DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   YABRT: Blade Runner Set on the Horizon...finally?!?!?! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/490966-yabrt-blade-runner-set-horizon-finally.html)

ukywyldcat 02-06-07 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by cbearnm
...but just wasn't the mind expanding experience that I was expecting.

One of two things may have happened here. First, you heard TONS of hype before you saw it, and it didn't live up to what you were told. I can see that happening very easily with this movie. For me, I saw it in the theater having only seen the trailer at the age of 12, and loved it the first time around. I went into it with no expectations and came out very impressed. The movie didn't have to live up to anything for me.

The second explanation is that you simply were not doing the right drugs.

Josh-da-man 02-07-07 01:16 AM

One problem that I think "Blade Runner" might pose to a newer audience is that it's twenty-five years old.

When "Blade Runner" was released it innovative. Nobody had ever done a science fiction movie that looked like that. Even at the time, the whole cyberpunk movement in science fiction was still in its infancy... Neuromancer was still two years away. Before "Blade Runner," (excepting "Star Wars" since it's not Earth-based) science fiction movie always presented a sterile, near utopian future filled with white people dressed up like dentists. BR presented a dirty, ad-filled, multicultural, high-tech, ethically bankrupt future. I mean, shit, take away the flying cars and replicants and we're living in it right now.

And moving beyond the science fiction genre, BR is one of those films that innovated cinema like "Birth of a Nation" or "Citizen Kane." You need some perspective in order to fully appreciate what it accomplished. Hell, twenty-five years later, and it seems like half of the movies that are being made now are aping things from "Blade Runner."

Lt Ripley 02-07-07 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by cbearnm
Actually, I believe you meant, 'batting 1.000'. 0.1000 is batting 100 :eyebrow:

Damn fingers. :blush:

FILMCZY 02-23-07 11:38 AM

This may have already been answered (sorry) but is the "limited edition" director's cut Warner recently released going to be included in the box set? I'm wondering if I should purchase it while it is still available.

digitalfreaknyc 02-23-07 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by FILMCZY
This may have already been answered (sorry) but is the "limited edition" director's cut Warner recently released going to be included in the box set? I'm wondering if I should purchase it while it is still available.

yes.

Spiderbite 02-24-07 09:58 AM

A quick question without having to start a new thread: I haven't seen Blade Runner since I was a teenager and didn't care for it back then. I wanted to revisit it since it has been over 15 years since I last saw it but did not know which once I should watch. I was going to Netflix just one of them and they have both the theatrical & director's cut.

Which should I choose? (And please don't say both.)

TomOpus 02-24-07 10:18 AM

Tough choice but I'd give the DC a shot.

too much 02-24-07 10:25 AM

I don't think Netflix has the theatrical version. The only version out on DVD is the director's cut.