DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Question about Ring IDs

Old 12-22-06, 01:12 AM

Question about Ring IDs

Where can I find a program/web site, which allows me to check if a DVD is authentic using ring ID?

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-22-06, 04:36 AM

well what disc do you need authenticating?
Old 12-22-06, 09:16 AM

In most cases you can spot a bootleg DVD because it will be on a DVD writeable type disc, instead of the stamped type...

If the play side is coloured, rather than silver/light gold, then you can be reasonably assured its a bootleg made by burning in a DVD writer of some sort and commercial DVD's aren't made that way. It's far too slow to produce the volumes required.
Old 12-22-06, 10:45 AM

it's pointless to advise on spotting bootleg dvds as all cases are different.
Old 12-22-06, 06:06 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by Nebiroth
In most cases you can spot a bootleg DVD because it will be on a DVD writeable type disc, instead of the stamped type...

If the play side is coloured, rather than silver/light gold, then you can be reasonably assured its a bootleg made by burning in a DVD writer of some sort and commercial DVD's aren't made that way. It's far too slow to produce the volumes required.
Sorry, but there are TONS of "pressed" bootlegs produced in Asia and other places. DVD-R bootlegs are the absolute bottom of the barrel, and those should be easy to spot before you even open the box to check the underside of the disc. I will say that a lot of pressed bootlegs seem to look more gold on the underside than pure silver, but a lot of them are indiscernable from any other pressed DVD, because that's exactly what they are.

On the other hand, anyone who knows what to look for can spot a bootleg in a matter of seconds. You just have to know what kind of artwork, packaging, and logos bootleggers use. It's surprisingly easy, but people continue to be duped over and over again.