Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone offer a laserdisc-to-DVD transfer service?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anyone offer a laserdisc-to-DVD transfer service?

Old 01-08-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kevkev
just curious as to a list of films that you may want to save onto dvd. what arre the top releases not on dvd? is it just the odd commentary here and there? what i'd like to see is someone recreate the old criterion laserdisc covers in a cd size form and then copy the laserdisc content onto dvd. it would be like owning a mini laserdisc collection.
I'm curious about this as well. Is there a thread listing all the movies available on LD that have not made it to DVD? Not alternate cuts or special features per se, but whole films? I never collected LD so I have no idea what's available.
Old 01-08-07, 05:38 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by joliom
I'm curious about this as well. Is there a thread listing all the movies available on LD that have not made it to DVD? Not alternate cuts or special features per se, but whole films? I never collected LD so I have no idea what's available.
LDDB.com is a good resource to see what actually exists on LD, but you'd need to cross-reference every title to see if an equivalent DVD had been released.

...hope that wasn't off-topic.
Old 01-08-07, 06:50 PM

I'm surprised with all the threads about movies not on DVD, nobody's started one specifically about what's on LD that isn't on DVD. Maybe I should go start one.
Old 01-08-07, 07:17 PM

Okay, I decided to be proactive. Anyone who wants to get the ball rolling listing what's available on LD that's still not on DVD, please help the cause:

Laserdisc titles still not available on DVD?
Old 02-18-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
I'm about to do this with my personal laserdisc collection - I still have my Pioneer 1070(?) and I just got a DVD recorder.

My impression, though, is since I'm really just recording analog to digital is that I will lose all chapter stops, and I can't duplicate the ability to show/not show subtitles and stuff like that - basically, if I want to 'preserve' secondary audio tracks and such, I just have to record it multiple times.

Am I right/wrong here?

(Personal use, only, of course.)
Old 02-18-07, 05:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Seeker
I'm about to do this with my personal laserdisc collection - I still have my Pioneer 1070(?) and I just got a DVD recorder.

My impression, though, is since I'm really just recording analog to digital is that I will lose all chapter stops, and I can't duplicate the ability to show/not show subtitles and stuff like that - basically, if I want to 'preserve' secondary audio tracks and such, I just have to record it multiple times.

Am I right/wrong here?

(Personal use, only, of course.)
Correct.

If you decide to use a PC to author, you'll have options to use different audio tracks and whatknot (what I do).
Old 02-18-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anybody know any good websites that explain the best way to transfer LDs and VHS tapes to DVD? I took note of the software that Mike Adams listed (BTW - I love PhotoShop for doing art, my port is at www.shamray.com) but if there was some place that listed the steps in the transfer process, I would definitely find it of interest.
Old 02-18-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Correct.

If you decide to use a PC to author, you'll have options to use different audio tracks and whatknot (what I do).
I CAN do that - is it much harder than using a DVD-R? I have a DVD-R drive and such...
Old 02-18-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joliom
Okay, I decided to be proactive. Anyone who wants to get the ball rolling listing what's available on LD that's still not on DVD, please help the cause:

Laserdisc titles still not available on DVD?
Believe it or not that will be a very large list
Old 02-20-07, 07:34 AM
Cool New Member

You're asking ME???

What *might* help you is the proper software. I believe that Toast 8 allows you to insert your own chapter stops, and even offers a still-frame table of contents, but I'm not sure. Basically, I don't want to get involved in what looks like an elaborate and expensive process just to upgrade a few LDs. Whether you wish to do so is up to you. But I really have no handle on the ins and outs of the recording process. Sorry.
Old 02-20-07, 09:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Seeker
I CAN do that - is it much harder than using a DVD-R? I have a DVD-R drive and such...

huh? You have to use a PC to author different audio tracks. It can't be done in a stand-alone.

I don't know what you're asking, honestly.
Old 02-20-07, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc

huh? You have to use a PC to author different audio tracks. It can't be done in a stand-alone.

I don't know what you're asking, honestly.
He's saying that he can (he is willing to try to) use a PC, but wants to know how much harder it will be that way.