but that may be expecting a bit much.

And the perfect follow-up would be an "ultimate collection" of everything V. Original series, The Final Battle, the series, and The Second Generation. I can imagine a black box with a red "V" on the front and all the titles down the spine. Like the Superman set. I would be all over that.

--THX

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.